Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

ToastGhost posted:

Wow what an rear end in a top hat lol.

I've been playing a lot of Baldur's Gate 3 (mid-third act) interspersed with Against the Storm for when I don't have time to really sink my teeth into a game. Both are excellent, but it's hard to beat BG3. Early game's probably the weakest part since it's so easy to die, but I've enjoyed every second of this game.

I'm loving it so much. It's such a well done game. I'm getting close to the end of the third act. The romance stuff is too funny though. Everyone needs to calm down. They're all like, heyyyyy, so, thanks for not killing me on sight, umm... You wanna gently caress? Barely said two words to Halsim since having him join the camp, then I go rescue him and he's all ready to jump my bones, the slut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Sarah Cenia posted:

yup.
same with Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, any of the Dark Souls games, lots of RPGs...

Fighting games are a total no-go, same with anything that has involved control schemes or battle systems...

I really only have the attention span for F-Zero 99 nowadays. 3 minute races. Before that it was Red Dead Redemption 2 but I was mostly birdwatching and exploring and also only ever played on edibles.

still beat it tho

Better than I managed. I don't think I've ever finished a Rockstar game since GTA3. They're amazing worlds, but eventually I get to a point of there being too much to do and I forgot what priority is what, where I am in the story, what the story even is, what I'm trying to accomplish, oh well I guess I'll just wander around and explore, get bored of that and stop playing.

Finger Prince

I finally finished BG3. I was going to jump right in with a new campaign, but, actually no. I'm good. Satisfied. The two endings I chose to do were an excellent end to the story. I'll put it on the shelf for a while.

Finger Prince

Swordsman VR is a kind of fun for about 20 minutes before the motion sickness kicks in. I could see it getting really boring and repetitive but thankfully/unfortunately I get to the point where I have to take the goggles off before I get there.
Fantavision 2020 VR mode is chill AF and reminds me of playing OG Fantavision on drugs back in the day.

Finger Prince

I've been completely addicted to Nobody Saves The World, which is sort of like a modern OG Zelda-like, I guess, with sort of a jobs system. It's pretty easy, but fun, and there is some strategy to the later dungeons where you have to consider what combinations of abilities are best suited for the monsters inside. It's free this month and well worth playing.

Finger Prince

I got Hardspace: Shipbreaker as the free game this month. Kind of tedious yet engaging at the same time. This game is begging for a VR port. In VR this game would be amazing. I love how deliciously cynical it is.
Then I got Gun Club VR to indulge my inner gun nerd without actually having to deal with gun nuts. Pretty cool shooting gallery game. I played it for a while so it's pretty benign for motion sickness. But now as I sit here on the can typing on the phone, my left hand isn't where my brain has just got used to it being. It seemed higher up than brain got used to. Weird how spending time in VR in a game where maybe one of your limbs isn't where your actual limbs are kind of fucks up your perception for a few minutes when you're done and back in the real world. Kind of hard to describe. But there's definitely an offset on the left hand in that game.

Finger Prince

When I was visiting my sister in December, I was playing Pokémon Go waiting for her to finish work. I joined a raid and one of the randos sent me a friend request when it was over, so I accepted. That was the day before I was leaving back home. So the first couple of days of exchanging gifts were postcards from pokestops in and around the area. Perfectly normal. Then when I got back I started sending postcards from Vancouver, Seattle, and around there, then a few from England.
I like to think some Japanese kid who maybe thinks they're living in the rear end end of nowhere, suddenly starts getting postcards from around the world from some rando they friended at the train station, and they think it's pretty neato, and makes them curious about the wider world and maybe they go travel one day because of it.

Finger Prince

I've been watching a bunch of Real Civil Engineer on YouTube playing cities skylines 2 and he makes it look pretty fun, and I kind of want to play it, but I'm worried it's going to be not as fun as he makes it look.

Finger Prince

I tried out the demo of Bulwark on PS5. Neat sort of city building, resource fetching game. Really cool graphics, interesting concept, but completely hamstrung by terrible camera control. Like, it's really bad. Maybe they fix it on the full production game, because it feels like a game that should be good. As it is though it's frustrating enough to make me not want to play it.
I don't know if it's a result of being an indie game where the devs are the playtesters or something, so they don't see the problem, but how do you gently caress up an overhead camera system so badly?

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 20, 2024

Finger Prince

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Just hopping in to say that helldivers 2 is really, really quite good. You and 3 dudes get dropped on a planet to gently caress up either bugs or terminators, your weapon choices largely don't matter (just play what's fun!), and you will inevitably get blown up a bunch by your teammates but that is okay, as long as you serve the federation and complete the mission nothing else matters.

You have like 20 respawns between your team, but they have to call it in with a button combo and pray they don't die while they are doing it.

*someone* will scream what the gently caress is that, call in an airstrike on it, and then it will charge you killing you all with the airstrike.

You can get revenge with the respawn pod, it gets dropped from space and you can steer it directly into the large thing that murdered you, or alternatively your buddy

The gameplay loop is wonderful, you are just trying to survive with ya Bois and take those dirty roaches down with you.

A+, it is the most BYOB of shooters.

drat that sounds great. I saw that in the store and thought hmm, this looks like it could be pretty fun.

Finger Prince

Lmao I called my ship The Superintendent of Individual Merit

Finger Prince

I can't believe helldivers 2 was only $50 Canadian. It's so good and so fun! I know the server capacity issue is a meme now, but I haven't had any trouble logging on.
I spent most of the day yesterday playing and I love how it's the kind of game you can invest some time in if you want, or if you just want to jump on for an hour or so of wanton violence after work, you can do that too.
I'm sure there's try-hards out there like in any game, but so far everyone is mostly not annoying. I had one rando, who was the only one on voice chat, complaining about how people weren't respawning him quick enough for his liking. I kind of feel like enabling my mic and saying something like "voice chat is a frivolous distraction and an enemy to the spread of democracy! Maintain radio silence, soldier!"

Finger Prince

Gaylor Moon posted:

FF7 rebirth comes out today and I'm not able to play until it comes to PC nnfngggg. I am v jealous and want am gonna try my hardest to avoid spoilers, bleh

I've been looking forward to this for so long. The first installment was amazing.

Finger Prince

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Sifu was free on PSplus and i'm digging it, it's this weird roguelike kung fu game and you can do insane combos and wild moves and there's a thing where when you die you get older which means your damage dealt goes up but your health goes down. barely beat the first cycle on Student and now i'm going back and replaying to get the "good ending." Short but sweet. lovely game.

I downloaded that too, only had time to play through the tutorial/into. Great button masher! If it relies on me remembering specific complex button+stick combos though, I'm gonna suck at it in short order.

Finger Prince

rear end-penny posted:

nice! thanks friends. this is all good stuff to know. I don't have any PS4 games (the only PS I own is a slim PS2), still have most of those and even some original PS games. I will be shopping for new stuff too, but I don't suppose that it's completely backwards compatible?

The controller redesign is interesting to me! I'm shocked Sony kept that dual shock controller so long. I mean, it was a fine controller, I never had problems, but the Xbox controller seems like it has been retooled every step of the way, and the PS controller just lost it's cord and was given a big ol light on the front for some reason.

mfp thank you for the economy option too, but I just got my tax refund and it's like, exactly what a PS5 is. so like I said to the guy at the liquor store yesterday afternoon when I had exact change: looks like god wanted me to have this box of wine PS5

If you get one higher priced tiers of PS Plus subscriptions, you get access to a huge amoun of back catalog games from previous PlayStation versions. It's slightly annoying having to pay for online access, but the free games you get from Sony kind of offsets that.

Finger Prince

Saoshyant posted:

It's both a joke but also frustration on a generation that is entirely composed of remasters and half sequels that just resemble the games that came in the previous gen and do little new. And when you add that most games are actually cross-gen (still coming out on PS4 and Switch) and that Switch is seven years old now, and this new generation is turning into just a big "eh".

Dunkey has been vocal about it since the release of the PS5/XSX consoles, how there's no "wow" factor anymore. Just slightly prettier games that cost more, bankrupt more studios in the process, and the market is entirely composed of more expensive hardware whose cost doesn't really justify itself. The PS5 will be four years old in some months, and the well known meme about "the PS5 has got no games" remains true because it never got any mind-blowing exclusives during all this time. Sony even went8 as far as shut down many of their studios in the last few years, resulting in no variety for its first party games.

And this year Sony will be releasing a PS5 Pro, a "mid-gen" stopgap until its PS6 is ready. But... why? The average person will likely get more fun out of a Switch, a Steam Deck, or even the cheaper Xbox Series S + GamePass.

I think the no good games on PS5 is a bit hyperbolic. Sony certainly suffered during covid with hardware issues and everything, along with everyone else. I hadn't heard about the pro version of ps5, but they did the same for PS4. Mid cycle hardware upgrade. I guess fun is relative. Also, PSVR2 is probably the cheapest route to VR gaming, even factoring in the console cost. If you're the kind of person who builds and maintains a four figure gaming PC, a PS5 probably isn't going to tickle your fancy. The switch has its own niche that stands alone, imo. If you're a console gamer at heart though, I think it's a solid choice.

Finger Prince

more falafel please posted:

there just isn't much further we can take graphics in a way that adds extra enjoyment, tbh. resolution is already basically peaked. if you have a screen of a reasonable size for a living room and you're sitting 10' away, you're basically never going to tell the difference between 4K and 8K. my vision kinda sucks so honestly 1080 and 4K don't look that different. modern games render 4K at 60fps of basically photorealistic environments and characters with great lighting and shadows and subsurface scattering and real-time raytracing in certain cases on commodity hardware you can buy at target for under $500. and it looks a little bit better than it did 10 years ago

We've always been saying that though. "Wow, look at these environmental effects, these textures! So realistic! Surely we've reached the peak, I don't know how graphics can improve from here..." -first time playing OG Skyrim
I know immersion doesn't necessarily equal enjoyment, but it is important for me. That's why I got a VR headset. VR is amazing, but there's a ton of room for improvement in graphics there. Especially looking at what you need in the way of PC hardware to run it well.
Games aren't really at a photorealistic level yet, imo. They're convincing, but there's a long way to go, and it isn't necessarily about resolution, it's about how many moving things you can show on the screen, and how those things are animated. Things like pushing realistically through foliage. Leaving persistent tracks, realistic environment destruction, there's a lot more to graphical realism than just resolution and frame rate.

Finger Prince

In the pseudo realm between sleep and waking, I received a vision.
Helldivers 2 x Pokemon.
Strategems are now Pokeballs.
Calling down a Charizard!
Dropping a Snorlax!

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

hello video games thread, if you had say only 5 hours left to live and you decided to spend it playing cyberpunk 2077 what would be your top ten things to do assuming you start at level 1

no rush, i have all weekend but after a total of 5 hours playing i WILL die

Spend 5 hours in the character creator making the perfect V.

Finger Prince

I've been playing final fantasy 16 all day, just button mashing my way through story mode difficulty. I am not inclined to learn all these button combos or use the evade button for this game. Thankfully I don't have to! And it's actually quite enjoyable. I'm really enjoying the story and the game is gorgeous AF. I like how there's the usual what the gently caress is even going on magic and giant monsters storyline intertwined with a really solid revolutionaries fighting to end slavery normal world storyline too. The godzilla scale Eikon battles are suitably epic too.

Finger Prince

What if there was a bladder mod for FPS games? Like your bladder gradually fills up during the game (maybe not all in one match, if you're playing short matches, thought that would be funny), and beyond a certain point it starts effecting your aim. Then you have to find cover and drain the lizard or drop trou and squat, depending on your avatar, leaving you vulnerable for 15-30 seconds or so. The longer you leave it, the longer it takes to empty. This would fit best in a survival shooter like Tarkov, or Battlefield conquest maps, but would be funny to implement in short deathmatch maps too. Forcing snipers to get up and piss behind a tree once in a while would be good too.

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

death stranding has a piss mechanic because of course it does

I forgot about that! You fill up piss bottles and throw them at the bad ghosts to drive them off or something.

Finger Prince

Death Stranding is just Amazon Delivery Simulator, so it makes sense that there'd be a piss mechanic.
In my naivety, I thought it would be funny in an FPS if you had to duck behind a bush before assaulting an objective or whatever. Of course now it occurs to me that this would add a whole new dimension to teabagging, and people would use this exclusively to piss on the corpses of defeated enemies.

Finger Prince

Duke nukem 3d I think you could piss in the urinals.

Finger Prince

RDR2 has both human and horse toileting content, but I think it's more just there for flavour than as a necessary action.

Finger Prince

I wonder if anyone has made a pee mod for skyrim...

Finger Prince

Pee mod for Skyrim VR that's so immersive you'll actually piss yourself.

Finger Prince

I'm like level 38 in FFXVI, and I've been playing with the auto attack ring (ring of timely strikes), because I really can't be assed with this game. It's pretty funny to come across some bandits robbing someone and rushing to their aid, then unleashing an apocalyptic cluster gently caress of explosions and meteor strikes and tornados, and just completely obliterating the bandits. Then the dude you rescued is like "thank goodness you came along when you did! Well, must be running along!", and just not acknowledging at all, the war crime he just witnessed you commit on those bandits.

Finger Prince

This game is so chaste, lmao.
They kissed! They finally kissed!

Finger Prince

Especially compare to BG3 which is just like hey so I know I've only said 3 words to you all game, but wanna gently caress?

Finger Prince

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i just hope the renewed interest in the ip convinces them to remake new vegas in a more recent engine

i know its not that simple but i feel like i never really gave it a chance because i played it after playing 3 to death

It's seems like it's more for the benefit of 76.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeEG_l_hhFk

Finger Prince

Philippe posted:

I don't think we're getting a cyberpunk-esque success story out of starfield

Did they completely rewrite the story and all the characters and hire devs who've actually worked on a half decent driving game and have them completely redesign the driving from scratch or something?

Finger Prince

Philippe posted:

Yeah, Cyberpunk was always good at the core. The characters, story, and quest design are all excellent, and improving the gameplay to match makes them shine even more.

Then the anime, fantastic DLC, consistent patching, and added romantic interactions just added to it.

I don't get that feeling from Bethesda at all.

I've talked about this before, but I guess my issues with cyberpunk aren't about how well the story is told or how well the characters are written, it's how it's told and how it's written.

I don't like how, at every turn, it tries to force you accept merging your brain with a gaslighting narcissist who literally tried to force himself on you when first introduced, and when you resist is all "Hey baby, don't be like that, you need me." and then at the end, when you are finally given the option to free yourself of him, the ending you get is "you die alone in space. The end."

Also, Panam's dialog isn't different whether you're a male or female, and since she's written as a romanceable character, it leads you in that direction, until you get to the point where you can make a move, and she's all "eww gross I don't like girls". But will still text you after like "hey bb I miss you, BTW can you help me move a fridge?"

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

this will be my fourth attempt at the nere / duergar fight in bg3 because i keep getting mind controlled and kicked into the bastard lava

Haha I cheesed the hell out of that one. Got everyone on the gallery that overlooks the area, took one guy down to initiate dialog and misty stepped back up there, then just controlled the fight with the ladder choke point and focusing on their archers. Used crowd control spells to slow the advance of their tough guys. You can retreat a couple of steps back out of LOS with your squishies after they drop a payload below to keep them safe. Sometimes (especially later in the fight) a baddie can pathfind his way up the ramp to you, but you can guard that effectively with your melee guys.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 23, 2024

Finger Prince

This big death scene in FF16 is so OTT omg this voice acting.

Finger Prince

I guess it's realism, but I broke Karlach's romance plot (kind of*) myself, by doing a long rest just before an encounter and not initiating dialog with her, not realizing that if someone wants to talk to you in camp and you ignore them because you're just stopping to heal and regain spell slots, they won't want to talk to you ever again and won't tell you why they're suddenly not interested, and they won't ever bring the subject up again, while you try to figure out what you did wrong.

*there are still lovey dovey dialog options later on, but sex is completely off the table.

Finger Prince

I finally beat FF16 the other day. Even for a final fantasy game it felt like playing though an interactive movie melodrama.
I did like the "time to kill God, because gently caress that guy, he's an rear end in a top hat" finale though. It had good parts, but not enough to recommend it or call it a good game.

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i am still trying to finish baldurs gate 3, latest setback was where i finished the act 2 boss, spoke to everyone afterwards and then realised i should probably have had shadowheart with me

then reloaded, got all the way through the fight, spoke to everyone, got outside and tav developed a bug where she could not interact, there was no ui and just the word skip in the lower right like she was stuck in a cutscene

went to reload my save, it was from before going into the act 2 boss fight :smithicide:

this was after having to redo most of act 2 after doing the crypt / gauntlet first and then discovering that this kills the hostages because you are supposed to march into the main boss area first, discover he's invincible, break out the hostages, buy a bunch of stuff, and then do what seems like a sidequest

although if me freeing the prisoners in front of a scrying orb that called for reinforcements twice doesn't make j jonah jameson turn hostile, i don't know why an aasimar who he instaknocks out twice would

i have found baldurs gate 3 to be incredibly well written in terms of plot and characterisation but it feels like i have had to restart a whole hell of a bunch of times because the sequencing is weird

karlach tho :3:

I ditched Shadowheart in camp in act 1 and never spoke to her again. The only place I missed having her was her specific character quest content in act 3, but I managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

watho posted:

idk its full of moments and details that put it at least in pretty good tier for me. i don't love it but i'd play it over almost anything bethesda has made or the like. i'm trying to think of the most mid game i've ever played but its really hard to remember something so unmemorable

Assassin's Creed: Every Assassin's Creed