Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

Unleashing the Fire Within
2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L engine - 144,000 miles on it. Bought brand new in 2002. I'm the only owner - she's my baby.

Today my car decided to stall on me in drive while coming to a stop at a red light. I fired it back up and drove to the grocery store, where I was headed in the first place. Car stalls again as I'm parking. I fired it back up, only to have it stall while in park. I'm able to drive the car just fine with the ole "one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas" trick. Brought it home and sat in the car for a few minutes and it was running/idling just fine without my foot on the gas in park. I noticed recently that it was idling a little low whenever I stopped at a stop light or whatever, but it's never stalled on me like it did today. There are no codes and nothing else seems wrong with the car (it's not acting funny in any other way other than the funny idle/stalling issues).

I have an appointment with mechanics tomorrow morning to get it checked out. I'm thinking it could be a fuel filter, spark plugs or maybe the mass air flow sensor (known to be an issue with these Nissans). My questions are:

1. Does the 2002 Nissan Sentra even have a serviceable fuel filter? I keep reading online that it does not and I'd have to change out the entire fuel pump instead (??)

2. Wouldn't the mass air flow sensor throw a code?

3. Could it be anything else?

I'm trying to determine if I should just have the spark plugs and fuel filter done or if I should spend the $89 diagnostics price to have the mechanics just tell me what it is.

AquarianFire fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

No check engine light. I do not have the ability to check the codes without going somewhere, and honestly, I'm a little chicken poo poo to drive the car. My boyfriend drove it home for me today. We actually left he grocery store and drove right to Pepboys. They were super BUSY and my boyfriend wasn't too keen on waiting around for a couple of hours just to be seen, so we made an appointment for tomorrow morning.

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

mr.belowaverage posted:

No, it does not.

Unplug the MAF. Any change?
Phyiscally remove the crank sensor and check for oil in the connector.

Well I ended up spending half the day at the mechanic. Mass Air Flow sensor cabling was acting weird - fixed that. Then it wasn't getting the right airflow anyways...replaced the MAF. Then the car started throwing codes left and right. Half the engine was running rich... all the fuel injectors were running high (over recommended amount). Mechanic said we could replace them all or just flush the fuel system and see what happens. Repairing just the items above was around $800 .... so I said "gently caress it"... put everything back to the way it was when I came in and drove the junker over to a car lot and traded it in for a new car.

I've been looking at getting a new car for a while now and it's not like I couldn't afford it. The 2002 Nissan Sentra I purchased brand new in 2002, so it gave me a good long run and it was time to put her to bed. I walked off the lot with a brand new 2014 Nissan Sentra SR in a very beautiful metallic blue. :) I'm sad to see my old beast go, but this new car is the bomb.