Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I noticed in the instructions for a 12v USB charger I just bought that it said not to leave it plugged in when starting the car or when nothing is plugged into it. Since I'm not an electrical guy, what's the risk? I know that my socket isn't powered when the car is off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Recently I've been having problems with driving through puddles with my car (94 Camry). I've hit a couple unavoidable ones (this area has awful drainage and we're at or below sea level) that caused it to stall out a few hundred feet past. And one like 3 inch deep one that only my right wheel hit did the same thing. After it stalls, it won't start for maybe 2 minutes, then it's perfectly fine. This screams electrical to me, but I can't figure out what exactly. I tightened up the belt to my alternator, which I replaced maybe 4 months ago, since it was out of spec. Then I went through and wiggled and checked all the electrical connections I could with the thing running and couldn't get it to stall. The distributor and intake are on the right, so I don't think either of those would make it stall. The only other thing I can think of is that I have an exhaust leak at the flex coupling, but that doesn't seem like it make it stall from water.

What other idiot checks am I missing, goons?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Enourmo posted:

If it's stalling out from puddles wiggling wires isn't the way to do it. Get under the car and squirt stuff with a hose.

I was hoping that would find a loose connection, which might let water in. I tried squirting stuff with a spray bottle and got nothing, so I might try a hose when the weather clears up some.

I know not to hit random puddles at full speed. I was going around 15 when I hit the smaller ones that caused it to stall, that's what caused me to think it was more than my own lovely driving.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Remember when I asked about my car stalling in puddles the other day? I took a look in my distributor cap:

That hole burned straight to the outside, so I'm pretty sure moisture was getting in and causing it to stall. Is there anything I should be worried about that this could have been a symptom of?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

How the hell do you get RainX off a windshield? So far I've tried soap, isopropyl, Brakleen, the official RainX cleaner that's kinda gritty, and just the passage of time (it's been like 4 months). I still have water beading up and making an annoying fog/streaks when I use the wipers in light rain. It didn't go away with new wipers either. All I can think is that my 20 year old windshield is pitted enough that it's stuck in there.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Geoj posted:

Have you tried claybar or ammonia-based glass cleaner?

Clay bar, yes. Ammonia no.

Safety Dance posted:

Or drive-behind-a-dump-truck and then no-deductible-auto-glass-claim?

This is what I'd like to do, don't think my insurance covers it though.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Wasn't there a tire thread here? Anyway, I'm looking to replace the tires on my Camry and I'm between these Generals or these Yokohamas. I'm leaning towards the Yokohamas if the local tire shop has them in stock and will match the Tire Rack price. Otherwise the Generals have better ratings, so I'd go with them. Any thoughts on either tire?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I called the local tire shop, who didn't advertise Generals, and they offered to beat Tire Rack's price on them, so that's what I'm going with. Easier than I was expecting.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't really need my exhaust heat shield, right? I've got a rattle, and with the shape of the one that rusted through, I can't just wrap some hose clamps around it. It's between the pipe and the body.

Please help me become The P.O.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Anyone familiar with the current Chevy Sonics/Across? My girlfriend's just cracked its cylinder head at just over 40,000 miles. Now she's freaking out because she started reading NHSTA complaints and forums and of course is now worried her transmission is going to explode next. Is there anything worth being worried about? It seemed like a perfectly normal hatchback that would last well over 100k to me.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there any place that sells generic window molding that isn't blinged out? I found the actual Toyota part number (for my 94 Camry), but I was hoping for something cheaper.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What type of adhesive should I use to attach a new windshield trim piece? Will any old black silicone work? And do I need any special tools? The piece has a lip that looks like it's supposed to go under the glass.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's the exterior trim of my rear windshield. How bout a picture?

That's the old one, falling off. It's rubber with a chrome strip in the middle.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

1994 Camry

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I need to put my 94 Camry up on the lift one last time before I sell it. The problem is that last time I did, the standard jack points on the pinch welds were getting pretty crunchy from all the rust. So can anyone suggest some good alternate points? I'll be using a basic two post lift with the big rubber pads on the arms.

The rear. Red is the jack point, green is the suspension mount that looked pretty sturdy to me.

The front. Red is the jack point again. I haven't really figured out an alternate. That frame rail seems to be the obvious choice, but it doesn't feel that strong.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Lower control arms would be my choice if the pinch welds are too far gone.

If you can't reach the LCAs with your lift, then you may be stuck using the frame rails. Those don't look that bad to me, personally, but I don't have a lift either.

I can probably get away with the front ones. The back ones started to collapse when I raised the lift. The picture doesn't really show the gaping rust hole next to them.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'd like to find a plain, black leather shift knob for my '12 Focus. It's M12x1.25. Any suggestions for what cars I can search at the junkyards? Most of the online places seem to be gaudy boy racer stuff.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

New England goons: Is there a good pick and pull junkyard around southern NH or north of Boston? I want to find a trim piece for my Focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

kastein posted:

My usual haunts are Sam's pick n pull in Worcester and a few in RI which is far for you. I'd try brandybrow in plaistow maybe or Tony's on rosemont in haverhill, though I haven't been to either in like... 7 and 25ish years respectively. drat.

Thanks, I figured you'd be the one to answer. Those look good and Worcester isn't too bad if the closer ones don't have what I want.

Scrree posted:

Hi, I have like zero knowledge of cars and a dumb question. Traditionally the way my family's handled snow/summer tires is to have Firestone swap the tires on the same set of wheels, but I've always had the idea of just getting a second set of wheels so I could just pop them on/off myself when the season changes.

Is that dumb/unnecessary? My instincts tell me that constantly popping the tires off the wheels has to be worse than just having them be set for life, but again, I don't actually know.

If you have the storage space to keep them, having them on separate sets of wheels is the way to go. Check out craigslist and you might find a set of wheels and tires from the same model car that will already have the tire pressure sensors installed.

Or if you want brand new everything, Tire Rack will ship you a set of tires already mounted to the wheels of your choice. You would need to get the sensors programmed so your car recognizes them