Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah I definitely overtighten and also check them after a while, never had a wheel come off. Happened to my dad in the 70s though, got passed by his own tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

VelociBacon posted:

Greasing the bolts would wildly change the appropriate torque spec wouldn't it?

I don't use a torque wrench and even if I got one I doubt I would use it on lug nuts, I'm used to go by feel there and will likely continue that practice. I'm interested in torque wrench for other stuff where I don't have a feel developed for how hard I ought to tighten. My future also likely holds other projects where it becomes even more important.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I placed an order last night for spare parts but decided not to get the torque wrench :)

I just can't decide if it's a bad or good choice to buy a cheap one but also I can't afford a new one. Like I think 20€ is worth fussing about.

e:
Also I've seen the workers in shops change other peoples tires when picking up my own cars over the years, they tighten with an impact only. So having it done professionally at the places I've been to, don't involve no torque wrenches.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 26, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Safety Dance posted:

That was my reaction, more or less.

The 6-pin connector:

Some quick googling reveals that it's probably made by Tyco-AMP-TE Connectivity. I don't see good matches on the 964961-1 part number, but there are some things labelled 964960-1 that look very similar.

The 2-pin connector:

8bux on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166218358625, but I'm not sure about the individual pins.

The fact that the 6pin connector has square holes while the 2 pin connector has cross-shaped holes makes me wonder if they're not made by different manufacturers.

I dunno what kind of car this is, but I just watched a youtube about a car catching fire and the reason was that the insulation had degraded in the wiring harness, because for those particular years (84-86) of that particular car the manufacturer experimented with a different type of wire insulation that was biodegradable. It was just falling apart by then. So based on that I would be a bit worried if the rest of the wiring looked like this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mercedes also did this in 92-96 I heard.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

mk IV Volkswagens where fluid would siphon in to the tail lights eventually

Ah I guess it was blinker fluid

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Great I had this same question as I'm working over the brake calipers on my 900

Post electrolysis:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sorta car related, because it's the cars fault. But I have a pair of cheap coveralls I use when working with my cars and in the shop and they've gotten really dirty and greasy. I guess they should be washed fairly regularly but what should I do now that they've gotten this disgusting. I don't want to put them in our washer like this.

I was thinking of soaking them in a detergent solution in a tub outdoors a few times before tossing them into the washing machine to get the worst off them, not sure what I ought to use. Washing soda, lye, soap, regular detergent for clothes?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You know this made me realize I've never been to a laundromat in my life.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I changed the tires on my Yaris to summer tires last night, I also transported some other tires and I can get six tires in the trunk with seats folded down.

Anyway I used the torque wrench to tighten the bolts to spec, or a little above (76 ft lbs, I set the wrench to 110nm which is a bit more). Feels eerily light torque compared to what I am used to put on them...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

I think new cars sold today have like 30 computers in them and in 20 years none of those specific computer boards will still be made and they'll be un-maintainable within 30 once old stock of those parts runs out. Modern cars are vastly, vastly safer though so if you care about not dying, please just drive a reasonably modern vehicle. I say that as a Car Liker and AI alum: playing around with old cars that you can rebuild forever is a cool and good hobby, but if you are going to get smashed by one of today's enormously overweight road queens, you want to do it inside a car with 8 airbags.

I would rather institute harsh legislation to force all these road queens into the trash compactor.

I think 30 years for a modern car made after 2015 or so is probably very generous.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Reminds me it's time to do an oil change, or maybe three. Also looks like I need a new battery. I was gonna drive to work today in my Saab and it made a millenium falcon like sound as I tried to start. Battery has run down totally more than once over winter storage and it's real bad for batteries to get run down like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

Here's my old man trick if you have issues with dying batteries in vehicles you rarely drive. google '10 watt car solar panel' and as long as your cigarette lighter socket is always hot (like a phone charger works with the car off, meaning its directly wired to the battery) these will keep your battery in tip top shape. Even with winter and clouds.

I keep one of these jammed on my dash and plugged into the lighter socket on my Expedition, and sometimes I go 4-6 months without driving it. Cranks perfect every time. They're 20-30 bucks and will amortize into battery replacement costs over a year. You only need a few milliamps to keep a lead-acid nicely maintained, and these will provide that and then some. And they won't do any overchargey battery boiling stuff either.

I wonder if that would work indoors with just the light from the lamps. I daily this car in summer and in winter it sits in a heated garage, so not much sunlight, which is exacerbated by the fact that in deep winter the sun rises at 10AM and sets at 2PM.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I actually cobbled together my own from a regular battery charger and a smart power controller, so it could charge the battery an hour every week (or some other timer). Unfortunately I disconnected the charger and used it for electrolysis stuff and then didn't put it back.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Car veers slightly left, this is how I have to hold the wheel going straight ahead. Now I've done a lot of work on the right side front wheel, the whole hub was off, I replaced the lower ball joint and renovated the brake calipers (that on both wheels). Can the swapping of the lower ball joint cause this? I figure if so it must have affected the camber of the right wheel a little. I didn't touch the toe adjustement nor changed any joints there. Tire pressure what pretty close too (2.7 bars or so, about 39 psi).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

PainterofCrap posted:

Seconding; even after disconnecting & reconnecting a ball joint or other suspension, it is possible to need an alignment.

After replacing any suspension component (except maybe shocks if the car doesn't have integrated struts) an alignment is required.

What you are experiencing is completely normal after the work that you did.

I've been looking into how to do it myself and it seems pretty doable at home.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Perhaps the first time, but it's not a viable long term solution to go a shop every time I deal with the front suspension components on this car because that's gonna happen again soon by the look of some drive shaft gaiters. I feel I should be able to perhaps machine something more solid to measure between the wheels than string.

I got this car with the intention of doing all the work on it myself, at one point the engine will come out for an overhaul and I plan to rebuild the gearbox then too. I might get a spare engine and gearbox first though to look over and get used to it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A wheel alignment ain't it...

e: We'll see if I dunning-krugered myself later.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 18, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's good, I'm only 10 years in on the pathological self reliance nerding so far.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Welding rust is one of the most difficult parts of welding. A good welder with gas is minimum IMO.

I weld straight CO2 these days but it's more difficult.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MrOnBicycle posted:

Funnily enough I just started watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUra-KozHo

No idea if it's any good or not, though.

Looks interesting I have that laser myself and been thinking in similar ways. Also looked at how to do it with string and thought about various DIY tools I could make using an aluminium extrusion with a screw to make a kind of gauge that measure the inside of the wheels. I just need a really huge micrometer :downs:

The service manual for my car details how to measure toe in, it uses a special tool (like what I thought of) and how to use chalk markings to measure on an uneven floor:

The manual has no procedure for the rear wheels, perhaps because it's a solid rear axle.

At any rate it's probably good enough to try and see what results one gets. I haven't had need to think of this right now because I've had issues with a stuck bleeder valve, that then broke off. Just got it fixed last night and something happened with the handbrake and it no longer engages. It might have broken.

e: sleep addled

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 23, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'll say try raw linseed oil (not boiled). Film products won't work as mentioned. It won't hide the rust, but it'll slow the attack down as it's got good penetrating properties and will get down to bare metal despite rust on top. I spray that into cavities and just generally the whole underside of my cars every year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

PainterofCrap posted:

Spend the money, and suffer through it once.

Because it will fail. On a lovely, cold, wet, day. And you will be sad.

No powered windows, no problems :smug:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

No you should buy the Honda stuff especially then and not foist hidden crap on to the next owner.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I finally stopped getting sidetracked with my car, everything I touched on my way to doing this turned into a day or week long project. So I have finally adjusted the camber, which was my prime suspect. Saab had a neat table to show how much adjustment is needed (via adding or removing shims) and following that I removed 4mm of shims and the car now drives straight like it used to. I haven't checked the toe-in yet though. That's next. Might as well verify caster too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just a hunch but see if some WD-40 don't help... That stuff was the only thing which helped against butyl sealant....

It's also an extremely efficient hand cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh yeah it will, probably wipe down afterwards with IPA or acetone if you want it clean.