Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I need to have the windshield replaced on my 1994 Honda Civic hatchback. I know it is an old model but is $500 too much for the repair? This is what safelite quoted because they mentioned needing to order/replace the "clips" that hold the glass in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Godholio posted:

That seems pretty loving steep. Unless it's some weirdo design (like the current Wrangler) it should be much more than 200 or so. I paid $250 for a '66 Corvette windshield with OE-style tint, including replacing 13 clips around it and the labor to deal with all the chrome trim pieces around it.

Shop around. You can probably do better. What I would suggest is to actually call your insurance agent's office and ask if they have a recommendation. You can bet they hear the good/bad stories from people.

Edit: Also your insurance might cover it. If you have glass coverage it shouldn't count as a claim.

I only have liability on my car but I did contact a local place who even gave me different quality glass options and including clips/molding/mobile service it turned out to be $329.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Does the brake pad indicator that squeals when it needs to be replaced squeal when you brake or when the car is in motion?

Asking because I hear a squeal only when my car is moving but not when braking.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's a piece of metal that touches your rotor, so yes....the rotor needs to be moving to hear it, which means the wheel(s) need to be spinning.

Are you saying that when you car is in motion you hear squealing but that stops when you car is still in motion if you are applying the brakes?

Ya it squeals when I am not applying the brakes, applying the brakes don’t seem to make the sound increase in a way that you would think hey that guy needs his brakes replaced.