Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

TKIY posted:

Buddy at work just told me he's buying a 2010 Audi Q5 off-lease.

How hard should I be cringing?
I assume no warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The one time I've bumped someone, I paid out of pocket, because I knew there was no way in hell the cost would come in any way close to the affect on my insurance premium for a few years. Just told him to go and get a quote from wherever he wanted to use, he did, and I gave him some cash (in exchange for a receipt saying I'd paid for the damage in full).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How good do you care about it looking, and how long do you want it to last?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cthulhuite posted:

It doesn't have to be showy, as long as it's straight and the paint matches. And 5-10 years would be nice, although living on the Canadian east coast will make even 12 months of rust-free living difficult.
Then I say get someone to go over it and cut out the rust and replace with new metal to make it look "good enough", followed by hitting the whole thing with Waxoyl or some other kind of anti-rust treatment. I can't help you with pricing, I'm afraid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Can anyone tell me about mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokees? My parents bought a Tahoe to replace theirs and are offering to just give me and my wife their (I think 96 or 97) GC. IIRC it's a 4.0 and I know it's an automatic, is this the era of GCs with failure prone autos? What maintenance gremlins and issues should I be looking for once I get it home?

The folks just replaced the battery, brakes/rotors, and water pump, and I know the ol' AMC 4.0 is basically unkillable, so I just need to know if there's any lurking big repair bills on the horizon with one of these. I'm assuming at the least I should flush the trans and PS fluid and probably change the differential oil.

Also, are they SAE or metric? Also also, anyone have experience swapping one of these from auto to an AX15?
Yeah, the 42RE transmission is not the most durable on the planet. However, a manual swap is a "known thing", they did an AX15 one from the factory - while it's a bit of a generic answer, there are a lot of swap guides floating around online (or wait for Kastein to find this post and reply to it).

SAE or metric? I assume a combination of the two in different areas, because gently caress you, that's why.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It will change your speedo reading so it's 3% "off" for a given speed, as the smaller diameter needs more rotations to cover the same ground, but that's really not enough to be a major issue.

This is a common problem dealing with older cars, as smaller wheel sizes tend to become less supported for "good" rubber.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Safety Dance posted:

Air cooled? If so, I imagine you'll want to leave the cooling fins unpainted.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off-base about this.
The emissiivty of the paint can be worth the minimal insulation a layer of it gives. I wouldn't worry greatly either way, myself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

Cooling fins/radiators/intercoolers don't cool by radiation (which emissivity would affect), they cool by convection. Paint color has zero effect on the ability of air to absorb heat from metal, all any color of paint will do is insulate it. It's minor, but it is there. Something to consider depending how much hotter than stock the engine is, if at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mmmXTbLP0
Yep, you're right. Didn't engage brain.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This may be overly simplistic, but would a 2011+ model head unit (that you imply would have bluetooth) fit?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My friend had one. It was thirsty and slow, though he didn't have any reliability problems. I didn't like it at all, I thought the 4WD setup was rubbish, and I would not recommend one to anyone.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think what we're saying it, it isn't the greatest SUV in the world...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tuyop posted:

How does someone become a better driver?

I'm not really sure how I got here, but I've never hit anyone and I have a pretty good driving record. However, my wife basically drives our car into something once a month and it's becoming very expensive and I worry a lot that she's going to die or hurt someone with the car. She wants to improve and feels bad about her driving, but what do we even do? Do race schools help with regular road driving? At this point the $600+ price tag would almost be a worthwhile investment if it works.
What IOC said, plus I always believe that increasing somone's understanding of how a car works, and what exactly you're asking it to do and what's involved, makes you a better driver.

Also, for all the bumps she's had so far, some debriefing and analysis may help. What did she hit? Why did she hit it? What did she miss as the situation developed that could have helped? Everyone fucks up sometimes, but knowing how and why is what stops it repeating too often.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Even the Stig can't hit an apex if he's facebooking.
Some say he can. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Try getting her to dip the kerbside mirror when reverse parking, so she can see where the rear tyre is in relation to the kerb, and help her get close without scuffing. Though nothing can help if it really is just inherent lack of awareness, interest, or resignation that "I just can't do it".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

Does anyone know where I could obtain a M12 x 1 bolt?
Honda flywheel bolt. Pretty sure D-series engines are M12x1.0, possibly others as well.

It is an unusually fine pitch, though, I very much doubt you'll find anything finer than 1.25 on the shelf at a general hardware/fastener place.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma, Xracab with the 2.7L engine, 4WD. The exhaust is a rusty mess. From the flange just behind the Cat all the way back, rust, holes and more rust.
My plan of attack is a new muffler assembly, new gasket for the flange behind the cat, new gasket for the O2 sensor, new studs and bolts if the rusty ones there dissolve during removal, and a grinder on hand for any stuck fasteners. Is there anything I am missing here?
O2 sensors can be very stuck in place, so be prepared for that.

A bag of large repair washers on hand to re-secure any parts of the heat shields that have come adrift (the holes corrode out and they punch past the nut holding them on). Exhaust assembly paste for doing the joints.

Also new mounting rubbers are cheap, maybe replace them while you're at it, means you can just cut the old ones off.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Lastly, can I install the new assembly with the truck on the ground, or should I use jackstands or a lift? FWIW, this is a pretty tall truck with 31" tires and I can do the oil without any ramps or anything.
Up to you. If you've got enough elbow room under there without lifting it, go right ahead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

Gasoline is about 6.3 pounds per gallon (going to assume US units based on the .gov source). A full tank of gas in my jeep is approximately 19 gallons, so almost the weight of an average healthy woman. If you have a smaller tank, you might not notice the difference, but I can definitely feel the difference when I have two extra people.
So you're saying I should dump the body before getting gas in order to maintain performance?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, I'm not leaving all the bits in one place. I'm not a moron.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Time was, old :bahgawd: type places would possibly have stuff like that on a shelf gathering dust, but I think that doesn't really happen as much now, better stock control etc.

Looking online, the mats look like this:

So I think a set of good-quality aftermarket mats plus having someone make you the right embroidered patches would give you a set indistinguishable from the originals, and probably not out the way in terms of cost.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, I believe they are plastic.

Unfortunately, the clutch slave cylinder - which is the more common failure point on most systems - is what Geoj is talkign about, it's called a concentric design, it's inside the gearbox, and in order to change it, you have to do 95% of the work of changing the clutch. It's not necessarily true that the clutch is worn to the point of failure, but on a 16 year old car, you'd be mad not to do it "while you're in there".

What sort of money have they quoted you, and have they included hydraulic components as well as a new clutch assembly?

Those Fiestas are excellent little cars, though, they handle really well. Keep an eye out for rust, particularly around the rear arches, however.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
£300 for a new clutch disc, pressure plate, and slave cylinder - with labour - is not that bad. If they're using generic components, their parts cost is about 20-40% of that quote, the rest is likely labour. You may get a slightly cheaper price somewhere, but if you're happy with the people you're using, I wouldn't say they're gouging you on the money.

The slave should be included, as it is both the release mechanism, and carries the bearing that allows everything to spin nicely when you have the pedal depressed. I certainly wouldn't do the job and leave the old one there, even if it seems perfect.

VVVV: American pricing seems weird. Sometimes your stuff is ridiculously cheap, sometimes it's :rodimus:.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 29, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's an interesting one. I've had one where the metal of the bulkhead was split, and pushing the pedal was levering it away rather than pushing the master cylinder. The trick was that the bulkhead was two layers of metal, and from the engine bay, it all looked exactly right - it was only by putting your head right in the footwell and looking up under the dash you could see the issue.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

Citroen 2CV?
That's what I was thinking, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm inclined to say that a different car on different tyres isn't a fair comparison, but if I'm understanding what you're meaning, it didn't do it before, so on that front, yes, you may want to get your alignment checked.

The steering wheel not being straight doesn't necessarily indicate an alignment issue per se - if the alignment was set with it off-centre, it'll be off-centre despite everything else being perfect. If you're concerned, when you get it checked ask them to make sure the wheel is straight when straight ahead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A slipping power steering belt or dying pump can cause exactly that "lumpy" feel, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I tried some spraying with smooth Hammerite, but found it came out very "light", and took a long time to dry.

The paint was mixed at the advised 15% thinners ration, using the Hammerite branded thinners.

Pressure at the gun was the recommended ~30psi.

I may have cocked up my fluid mixture setting, making it too low. Could that cause the issue?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bovril Delight posted:

235/50/17 will fit fine on a stock 7.5" wheel right? Going from 225/55/17 and can't find the tires I want in that size.
Sounds fine to me. I'd do that without a second thought.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlesM posted:

I discovered the other day that apparently my wheels are corroding and the tire came off the bead. Is there a way to repair them or do I have to buy new ones?

Mazda 3 if that matters, I see this was a very common issue in the UK for some reason.
I assume you mean that corrosion around the rim has pushed the tyre bead back a little, creating a leak? Because if it's actually come off, that's :psyduck: levels of rusting out, I really want to see a photo, and you need new wheels.

Anyway, yes, it's very common. I blame the salt on the roads in winter for making it worse here. Often initiates where someone's fitted a clip-on balance weight. The corrosion expands out and pushes the bead away so it doesn't seal any more. To properly fix it, you need the tyre off, and to use a wire wheel etc to remove it all from where the tyre seats, any tyre place should be able to sort you out (you can't really pull or refit the tyre yourself, so you may as well get them to do it).

If the wheels are a bit shabby anyway, and you were considering refurbishing them, now would be the time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Depends. Are you literally too poor to afford a new set of tires, or are you just trying to save a buck on the only thing between your car and the pavement?
Unless you buy new ones as soon as you buy a used car, a lot of us have driven for years and thousands of miles on used tyres. Provided they pass the same level of inspection you'd give the ones on a used car, I've never had a problem with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fart Pipe posted:

That is a triple square, homie. 12 splines is 3 squares.
In VW's case, yes. But a 12 point made as two hexes is also common, and the two are not compatible in terms of wrenching interface. Luckily, you tend to only see internal triple-square (XZN) heads and external bi-hexagons, so it's not often you'll find yourself looking at the wrong thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Does anyone have an opinion on the best lubricant for an old-school Bendix screw mechanism on a starter motor? It's not totally jammed, but it has an annoying tendency to just sit there spinning rather than throwing out to engage unless you give it a thump.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, it's a bayonet fitting. Push it a little and turn it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

The bendix is not supposed to be lubed at all according to the guys at my local rebuild place. I was told that anything thin enough to do the job just ends up making a mess and getting into the starter to cause problems and anything heavy enough to stay cakes up and makes the situation worse than it was before in short order.
Hmm, that would seem logical, yes. I'll clean off the slightly sticky stuff that's on there currently and see how it bench tests.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Agreed. I normally take the battery out and put it on a conditioner in the garage instead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can just turn the engine over by hand to check.

Sounds like someone fitted the wrong plugs previously?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can't help you with the right sensor, but the specific nature of the sensor sockets is they have a slot in them so the wiring can hang out the side. Now, in my experience, if replacing a dead sensor, you can do without them. You don't care about the old sensor, so the wiriing can just be cut to let you use a regular socket, and a normal spanner will let you get the new one in just fine.

Sometimes they can be very uncooperative about being removed, so be prepared for that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Think about how good you are compared to the average muppet with a licence. Now think about the term "logarithmic scale".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

A dizzy is a distributor, right?
If the context fits that, yes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

"16v dizzy hall sensor"

I'm doing research for a 16v head swap but if I can't figure out what dizzy means, I should probably hold off :saddowns:
Yes. Distributor hall effect sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Abu Dave posted:

Even in that video they're driving on plowed snow; I would be driving on unplowed snow.
My WJ Grand Cherokee with QuadraDive and winter tyres was excellent in the snow. I would heartily recommend winter tyres as a priority, AWD on top as a strong benefit, and an SUV if you're going through stuff deep enough for the ground clearance to be an issue.

I would say an SUV rather than a truck, as the weight distribution and stiff rear suspension you generally find in a truck doesn't help much, and fully agricultural live-axles-on-leaf-springs-and-a-steering-box truck trucks are actually a bit of a pig to drive on slippery roads, not enough feel to them.