Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how does it more accurately represent the real mileage?

I guess one could make a case that the difference between 300,000 miles and anything above that doesn't really matter to most, where if it was to do a full rollover there'd be the potential for someone to think a high mileage one was in fact low mileage. Constantly resetting to 300k is better than resetting to 0 in that case.

That's a real stretch of logic but it's the best I can come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how does it more accurately represent the real mileage?

Because if it reset to 0 or 100k or 200k it would be less representative.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm considering a set of aftermarket wheels for my WRX and I'd need a hub centric ring for the majority of wheels I was looking at but in browsing Subaru forums there were people arguing (of course) that you should skip the rings and just buy wheels with the correct bore. From the handful of wheels I've been interested in they don't sell them in the OEM bore so I was wondering what wheels other than OEM would even have that size since they would want them to fit most cars?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wolrah posted:

I guess one could make a case that the difference between 300,000 miles and anything above that doesn't really matter to most, where if it was to do a full rollover there'd be the potential for someone to think a high mileage one was in fact low mileage. Constantly resetting to 300k is better than resetting to 0 in that case.

That's a real stretch of logic but it's the best I can come up with.

Personally with a digital odometer my preference would be make it count up till maximum readout, then roll over but start flashing. Wouldn't even be hard to implement in code and would add zero cost to each unit after that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If speedometers can go to 180mph in cars that rarely see 60, we should have 7 digit odometers.

Imagine that flex, “oh, your odometer only goes to 999,999? “

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of upgrading, I got to thinking about longevity. Is there such a thing as a modular buy-it-for-life car? I like the idea of getting a solid reliable vehicle and going full Ship of Theseus on it, replacing any old or worn out part with newer compatible ones. I know that cars have a lifespan and everything dies eventually, but maybe there’s some enjoyment and cost savings to be had out of continuous upgrades and replacements instead of buying a new one every ten to fifteen years or some expensive bullshit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of upgrading, I got to thinking about longevity. Is there such a thing as a modular buy-it-for-life car? I like the idea of getting a solid reliable vehicle and going full Ship of Theseus on it, replacing any old or worn out part with newer compatible ones. I know that cars have a lifespan and everything dies eventually, but maybe there’s some enjoyment and cost savings to be had out of continuous upgrades and replacements instead of buying a new one every ten to fifteen years or some expensive bullshit.

That could be any car if you have the money and the interest. You may have trouble finding parts for rarer cars, but parts will be available forever for mainstream cars.

What you're describing is "restoration." Every few decades, strip it down to bare metal, take apart everything that can be taken apart, and replace or repair everything that's worn. Then put it all back together and drive it for a couple more decades.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pollyanna posted:

it’s called being an AI poster, and yes, as long as you protect your car from rust there’s theoretically no limit to what you can baby and replace. There are Honda Accords and whatnot hitting a million miles. The biggest limiting factor for a car where you live is rust and nothing else comes close.

Most good cars in New England ultimately succumb to rust way before they completely fail mechanically in such a way where you couldn’t hypothetically drop in a used motor or transmission or do a rebuild or whatever if your drivetrain suffered some catastrophic issue. Most cars never even get to that point, they simply get too far-gone with rust.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe I’m just really bad at sourcing parts for my existing car. :v:

trilobite terror posted:

it’s called being an AI poster, and yes, as long as you protect your car from rust there’s theoretically no limit to what you can baby and replace. There are Honda Accords and whatnot hitting a million miles. The biggest limiting factor for a car where you live is rust and nothing else comes close.

Most good cars in New England ultimately succumb to rust way before they completely fail mechanically in such a way where you couldn’t hypothetically drop in a used motor or transmission or do a rebuild or whatever if your drivetrain suffered some catastrophic issue. Most cars never even get to that point, they simply get too far-gone with rust.

Ugh, yeah, I’m honestly surprised my Civic hasn’t flaked away into nothing by now. But drat it needs a hell of a deep clean and some new hubcaps n poo poo.

Though supposedly Civics are disposable starter cars, no? Are they intended to be scrapped rather than maintained or upgraded?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 13, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Shamelessly quoting my invisible post from months ago as I am changing back to my summer tires and just saw that I have a broken coil spring on my Corolla.
Thus, this repair needs to be moved significantly up the priority list.

The TLDR is as below. Is Gabriel brand stuff better than Monroe, or FCS in the quick strut department?

wesleywillis posted:

2009 Corolla, 2.4l engine, manual trans.

Several years ago I replaced the struts, springs etc with new stuff. I wanted KYB struts as they were the OEM poo poo and I wanted OEM poo poo.

Unfortunately, there did not seem to be available at the time (and still aren't apparently) KYB quick struts. So I had to buy all the individual components and put it all together with spring compressors which was sketchy as hell but I did it and everything worked the way it was supposed to.

I want to avoid that this time so I've been trying to cross reference part numbers and see if I can use quick struts from a Corolla S on my XRS model.

So far I have found:

Rear springs are the same. Or at least, the Moog part numbers are the same for the 1.8l and 2.4l models. If I had to guess, I'd say that they are the same from other manufacturers as well.

According to the KYB website, the rear struts are different part numbers.
Rock auto also lists them as different also.

According to both KYB and Rock auto, The front struts are the same part number between the XRS and S models.

On the Moog website, the S model front springs are a different part number from the XRS model.

So: different struts on the rear, but the same springs. On the front, different springs but the same struts.

For the front, I guess I can see why there are different springs. Different engines, one heavier than the other.

But why the poo poo would there be different struts (but the same springs) in the rear? They both have a twist beam rear axle. As far as I know the only difference is rear discs vs rear drums, but the studs bolt on to a stud behind the hubs, so there Never mind.

Fake edit: The rear twist beam axles are different.

Looks like I'm not going to get KYB quick struts.

I guess my options currently are FCS, Monroe, and Gabriel.

Anyone have experience with any of these? I've always said that Monroe products are the parts that you put on your car if you're about to sell it and want to advertise that it has "New (whatever)". But maybe they're not that bad anymore. The others I've never really heard anything about them. Good or bad.

The car will be 15 years old in September and I split driving duties between it and another vehicle, so its not getting as much mileage as it used to but at the present time I'm palnning on keeping it for the foreseeable future so I want to use decent quality parts on it.

TL;DR - Are Gabriel, Monroe, or FCS quick struts good or bad?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe I’m just really bad at sourcing parts for my existing car. :v:

Ugh, yeah, I’m honestly surprised my Civic hasn’t flaked away into nothing by now. But drat it needs a hell of a deep clean and some new hubcaps n poo poo.

How does the undercarriage look? You can replace subframe and control arms/etc (and you probably should do the latter along with the bushings and suspension after enough time and miles) and, for a valuable enough car, there’s theoretically no limit to the amount of sheet metal you can replace if you’re willing to pay for it or do the labor yourself, but yeah undercarriage rot is gonna be what ultimately decides your car’s longevity in most cases unless you like total it before then

You can be proactive/reactive about extending its life now by regularly rinsing it weekly/bimonthly in the wintertime and maybe looking into some kind of rust protectant.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t even know how to get under a car to check. I’m extremely car ignorant. Best I can do is change a wheel if necessary (and my spare is currently stuck under a rusted and broken nut I can’t undo). This sort of stuff would definitely be easier if I had a garage or something, but I just have an apartment with a 4-car parking lot out the back.

Hell, I patted myself on the back last winter for figuring out that I could just go to Autozone and buy new wiper blades when my old ones got worn out instead of asking them to change them out whenever I went in for maintenance.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I mean, just like look underneath it. Look at the bits connected to the wheels and also look at the underbody. Is it like hella rusty where big chunks are breaking off or is it relatively fine?

Maybe take a couple of pictures and show us.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pollyanna posted:

The richest person I know on a day-to-day basis, who was the CEO of a small pharma company that was bought out by a gigantic pharma company, is still driving the 1994 Ford Expedition he bought new 30 years ago. I think it has about 900,000 miles on it. There's not an original part left on it besides the frame and some of the body. He likes it. He doesn't want anything else.

He also still lives in the 2-story, 4-bedroom house right along a busy main road that he raised his kids in, even though he's probably got a 9-digit net worth by now. He's that kind of guy. He arranges his life so he can feel like it's 1993 forever.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pollyanna posted:

First-generation Mustang
Air-cooled VW

Arguably, you can build an entire car from the available parts alone, if you have a mind to.

One of the main reasons I stick with vehicles built before 1974 is the ability to repair them. It of course does depend on the car. 1gen Camaros are another that would work.

Probably the ultimate would be a Checker Marathon.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

trilobite terror posted:

I mean, just like look underneath it. Look at the bits connected to the wheels and also look at the underbody. Is it like hella rusty where big chunks are breaking off or is it relatively fine?

Maybe take a couple of pictures and show us.

Ehh…

https://youtu.be/AcvlgX2uNNY

https://youtu.be/DaXjD6grzCg

It’s getting there.

Under the hood:

https://youtu.be/EDmQvPfT0kw

https://youtu.be/S6Q9YN108zk

If it matter.

PainterofCrap posted:

First-generation Mustang
Air-cooled VW

Arguably, you can build an entire car from the available parts alone, if you have a mind to.

One of the main reasons I stick with vehicles built before 1974 is the ability to repair them. It of course does depend on the car. 1gen Camaros are another that would work.

Probably the ultimate would be a Checker Marathon.

Maybe I should invest in my car education with a My Summer Car playthrough :v:

Eric the Mauve posted:

The richest person I know on a day-to-day basis, who was the CEO of a small pharma company that was bought out by a gigantic pharma company, is still driving the 1994 Ford Expedition he bought new 30 years ago. I think it has about 900,000 miles on it. There's not an original part left on it besides the frame and some of the body. He likes it. He doesn't want anything else.

He also still lives in the 2-story, 4-bedroom house right along a busy main road that he raised his kids in, even though he's probably got a 9-digit net worth by now. He's that kind of guy. He arranges his life so he can feel like it's 1993 forever.

:hmmyes: That guy’s got it figured out.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

First-generation Mustang
Air-cooled VW

I’m fairly certain someone could build a VIN-less Mustang from the Jeg’s and Summit catalogs alone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Full Collapse posted:

I’m fairly certain someone could build a VIN-less Mustang from the Jeg’s and Summit catalogs alone.

I've heard that too.

How the gently caress would that even work? I guess it would vary by country/ state etc, but could someone do that and then legally register and drive it?
Would it get a kit car title?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Ehh…

https://youtu.be/AcvlgX2uNNY

https://youtu.be/DaXjD6grzCg

It’s getting there.

Under the hood:

https://youtu.be/EDmQvPfT0kw

https://youtu.be/S6Q9YN108zk

If it matter.

Maybe I should invest in my car education with a My Summer Car playthrough :v:

:hmmyes: That guy’s got it figured out.

That looks really good, tbh. Worst case scenario it looks like some of the bolts and some of the fasteners could use a cleaning or replacement eventually. Maybe some of the subframe components could use an eventual sandblasting and respray, but not for a while

Other than that just keep the car clean and rust/saltfree. Don’t let it sit covered in salt for the whole winter. Make sure there aren’t any hidden rusty pockets in the chassis or spots where the salt and grime accumulate. If there’s surface rust on the body, get it looked at and make sure it doesn’t spread or go deep into the metalwork

TBH if you take basic care of the car, get your oil changes done in a timely fashion, and keep it clean I see no reason why it can’t comfortably last you at least another decade, maybe way more. How many miles does it have?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To me that all seems "crusty but structurally sound". The only real problem is you're at the point where all of the paint on things like your control arms has already failed, so they're going to continue to rot and may eventually become unusable from rust alone. But, control arms are also wear items that can be replaced easily and you can buy them fully loaded so you're getting fresh bushings and ball joints at the same time.

wesleywillis posted:

I've heard that too.

How the gently caress would that even work? I guess it would vary by country/ state etc, but could someone do that and then legally register and drive it?
Would it get a kit car title?

I would assume that's an option, since functionally it's no different than someone building a Cobra kit car, and it's probably the most legal option as well.

However, unlike a Cobra, there are lots of Mustangs and VWs (and every other "can build it from a catalog" car out there - tri-five Chevy, Camaro, C10, etc) in near-unrestorable condition. I've seen people selling a rusty C10 cab with a VIN tag and a title for a bit over scrap value, and the VIN tag and title are the only parts that end up on the resulting truck. This is legally questionable / a ship of Theseus issue; if done poorly, it looks like trying to re-VIN a stolen vehicle. In practice... this poo poo happens all the time and I suspect as long as it's done well, it gets through.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pollyanna posted:

Though supposedly Civics are disposable starter cars, no? Are they intended to be scrapped rather than maintained or upgraded?

Important thing to note: a car isn't a PC. You can't swap a motor as easily as you can swap a graphics card. If you have, say, a 2014 Honda Civic, all the parts you could easily replace will be designed for a 2011-2014 Honda Civic. If you want to upgrade the suspension, you'll have to find companies that specifically make suspension parts for a 2011-2014 Civic. You can't decide you want Mercedes suspension and a big Ford V8 and the all wheel drive system out of a Subaru WRX without doing significant custom fabrication and probably dropping six figures on a four figure car.

If you want a modular buy-it-for-life car, your best bet is something they made a billion of. Toyota Corolla or Ford F-150 or something like that. There will be parts available for decades.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To clarify for the goon asking about keeping a car going forever - it's just that the rate of failure gets so high when the car is extremely old that the value isn't there - it's more economical to buy a newer vehicle at some point. Even the most economical car with available parts will eventually hit a point where the two lines cross and it's not worth your money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think new cars sold today have like 30 computers in them and in 20 years none of those specific computer boards will still be made and they'll be un-maintainable within 30 once old stock of those parts runs out. Modern cars are vastly, vastly safer though so if you care about not dying, please just drive a reasonably modern vehicle. I say that as a Car Liker and AI alum: playing around with old cars that you can rebuild forever is a cool and good hobby, but if you are going to get smashed by one of today's enormously overweight road queens, you want to do it inside a car with 8 airbags.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You will be able to get parts for a 1965 Mustang for the next 200 years.

But Biden is going to ban gasoline so you’ll have to put an electric power plant in it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The best answer is the Gruman LLV, aka the mail truck. Iirc they came out in 1986 or there about, all aluminum so they don't rust, dead simple drive train.

To bad they're dangerous unfun poo poo boxes. Good mail truck for the time though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I started doing the rear disc brakes on my 2016 Ford F150 without putting the truck in brake maintenance mode, mostly because I didn't know it existed. So I got the brakes all apart. I need to withdraw the calipers to get the new pads over the new rotors. So I looked up the procedure online since I've never done pads with an electronic parking brake before. At this point I put the truck in brake maintenance mode and the dash now says "Parking Brake Malfunction Service Now".

What the hell do I do?

Edit: I just got squirted with brake fluid from the rear right caliper, the side with the destroyed rotor. It squirted from between the rubber boot and piston. Do I have a bad caliper too?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 13, 2024

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Hey thread. My stupid 2020 Chevy is acting up again.

Used torque with a scanner and it looks like my "throttle" is up near 30 even when the car is off?

My radiator fan is running nonstop after the car is off. It's like 75f here today, but the car was off for like 20 minutes and the fan stayed on. This happened before but when I brought it in they said my battery was on the way out. When I got a new battery it seemed to have gone away, til now.

I replaced the throttle body after getting a p0299 (I think?) Code, and I haven't gotten that code since. But now this. Frustrated.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 90k miles well maintained

I drove it all around town this morning, highway, stop and go, no problems at all. Got home, parked it in driveway.

I get in a few hours later, start it, put it in reverse and the car vibrates/shakes in reverse and drive. I turned it off and on again, same thing. Took other car instead.

What the heck?

Googling says it could be a bad coil pack and to disconnect them one at a time while the engine is running to find the bad one. Is that a safe thing to try?

Edit: And it’s fine now an hour later…..??

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 14, 2024

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Several goons here have done it over the ages.

Leperflesh posted:

I think new cars sold today have like 30 computers in them and in 20 years none of those specific computer boards will still be made and they'll be un-maintainable within 30 once old stock of those parts runs out. Modern cars are vastly, vastly safer though so if you care about not dying, please just drive a reasonably modern vehicle. I say that as a Car Liker and AI alum: playing around with old cars that you can rebuild forever is a cool and good hobby, but if you are going to get smashed by one of today's enormously overweight road queens, you want to do it inside a car with 8 airbags.

Twenty year old cars have 20 some odd computers in them. L322 rangies based on the first gen x5(2003-2005) iirc had 23 on board. I once met a person that put their battery in backwards taking all of them plus the water cooled alternator out. In 2011. Pretty sure it was a write off.

yamdankee posted:

2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 90k miles well maintained

I drove it all around town this morning, highway, stop and go, no problems at all. Got home, parked it in driveway.

I get in a few hours later, start it, put it in reverse and the car vibrates/shakes in reverse and drive. I turned it off and on again, same thing. Took other car instead.

What the heck?

Googling says it could be a bad coil pack and to disconnect them one at a time while the engine is running to find the bad one. Is that a safe thing to try?

Edit: And it’s fine now an hour later…..??

Don't unplug the coils while its running. That's not kind to the pcm. Try instead to pull pending misfire dtcs and counts off the pcm.
Old coils tend to flake out when heat soaked.

kid sinister posted:

I started doing the rear disc brakes on my 2016 Ford F150 without putting the truck in brake maintenance mode, mostly because I didn't know it existed. So I got the brakes all apart. I need to withdraw the calipers to get the new pads over the new rotors. So I looked up the procedure online since I've never done pads with an electronic parking brake before. At this point I put the truck in brake maintenance mode and the dash now says "Parking Brake Malfunction Service Now".

What the hell do I do?

Edit: I just got squirted with brake fluid from the rear right caliper, the side with the destroyed rotor. It squirted from between the rubber boot and piston. Do I have a bad caliper too?

Forscan may cover resetting the epb system. There is not supposed to be brake fluid there. You'd have a soft pedal/loss of reservoir level too so also check that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

Forscan may cover resetting the epb system. There is not supposed to be brake fluid there. You'd have a soft pedal/loss of reservoir level too so also check that.

Yeah that truck is going to the shop after I do my taxes. So is that a confirmed bad caliper then? That would explain the error message.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hark posted:

Hey thread. My stupid 2020 Chevy is acting up again.

Used torque with a scanner and it looks like my "throttle" is up near 30 even when the car is off?

My radiator fan is running nonstop after the car is off. It's like 75f here today, but the car was off for like 20 minutes and the fan stayed on. This happened before but when I brought it in they said my battery was on the way out. When I got a new battery it seemed to have gone away, til now.

I replaced the throttle body after getting a p0299 (I think?) Code, and I haven't gotten that code since. But now this. Frustrated.

Since it's likely a digital throttle I would look into whether there's some calibration you're supposed to have done when you replaced it.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

VelociBacon posted:

Since it's likely a digital throttle I would look into whether there's some calibration you're supposed to have done when you replaced it.

Came pre-calbirated and I did that swap a couple months ago at this point. I tried taking out the fan relays and putting them back in and that seems to have fixed it for now? I hope my ecu isn't hosed and that I just need (a) new relay(s)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

kid sinister posted:

Yeah that truck is going to the shop after I do my taxes. So is that a confirmed bad caliper then? That would explain the error message.

My father in law had this happen on a similar model year Edge. The error is because you didn’t put it in service mode. He had to get it towed to a dealership to be reset. (You could probably do it with FORSCAN, as mentioned earlier)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Leperflesh posted:

I would rather institute harsh legislation to force all these road queens into the trash compactor.

I think 30 years for a modern car made after 2015 or so is probably very generous.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anyone have opinions or recs for wall mounted tire racks? Just looking for something to store winters and summers, eight tires total.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a 2008 Prius and I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance for oil changes. However, since I WFH, I mainly just drive to Costco and the grocery store.

I last changed the oil in November 2021 but I've only put 4,000 miles on the car since. After a recent 800 mile round trip to see the eclipse, I checked the dip stick and oil levels were a bit low, though I still got 50+ mpg for the trip; the 4,000 miles includes that trip.

My questions are:

1) If I don't put on many miles, how often should I change my oil?

2) Should I do a full oil/filter change, or can I just add oil? I have 1.5 qt left in my 5 qt jug from the last oil change.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Every year.
Do the full change. Only add if you're low

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to find a head unit for my minivan (2019 Dodge Grand Caravan though I don't think it particularly matters), and I have no idea what a reputable site or brand is. Anything I should look for/avoid?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

big black turnout posted:

I'm trying to find a head unit for my minivan (2019 Dodge Grand Caravan though I don't think it particularly matters), and I have no idea what a reputable site or brand is. Anything I should look for/avoid?

Can't go wrong with Crutchfield.com. Their "Find what fits my car" section is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a 2008 Prius and I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance for oil changes. However, since I WFH, I mainly just drive to Costco and the grocery store.

I last changed the oil in November 2021 but I've only put 4,000 miles on the car since. After a recent 800 mile round trip to see the eclipse, I checked the dip stick and oil levels were a bit low, though I still got 50+ mpg for the trip; the 4,000 miles includes that trip.

My questions are:

1) If I don't put on many miles, how often should I change my oil?

2) Should I do a full oil/filter change, or can I just add oil? I have 1.5 qt left in my 5 qt jug from the last oil change.

It takes me about three years to put 4000 mikes on my antique.

I change the oil every other year although an annual change would probably be better.

When you run the oil up to temp, acids form and when it sits, the oil continues to oxidize / get darker.

Another aging juice: brake fluid. I have to cycle out my brake fluid every three years because it starts absorbing water the minute the seal is broken on the bottle.

Unlike my father, I am not a chemist, someone qualified please feel free to chime in.

Old-car maintenance is more time- than mileage-based. It's a bit weird.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 15, 2024