Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I've been playing The Long Dark all year. It's a pretty good survival sim that has kept me entertained. The apocalyptic meta-narrative seems thematically relatable, and it's nice when I'm feeling cooped up to pretend I'm wandering around outside. Only complaint is that the wolves suuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks

Been playing Thea 2 for a few days. I enjoyed the hell out of Thea 1 due the Slavic folklore, and the best crafting system I've experienced in a game, but got pissed at all the trap options and repetitive combat. All that is in the sequel. Unfortunately the interface seems clunkier than the original, and the map is cumbersome to use in a way that feels like sloppy design. Like, when a hex tile has an event on it, the label covers like three other tiles, so I always move onto the wrong space. Also it's annoyingly hard to select my party. I am having fun discovering all the different kinds of party members I can have. It was quite a shock to have one of my children grow up into an undead skeleton ("Rejoice.")

Buttchocks

Further adventures in Thea 2:

There's a lot of tongue-in-cheek. Like, if you befriend the elves they will offer to level up your animal companions, resulting in the option to "train your cock".

Also any of your adult party members can mate and reproduce (humanoids, animals, the undead, demons, dragons, etc.), with some peculiar results. A human with a ghost resulted in a fully-formed adult unliving corpse, who promptly joined the party. Producing offspring is turning out to be a large part of this game.

Buttchocks

Binged through Superliminal yesterday. It was disappointing to see an innovative and interesting mechanic squandered on such poor writing and gameplay. The 'it was a dream' fakeout is such a tired cliche, and the 'oops you fell through the floor' fakeout gets obnoxious after the first 10 times, and it wasn't even clever the first time. By the end, you're not even solving puzzles; it's just walking down a corridor. I did enjoy the puzzles that weren't based on finding a path with the lights off. At the very least, it would have been fun to make more objects interactive. I can't help contrasting this with Gorogoa, which also had a cool, unusual mechanic but managed to do something really artistic with it.

Buttchocks

Been playing Terroir, the wine-making sim. I'm not much of a wine person, but there are some vineyards near where I live, so it's interesting learning about the different varieties and processes. The learning curve wasn't difficult, in part because your options are very limited at the beginning. It's fun, and I get laugh when Piss Castle Winery wins an award. The exotic varieties don't seem to be worth the effort unless you're going for an achievement. Maybe if you were allowed to grow more than three varieties at a time. There's no real incentive to use the Chance or Circumstance cards except to make something happen. Considering they're supposed to be a reward for producing 5-star wines, the rewards are never worth the hassles or penalties. Also, I'm not sure whether they're supposed to be random, because I got the same cards in the same order on two play-throughs. I think it would work better as random events rather than optional ones. I also wish there were some in-game mechanic for getting drunk. "Oh no, you drove your tractor into the lake!"

Buttchocks

I've been playing Castles and Kingdoms and holy poo poo is it addictive. I'll sit down to play for an hour and suddenly it's 5am. The city building is very solid, but I kinda wish there were more objectives or challenges or technology tree. There's no real end state other than "I'm bored now."

Buttchocks

Yaga is fun and the soundtrack is bangin'

Buttchocks

Still having fun playing Castles and Kingdoms. you can tell this is a fantasy game because the highest budgetary expense for my city is librarian salaries.

Buttchocks

I was really getting into Xenonauts but it kept crashing my entire system.

Buttchocks

I started playing Stranded Sails because I wanted a fun adventure game. It's more like a chore simulator, but whatever, it's cute. Except for the monkeys. There are monkeys that show up and beg for food. If you give them food, they give you treasure. They also lie on their backs and spread their legs open. It seriously looks like they're presenting themselves. It made me think of that awful story about the orangutan that was being abused. Fortunately its' not the only way to get treasure in this game made for children.

Buttchocks

Curious Expedition 2 is on sale at GoG. I had a lot of fun with the first one.

Buttchocks

Heather Papps posted:

kid with a morrowind dad getting in a scrap with a kid with a skyrim dad

Trying to say hello to the metal gear family that moved in down the street and having to wait 20 minutes to get a word in.

Buttchocks

I enjoyed slay the spire until I got to the boss and realized it's one of those games where I have to choose between having fun and actually winning. I do like the artwork though.

Buttchocks

got back into kingdoms & castles. Some new features since I last played. Curse my obsession with maximizing efficiency!

Buttchocks

Played through Strange Horticulture over the weekend. I love the concept, the art, and the writing. I did get pissed off by the deliberately vague descriptions of the plants though. "Don't touch the Soul Devouring Hellflower, or you will suffer an eternal fate worse than death. You can easily identify and avoid this plant by its green leaves that grow from a stem." thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Buttchocks

I figure now's a good time to get into Frostpunk.

Buttchocks

Finished playing Sable, a fun sci-fi desert exploration game. Kind of like BOTW-lite. I really suck at platforming, but the game made it pretty easy and fun. I like the art design too.

Buttchocks

Spellcaster University is really fun. It is a bit repetitive, so I will probably burn out on it sometime. I think with just a few tweaks it would be even more enjoyable and give it more replayability. My biggest gripe is that I want to watch what's going on in the school but have to keep an eye on the events that pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks

Playing Inkulinati now. A game where medieval marginalia fight each other appeals to me.