Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I would say that the vast majority of people who have ever changed a wheel never owned or used a torque wrench, and wheels dont fly off as often as the thread seems to imply.

Did you read a single word I posted? Like, yeah, sure, you're ~probably~ going to be fine. But the other side of that probably is extremely bad so you should ~probably~ try to avoid it as much as possible, especially when all it takes is to buy a special version of a tool you were going to use anyway.

I get it if you literally cannot get access to a torque wrench in any way sure, yeah, fine. But that's not the sort of behavior that should be encouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
And in thy days of the service park did Ari Vatenen raised the impact driver up on high, saying, 'Begark, bless this thy impact driver , that with it thou mayst tighen all thine lug nuts, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sausages, and steak, and beer, and Coke, and breakfast cereals, and hot chips, and FIA scrutineers...

And the Lord spake, saying, ''First shalt thou shall set the torque. Then shalt thou count to three ugga duggas, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four ugga duggas shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five ugga duggasis right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then remove thou thy Holy impact driver of Finland from thy lug nut, who, being before being loose in My sight, shall not be

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I placed an order last night for spare parts but decided not to get the torque wrench :)

I just can't decide if it's a bad or good choice to buy a cheap one but also I can't afford a new one. Like I think 20 is worth fussing about.

e:
Also I've seen the workers in shops change other peoples tires when picking up my own cars over the years, they tighten with an impact only. So having it done professionally at the places I've been to, don't involve no torque wrenches.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 26, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

totalnewbie posted:

Did you read a single word I posted? Like, yeah, sure, you're ~probably~ going to be fine. But the other side of that probably is extremely bad so you should ~probably~ try to avoid it as much as possible, especially when all it takes is to buy a special version of a tool you were going to use anyway.

I get it if you literally cannot get access to a torque wrench in any way sure, yeah, fine. But that's not the sort of behavior that should be encouraged.

Its a generalized comment, not about you. I dont know why you thought I was attacking you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I placed an order last night for spare parts but decided not to get the torque wrench :)

I just can't decide if it's a bad or good choice to buy a cheap one but also I can't afford a new one. Like I think 20 is worth fussing about.

e:
Also I've seen the workers in shops change other peoples tires when picking up my own cars over the years, they tighten with an impact only. So having it done professionally at the places I've been to, don't involve no torque wrenches.

They usually use "torque sticks" that get it "close" to what the factory spec should be. Tire shops are trying to get you the gently caress in and the gently caress out afap so they ain't got time for that poo poo. But a torque stick can get you close enough.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Shoot an email to Ryan at ADKOS -- rbarrett@adkos.com. They did an excellent job moving my car from NC to WA.

I contacted these guys and one of my cars is supposed to get picked up today. They seem alright, they do have a hard sell script they read when you try to get off the phone with them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crossposting from my TSD thread:

Is there any salvaging this, or should I start unwrapping and butt splicing?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

If it's like that where you can see it, it's like that other places. I'd start unwrapping and repairing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's done. It said bake until flaky.

Seriously though, that insulation is trash and I'd expect the rest of the harness to be bad too. Can you get better pics of the connectors? You might be able to buy new pins and simply make a whole new harness with the same connector housings.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, I'll take better pictures of the connectors in the morning.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Oof, good lord.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sleepy gary posted:

Oof, good lord.

That was my reaction, more or less.

kastein posted:

That's done. It said bake until flaky.

Seriously though, that insulation is trash and I'd expect the rest of the harness to be bad too. Can you get better pics of the connectors? You might be able to buy new pins and simply make a whole new harness with the same connector housings.

The 6-pin connector:

Some quick googling reveals that it's probably made by Tyco-AMP-TE Connectivity. I don't see good matches on the 964961-1 part number, but there are some things labelled 964960-1 that look very similar.

The 2-pin connector:

8bux on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166218358625, but I'm not sure about the individual pins.

The fact that the 6pin connector has square holes while the 2 pin connector has cross-shaped holes makes me wonder if they're not made by different manufacturers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that 6 pin looks identical to BMW audio plugs.

number 6:

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/gen...d=2122336232&q=

https://www.znmperformance.com/bmw-universal-socket-housing-uncoded-kit-genuine-bmw-61132359992/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Connectors:

Make sure you check the keyway fits (if it exists)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If none of those work you can usually find weatherproof connectors at Napa and the like. In my experience they come with pins and all you do is crimp the wires to the pin, insert in the right hole and done.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

totalnewbie posted:

Connectors:

Make sure you check the keyway fits (if it exists)

This

Often if you see a connector in multiple colors that's seemingly identical, it has keying to only plug into the matching color so assembly line techs can't plug things in wrong even if they wanted to.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Good eye. Same manfacturer.

wesleywillis posted:

If none of those work you can usually find weatherproof connectors at Napa and the like. In my experience they come with pins and all you do is crimp the wires to the pin, insert in the right hole and done.

If this is a huge boondoggle, I might just desolder the pigtails from the sunroof controls and make my own pigtails with deutsch connectors. I've already got them and the associated criping tools, etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

kastein posted:

This

Often if you see a connector in multiple colors that's seemingly identical, it has keying to only plug into the matching color so assembly line techs can't plug things in wrong even if they wanted to.

O2 sensors for GM had 4 choices for colors and 8 keyways. Sleeves also came in grey or black.

Each color/keyway/sleeve color combination was assigned to differentiate different sensor suppliers, sensor type, keyway, etc.

GM wanted to change one thing and so I spent an hour sitting down with a DRE to go over which vehicle was in which vehicle plant and had what part numbers and what color connectors and keyways and oh my god what a headache. Yep, that's what it's like being an engineer. Sorting colors and shapes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Safety Dance posted:

That was my reaction, more or less.

The 6-pin connector:

Some quick googling reveals that it's probably made by Tyco-AMP-TE Connectivity. I don't see good matches on the 964961-1 part number, but there are some things labelled 964960-1 that look very similar.

The 2-pin connector:

8bux on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166218358625, but I'm not sure about the individual pins.

The fact that the 6pin connector has square holes while the 2 pin connector has cross-shaped holes makes me wonder if they're not made by different manufacturers.

I dunno what kind of car this is, but I just watched a youtube about a car catching fire and the reason was that the insulation had degraded in the wiring harness, because for those particular years (84-86) of that particular car the manufacturer experimented with a different type of wire insulation that was biodegradable. It was just falling apart by then. So based on that I would be a bit worried if the rest of the wiring looked like this.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

I dunno what kind of car this is, but I just watched a youtube about a car catching fire and the reason was that the insulation had degraded in the wiring harness, because for those particular years (84-86) of that particular car the manufacturer experimented with a different type of wire insulation that was biodegradable. It was just falling apart by then. So based on that I would be a bit worried if the rest of the wiring looked like this.

I... want things to be environmentally friendly but what the gently caress.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mercedes also did this in 92-96 I heard.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Also, seem to recall a manufacture (I'm thinking perhaps BMW) where fluids would siphon into the wiring harnesses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Colostomy Bag posted:

Also, seem to recall a manufacture (I'm thinking perhaps BMW) where fluids would siphon into the wiring harnesses.

mk IV Volkswagens where fluid would siphon in to the tail lights eventually

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

mk IV Volkswagens where fluid would siphon in to the tail lights eventually

Ah I guess it was blinker fluid

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Ah I guess it was blinker fluid

Any fluid can be blinker fluid if you're brave enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

DildenAnders posted:

Any fluid can be blinker fluid if you're brave enough.

I know what I must do but I know not if I have the strength stamina to do it.