Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I think the civic liftback has a bit more butt behind the tires than a 3 as well, which is just straight up cargo space.

The past few generations of 3 have looked like they’ve got relatively long hoods, but I don’t think that’s true compared to other midsized cars. Just an aesthetic trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

drhankmccoyphd posted:

just for a bit of context I don't really care about the scuff / scratch or the car but right now I'm gunning for a trade in and I'm trying to minimize the deductions with the least amount of effort.

Is this a lease return or a car you own and are trading in on another purchase? Because if it's the latter, anything more than a quick wash is money wasted because trade-in offers are always going to be based around wholesale value, not "good vs better".

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is this a lease return or a car you own and are trading in on another purchase? Because if it's the latter, anything more than a quick wash is money wasted because trade-in offers are always going to be based around wholesale value, not "good vs better".

Fair enough. Yeah it's a financed car I'm trying to trade in, but I swung by my local body shop in town and they charged me $25 for a touch up. I'd say it's money well spent:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

$25 is well worth it for that, and also tells me the previous damage was almost entirely paint transfer from whatever you hit / hit you.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

IOwnCalculus posted:

$25 is well worth it for that, and also tells me the previous damage was almost entirely paint transfer from whatever you hit / hit you.

Yup, it was from scraping a pile on in a cramped parking garage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Car veers slightly left, this is how I have to hold the wheel going straight ahead. Now I've done a lot of work on the right side front wheel, the whole hub was off, I replaced the lower ball joint and renovated the brake calipers (that on both wheels). Can the swapping of the lower ball joint cause this? I figure if so it must have affected the camber of the right wheel a little. I didn't touch the toe adjustement nor changed any joints there. Tire pressure what pretty close too (2.7 bars or so, about 39 psi).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pretty normal procedure to have an alignment done after any suspension work.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Seconding; even after disconnecting & reconnecting a ball joint or other suspension, it is possible to need an alignment.

After replacing any suspension component (except maybe shocks if the car doesn't have integrated struts) an alignment is required.

What you are experiencing is completely normal after the work that you did.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also any car can need an alignment after a few years or one savage pothole anyway

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What is that yellow convertible that Walter Goggins' character drives in the new Fallout series? I like how the doors slide forward into pockets in the front fenders.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

kid sinister posted:

What is that yellow convertible that Walter Goggins' character drives in the new Fallout series? I like how the doors slide forward into pockets in the front fenders.

I haven't seen the show, but that sounds like a Kaiser Darrin. Neat cars.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

salt the fries! posted:

I haven't seen the show, but that sounds like a Kaiser Darrin. Neat cars.

Wow. I think we have a winner. Thanks!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PainterofCrap posted:

Seconding; even after disconnecting & reconnecting a ball joint or other suspension, it is possible to need an alignment.

After replacing any suspension component (except maybe shocks if the car doesn't have integrated struts) an alignment is required.

What you are experiencing is completely normal after the work that you did.

I've been looking into how to do it myself and it seems pretty doable at home.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've been looking into how to do it myself and it seems pretty doable at home.

I wouldn't want to be doing that at home for the first time by myself. Shops these days mostly use a digital system that will give you a printout of all your alignment metrics also which is nice to have for peace of mind. Doing it with string is possible but not easy and I would want to have a pro show me how before doing it myself. It's a very greybeard race mechanic thing to bang out a good alignment with string.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Perhaps the first time, but it's not a viable long term solution to go a shop every time I deal with the front suspension components on this car because that's gonna happen again soon by the look of some drive shaft gaiters. I feel I should be able to perhaps machine something more solid to measure between the wheels than string.

I got this car with the intention of doing all the work on it myself, at one point the engine will come out for an overhaul and I plan to rebuild the gearbox then too. I might get a spare engine and gearbox first though to look over and get used to it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Get a Firestone lifetime alignment? Does that still exist?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Perhaps the first time, but it's not a viable long term solution to go a shop every time I deal with the front suspension components on this car because that's gonna happen again soon by the look of some drive shaft gaiters. I feel I should be able to perhaps machine something more solid to measure between the wheels than string.

I got this car with the intention of doing all the work on it myself, at one point the engine will come out for an overhaul and I plan to rebuild the gearbox then too. I might get a spare engine and gearbox first though to look over and get used to it.

You may have to accept the fact that some things you probably can't do yourself. Whether you want to or not.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A wheel alignment ain't it...

e: We'll see if I dunning-krugered myself later.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 18, 2024

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wesleywillis posted:

You may have to accept the fact that some things you probably can't do yourself. Whether you want to or not.

So far that list includes getting myself a laser alignment machine, rebuilding an automatic transmission, rebuilding a steering rack, and rebuilding an AC compressor. I've already done all the rest, it just took 16 years of nearly pathologically self reliant car nerding to reach that point.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's good, I'm only 10 years in on the pathological self reliance nerding so far.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Check out paco moto hub stands. There are fancier but $1k vs texa$.

https://pacomotorsports.com/

https://i.imgur.com/p3o1jU7.jpg

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kastein posted:

So far that list includes getting myself a laser alignment machine, rebuilding an automatic transmission, rebuilding a steering rack, and rebuilding an AC compressor. I've already done all the rest, it just took 16 years of nearly pathologically self reliant car nerding to reach that point.

A couple things I've resigned myself to farm out...and it basically boils down to shop space:

1) Tire balancing. Yeah, could score some old school balancer being pitched...

2) Thing I absolutely have no desire for: Alignments. I've gotten by "batching" up all the work and dragging a vehicle in once to get it over with. I'll get what I think is close with a tape measure and everything else to get it there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I paid $300 for a fmc 7600/7700 mounting machine and $250 for an accuturn 1450 balancing machine back in 2017 and I think I've already paid for them in mounting and balancing fees alone. The reasoning wasn't so much cost as freedom, it allows me to do my tires any time I have time instead of having to make time during the business day, and allows me to hold my usual 0/0 balancing standard instead of whatever the abused flat rate tech doing the work thought was close enough, which often depends on how much they hate their boss today and how close it is to a smoke break or lunch.

I can also mount burnout tires for free as much as I want which is nice because paying 20+ to have them mounted and arguing about whether they're roadworthy or not every time significantly reduces the fun involved.

The mounting machine is definitely not particularly kind to the lips of fancy alloys and stuff but it works great on steelies and beater alloys which is all I have.

You couldn't convince me to do other people's mounting and balancing for regular rate but if anyone local to me wants to do their own, bring tires and wheels and I'll teach you how to use my machines for like, a cheap dinner at the local Chinese buffet or something.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Colostomy Bag posted:

A couple things I've resigned myself to farm out...and it basically boils down to shop space:

1) Tire balancing. Yeah, could score some old school balancer being pitched...

2) Thing I absolutely have no desire for: Alignments. I've gotten by "batching" up all the work and dragging a vehicle in once to get it over with. I'll get what I think is close with a tape measure and everything else to get it there.

These are the two things I really wish I could do at home easily :(

I lack the skill, tools and space

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why doesn't anybody make a generic TPMS relearn tool, excepting GM vehicles?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Why doesn't anybody make a generic TPMS relearn tool, excepting GM vehicles?

The Autel TS508 does a decent job.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Full Collapse posted:

The Autel TS508 does a decent job.

For at least $250.

Why is such an important tool being made by only one company for such a high price?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

For at least $250.

Why is such an important tool being made by only one company for such a high price?
Here's a weird brand for $129 (right now, anyway, $159 regular price):

XTOOL TP150 TPMS Relearn Tool 2024 Newest Version, Tire Pressure Light Reset, All Universal Sensors Activation/Relearn, XTOOL TS100 Sensors Programming Only

The reviews appear to be good except for idiots who can't figure out how to use tools, but ya know, try it out inside the return window.

At least for some brands, there's a solid argument for buying the generic tools, though - the GM one I just used was $10 and worked fine, there's a Motorcraft knockoff for Fords for $12, etc. Some manufacturers appear to have sufficiently complex systems that there aren't cheap tools readily available, and there's definitely a point where you might want to be able to cover other brands, but ... I think I'll probably just buy the Motorcraft knockoff and call it good for $22.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've got a 2017 Nissan that plays MP3 files in the order they were written to the subdirectory. It sorts directory names, but not files. I don't understand how this made it into production.

In any case, I'm curious if any of you nerds have written something like a shell or Python script that will:

1. Take one or more directories full of songs as input
  2. Convert .ogg and .flac files to .mp3, copying over metadata tags
  3. Copy the .mp3 files into some other directory, with a naming template something like "$artist - $album/$trackno - $trackname.mp3"

I'll probably be writing this damned thing, but I figured, SomethingAwful is old and full of nerds, maybe somebody's already done it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
As for #3, bulk file renamers do exist.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kid sinister posted:

As for #3, bulk file renamers do exist.

Yeah I have a bulk renamer, I want something that leaves the originals and only uses this weird scheme for a handful of albums because Nissan only shows filenames. :argh:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You know, you might be better off asking in the Inspect Your Gadgets or No Music Discussion forums here.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

In retrospect, I think I just needed somewhere to complain about my car's stereo.

Thanks for listening ;)

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

May be the wrong place to ask, but can anyone recommend a simple welder for doing body work? Just looking to patch some rust spots.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Welding sheet metal is extremely difficult with a cheap MiG. It’s slightly more controllable with shielding gas.

I bought the cheapest MiG Harbor Freight sold: dial for feed speed and two rocker switches (4-settings) for voltage. Started out practicing with no gas, then added CO2 (left-over from a kegerator) then bought a tank for 75/25 CO2/argon. I still burned through thinner areas (with hidden rust) & had to get creative with backing materials here & there.

The welder was about $350; the tank was $325 off Amazon with a full load. Refills were about $75. I welded up the body on my Econoline, used about 7-lbs of wire and two tanks of mix. The steel was 20-22-gauge.

If you go this route I highly recommend extensive practice first, to find the best pace as well as the settings (mine were almost always on the lowest possible).

I heard frequently that TIG is the best & easiest for thinner sheet metal steel, also for aluminum. I was committed but probably would have gone TiG if I was doing it again.

I also bought the cheapest self-darkening mask HF sold and it worked flawlessly. No retinal damage.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 21, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Anybody in here ever use an Echo Bluetooth trailer brake controller? Using with a Tacoma and Scamp camper.

PO threw one in with a camper I picked up last year. It hooks up and pairs with my phone just fine. In neutral, it actuates just fine either with the "button" in the app or with the brakes applied. However, as soon as I'm driving, it constantly applies what feels like about 2-3% braking power. Not enough to make it difficult to drive, but enough to slow it down a little quicker than with no brakes at all while coasting. And enough to make the brakes hot as gently caress in about 4 miles. There's a little braking meter displayed when you're going and it shows the needle just flickering into the red off zero, so it seems like the fault is definitely with the controller and not with the system on the trailer. Either that or something is happening in the factory trailer pigtail on the truck when it's in gear and in motion.

As far as I can tell, the electronic brakes on the camper will only work if there's a controller in line, as it tows perfectly fine without one. I don't like the idea of a Bluetooth version anyway, so I'll probably get a wired one installed in the truck pretty soon. But I'm wondering if there's a simple fix here so I can use the trailer brakes on an upcoming trip with this thing.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 22, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Luna posted:

May be the wrong place to ask, but can anyone recommend a simple welder for doing body work? Just looking to patch some rust spots.

Just to add to what painterofcrap said, since there's been a complete technology shift in welder technology from transformers to inverters, there's lots of older high quality MIG machines available (at least in my local used market) and they go for cheap. Their main drawback is that they are very heavy compared to new stuff, and lack all the bells and whistles the new inverters are capable of. What you get in return if you score a nice old unit is quality construction for you money, which can very helpful. A good consistent wire feed mechanism all the way from spool to nozzle for example is important when MIG welding thin sheet metal which is indeed pretty unforgiving. Also good shielding gas, which is gonna be expensive anyway go go about procuring it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Welding rust is one of the most difficult parts of welding. A good welder with gas is minimum IMO.

I weld straight CO2 these days but it's more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Would it be super tacky if i bought a new white camry, two tone it and add paint/decals/wings to make it look like ae86 trueno / Hachiroku?

Without the japanese characters.

How expensive is it to make a paint job additions look like its straight from factory?

Also how hard is it to keep a white car clean and not look grimy/cheap?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 22, 2024