Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I am likely buying a truck from a sweet old dude who lives a block over. 2010 GMC sierra 1500 SLE, 5.3 v8 flex fuel. 195k miles. One owner, full maintenance history. Very light rust, rockers have a little and the frame rails have some light surface stuff, but for a 10 year old Michigan truck it is in seriously good shape. I drove it last night, trans shifts great, engine pulls hard, AC is cold. All looks really good. I want to give it a really good once over with a flashlight this weekend before I haggle with him a bit, what sort of stuff should I look for that is specific to this truck? I have never owned a truck, a GM vehicle, or anything with this much chrome. Plz help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

This. I was going to post this exact thing while I was reading GM/Michigan.

Thanks guys, didnt think about that, but I will take a deep look at em.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If anyone cares I bought that GMC 1500 truck I mentioned a few pages back. Planning on some por15 work to fix a few spots but otherwise shouldn't require much work at all. Feels like we got a good deal on it!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Will that buff out?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Lol RIP. Sorry dude.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This happened today:
:sweatdrop:

The car started and I was able to extricate it from impending doom. It seemed to run fine going home, but the clutch engagement seemed maybe a bit jerky the first few miles. Hard to say for sure, I dont know if water could get to the clutch friction plate or something when some of the transmission is immersed like this. Maybe just me looking for a problem that likely isnt there.

I've had a couple people tell me to call my insurance company saying it could be totaled. That seems unlikely to me, but I am no expert. Thoughts? The water level was pretty close to the bottom of the door, maybe within .5" towards the front.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Did it seep into the floorboards? If not you should be good. Clutch should dry out just fine as well.

Carpet isn't wet.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Update on my Fiesta submarine. Smelled mold this morning in car, rear carpets are soaked. Not sure how I didn't see that on Saturday. Guess I'm calling my insurance company.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hope so. It's 250 I think.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

8th gen civics are notorious for failed compressors/ clutches. It's a real bummer and what ultimately caused me to sell mine, because it is VERY difficult to get to and replace.

That being said make sure you troubleshoot all the usual stuff in the AC thread, relays pressures etc. But gird your loins for a compressor replacement.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Father Jack posted:

Car is a 2010 Civic hatch. UK spec 1.8si.

My wife got some combination of ABS, VSA and tyre inflation warning lights on the last mile of her trip home today. When it happened she was crawling in heavy traffic. I went down to check it out and no error lights.

Brakes seem fine, fluid level is ok, tyres pressure 1psi lower on one corner (3 at 29.5, 1 at 28.5, should be 30), but it's been more off in the past than that without showing an alert.

She can't be any more specific about what she saw than I've put above, and I didn't see it myself.

Would stuff like this throw OBD II codes that I could pull even if the dash lights have gone out? I have a little bluetooth reader, but couldn't get it to pair with my phone.

Should we run it some more and see if the warning comes back? Or take it straight to a garage?

Odd combo of warning lights, but worth checking battery voltage and possibly wheel sensor/wires. The ABS/VSA are definitely tied to the wheel speed sensors on most cars.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Check the forums for your car, I guarantee someone has tried to put on the smallest possible wheel that will fit over the brakes for winter use.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Not sure how long they would last, but tennis overgrips would do it. I did it to my winter beaters wheel last year.

They're usually about 2 bucks each, you would need 3-4 to wrap it.

BonoMan posted:

I wanted to get a steering wheel cover for my 2008 Honda Civic. It's deteriorating and crumbling and leaves little black crumbs everywhere. But really just at the top.

Storebought covers haven't really worked because it's kind of a funky design that's really deep. So something that should cover and wrap around the steering wheel doesn't... it's too spread out. If that makes any sense.

I also don't want to spend $50-60 for a high end one.

Is there a kind of... tennis racquet grip tape style product that you can use to wrap around the wheel itself?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Popete posted:

Any recommendations for getting rid of an old car? I've got a 1996 BMW M3 that has a growing list of issues that aren't worth investing money into at this point. It still runs but I now have 3 vehicles and it needs to go.

I was thinking of just junking it, but maybe taking it to Carmax is the better option? At this point I don't really wanna deal with selling it myself on Craigslist.

plz give me your free m3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Tai-Pan posted:

Fun Fact: Don't wear a metal watch while working on your car. I just arked across my coil with my watch strap WHILE SPRAYING STARTING FLUID.
I am lucky that poo poo didn't explode. I now have a chunk missing from my strap.

Car still wont start.

:stare: