Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

neogeo0823 posted:

Does anyone know if there's a thread for buying dashcams? Or maybe just a couple of recommended models? I've been meaning to get one, but I've been waffling on it because I have no clue what to look for.

You're in luck

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215&pagenumber=163&perpage=40

If I recall correctly, vofio makes a well regarded dash cam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Get a Noco Boost GB40.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

$166 is mostly paying rent on the square footage those stamping dies take up on the shelf, I imagine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I had to jump my mother-in-law's Honda Crosstour today. Is this carbon pile load tester sufficient for figuring out if she has a bad battery or just did something to drain it by accident? https://www.amazon.com/Alternator-Voltmeter-Indicator-Alligator-Motorcycles/dp/B0BK7SHH82/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How do core charges work with RockAuto? Do they expect me to ship the old battery back to them? Is there any problem if I choose to eat the $18 and drop it off at the recycling center instead?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I sincerely doubt you hurt a wheel at 5-10 mph. There's a slight chance you might have knocked the car our of alignment, but it seems unlikely. If your tires are holding air and your car tracks straight, I wouldn't worry about it. The next time your car is in the shop, ask them to throw it on the alignment rack.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

If a car needs different equipment to meet California emissions, then there can be differences. I'm only aware of there being more O2 sensors, but there might be more spefialized equipment depending on the car. From the factory, I think all 2014 ES350s were california emissions-compliant. Where you might run into trouble is if the Catalytic converter has been replaced at any point. There are many third-party catalytic converters which are not California emissioms compliant.

I think this will only get OP into trouble if they want to move the car back to California. If they're buying a California car and want to keep it in the Northeast, I don't think there's any reason they'd get in trouble for having an aftermarket cat as long as it was legal in their state.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steve French posted:

Took delivery of a new car

What sort of car is it?

Different monitors have different, and wildly specific, drive cycles that are required to set them. Start by telling us what kind of car it is, and maybe someone can look up the drive cycles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steve French posted:

2024 Yukon w/ 3.0 duramax.

some 2017 forum post posted:

General Motors Driving Cycle

The OBD II Home Page - On-Board Diagnostic System Information
Autotap® OBDII Diagnostic Scanner
General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Reprinted on OBDII web site courtesy of General Motors Corporation
© General Motors Corporation

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 17, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Annath posted:

I never really understood what alignment was and assumed that was something done when you bought new tires.

Alignment controls how well your tires are lined up with "forward" on your car. There are three degrees of freedom: toe, camber, and caster.

Toe controls whether the front of a wheel is pointed slightly in or out relative to forward.

Camber controls whether the top of a wheel is pointed in or out relative to straight up and down.

Caster rotates the wheel hub about the center of the wheel, like the front wheels of a shopping cart.

Your car is designed to operate with specific toe, camber, and caster angles, but they're adjustable to compensate for a little damage or bashing around your car might get. It's a good idea to get your alignment checked periodically. It can lead to tire wear or your car handling weird.

Rotating your tires means swapping them front to back and left to right. This balances wear between all four of your tires

Just judging by what I see, it looks like that tire has been under inflated and possibly suffering from too much toe in angle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

To get a high end, I'd look at the last ~year or so of Bring a Trailer auctions that actually sold, and look at the floor of those. Those are all going to be in unnaturally good shape. Then look at your local Craigslist / Facebook marketplace for the real poo poo rusted out ran when parked examples. The real number will fall somewhere in that range.

https://bringatrailer.com/nissan/z32-300zx/

Looks like some decent examples are going for sub-$20k

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 6, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

I should also mention that this is a Drive Deviant event. It is an explicitly pro LGBT, leftist car club. Straights welcome, right wingers absolutely not.

This is right up my alley. How can I find out more about the Washington chapter?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

I'll send you an invite on the FB group. I think I've got you on FB at least? I can never remember who I do and don't. They also have a discord, a telegram, an Instagram, etc but I am only on the FB group.

I don't think I have you on FB but I'm easy to find over there.

I deleted Facebook a few years back but I made a new one for sailing and Alcan stuff. Same name. I can look you up if you can't find me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

phosdex posted:

I am moving from NM to MN, have 2 cars, not sure if I'll drive 1 myself yet. Does anyone have a recommendation for somebody that would transport 1 or 2 of these for me?

Shoot an email to Ryan at ADKOS -- rbarrett@adkos.com. They did an excellent job moving my car from NC to WA.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

In theory, what would happen if bawfuls cut the dealer out and paid the lienholder directly? "Hey, FYI, I own that car now, here's my name on the title, hand over the keys please."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This leads me to my own stupid question: I know you should use a torque wrench and tighten your lug nuts to the torque specified in the service manual. But, before I had "thirty bucks at harbor freight" kinda money, I put tens of thousands of miles on lug nuts I tightened by feel. On the other hand, a friend of mine had a wheel fall off his rx-7 on the interstate in rush hour traffic one day, so I know what improperly torqued lug bolts can cause. So:

Under what conditions are improperly torqued lug nuts/bolts most risky?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Now, if stranded changing a spare. Stand on the lug wrench and hear the creeeek. Move on.

Tighten until the lug stud yields and then back it off a few percent, gotcha

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Crossposting from my TSD thread:

Is there any salvaging this, or should I start unwrapping and butt splicing?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, I'll take better pictures of the connectors in the morning.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sleepy gary posted:

Oof, good lord.

That was my reaction, more or less.

kastein posted:

That's done. It said bake until flaky.

Seriously though, that insulation is trash and I'd expect the rest of the harness to be bad too. Can you get better pics of the connectors? You might be able to buy new pins and simply make a whole new harness with the same connector housings.

The 6-pin connector:

Some quick googling reveals that it's probably made by Tyco-AMP-TE Connectivity. I don't see good matches on the 964961-1 part number, but there are some things labelled 964960-1 that look very similar.

The 2-pin connector:

8bux on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166218358625, but I'm not sure about the individual pins.

The fact that the 6pin connector has square holes while the 2 pin connector has cross-shaped holes makes me wonder if they're not made by different manufacturers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Good eye. Same manfacturer.

wesleywillis posted:

If none of those work you can usually find weatherproof connectors at Napa and the like. In my experience they come with pins and all you do is crimp the wires to the pin, insert in the right hole and done.

If this is a huge boondoggle, I might just desolder the pigtails from the sunroof controls and make my own pigtails with deutsch connectors. I've already got them and the associated criping tools, etc.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno what kind of car this is, but I just watched a youtube about a car catching fire and the reason was that the insulation had degraded in the wiring harness, because for those particular years (84-86) of that particular car the manufacturer experimented with a different type of wire insulation that was biodegradable. It was just falling apart by then. So based on that I would be a bit worried if the rest of the wiring looked like this.

It's a 2006 Porsche Cayenne. Adjacent wires look fine, weirdly enough. It's just the control wires for the panoramic sunroof that look like this. The next time I get a chance, I'll take a look at the main harness but I'm less concerned.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Return home victorious after hitting the closest taco truck, glizzy stand, or Chinese buffet, as our religious traditions require.

Oh dang you're right, there's a Touareg and a Q7 at my local that I've been meaning to hit up for parts, I need to include trailer tacos in this plan.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm going to poke around in the sunroof area and see if they have similar wiring harnesses to the Kentucky-fried insulation in mine. Might also take a look at the washer fluid reservoirs while I'm in there.

I have to wake up at 04:30 on Monday for a call with a co-worker from Paris, so I think I'm justified in a lunchtime junkyard run.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

You too? I have to be at the southworth ferry dock at 550 for goon and car shenanigans. Why do we do this to ourselves

Edit: and clearly I need more sleep not less since I just double posted without realizing it

It's gotta be done.

kastein posted:

We demand forbidden catte pictures

Domestic catte facing off with a forbidden catte through the back door a few mornings back.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Just noticed on my '21 highlander that the AC blows much harder when I go above 52mph. I first noticed it seemed to not be blowing as hard as I expected on the setting it was on then noticed when I go above 52mph it blows harder at the speed I would expect. I know there is an expected voltage difference from the alternator that can affect fan speeds but this is new behavior and very noticable.

I'm about to head to my parents 3.5 hours away this afternoon and come back on Friday and they live in bumfuck nowhere with limited car repair options. Should I be worried? I don't mind taking the trip if it's just my AC that could go out but if it's my alternator or something like that I really don't want to be stuck their for extra time. What am I looking at?

Does the quantity of air coming through the vents change, or does it just get noticeably colder? Is your AC set to fresh air or recirculated air?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're trading it in almost certainly not

Station wagons that have been solid in America in the last... 10 years:
1) A4 Avant / Allroad - nice, luxurious, expensive, not common
2) A6 Avant / Allroad - nice, luxurious, expensive, not common
3) Golf/Jetta Sportwagen/Alltrack - fairly good and more comparable to the Civic in terms of size and driving experience, generally avoid TDIs unless you know what you are getting in to, Mk7 cars are quite reliable
4) Volvo V60 / V60XC - not the most reliable thing in the world but they are pretty nice inside and out, expensive
5) Volvo V90 / V90XC - scarce as hens teeth, expensive
6) Buick Regal TourX - quite good but not common
7) Mercedes E Class - very nice but expensive
8) Mini Clubman - technically a wagon, uncommon, quite fun to drive
9) Porsche Taycan and Panamera - lol

Your options are limited - the only cars kind of within the "civic equivalent" space are the Volkswagens, kind of the Clubman if you squint, and the Regal TourX. and for your use case a hatchback will be perfectly fine and opens up a host of other opportunities.

You're gonna list the V60xc and not the Subaru Outback? :mad:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Though supposedly Civics are disposable starter cars, no? Are they intended to be scrapped rather than maintained or upgraded?

Important thing to note: a car isn't a PC. You can't swap a motor as easily as you can swap a graphics card. If you have, say, a 2014 Honda Civic, all the parts you could easily replace will be designed for a 2011-2014 Honda Civic. If you want to upgrade the suspension, you'll have to find companies that specifically make suspension parts for a 2011-2014 Civic. You can't decide you want Mercedes suspension and a big Ford V8 and the all wheel drive system out of a Subaru WRX without doing significant custom fabrication and probably dropping six figures on a four figure car.

If you want a modular buy-it-for-life car, your best bet is something they made a billion of. Toyota Corolla or Ford F-150 or something like that. There will be parts available for decades.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah but it looks wank on an actual modern 86 so rules out the window, do whatever you want to your car.

*edit: a modern 86 done up with tofu livery just gets a shrug because it isn't an AE86. Any other car with tofu livery would raise a smile because it makes no sense for it to look like that.

I saw a range rover with tofu livery once and it rocked.

Al-Saqr posted:

Would it be super tacky if i bought a new white camry, two tone it and add paint/decals/wings to make it look like ae86 trueno / Hachiroku?

Without the japanese characters.

How expensive is it to make a paint job additions look like its straight from factory?

Also how hard is it to keep a white car clean and not look grimy/cheap?

Would it be tacky? Yes, but in a good way.

How expensive? Probably four figures. Less if you used black vinyl wrap rather than paint. You (and an artist?) might want to sit down with reference images to figure out exactly what a modern "Panda Camry" would look like (I think it would look better on the Corolla Hatchback, but you gotta work with what you have). Then find a vinyl installer who can do the work for you. You could install vinyl yourself, but it would be a try and try again process to get it looking right.

White is one of the most forgiving colors. Wash it every couple of weeks, wax it periodically. Detail the wheels. If you want to spend some money, apply a ceramic coating.

Follow your bliss!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I like it better than my mockup, but I don't have any skin in the game. This is why it might be worth spending a few hundo to sit down with a graphic designer for a few hours going back and forth before you commit to a design.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

strangehamster posted:

I got a $2000 estimate to change the front struts/alignment on my Grand Caravan. Can I do it much cheaper if I buy parts from Rock Auto and spend a weekend in my garage? I have intermediate mechanical skills.

The struts are probably pretty straightforward. Be advised that suspension components tend to use larger fasteners and are more likely to be rusted / a real pain in the rear end unless you have big wrenches or an impact. Look up instructions / videos to see if you need to buy/rent/borrow any specialized tools.

Alignment is best left to the professionals, and is necessary basically whenever you make changes to your suspension.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Can you remove the spoiler as is? That would make it a lot easier to cut new pieces of tape.

I'd use goof-off to clean the residue, let it dry really well, and then use 3M VHB tape. If you can remove the spoiler, apply the tape to the spoiler with the backer still on it, use an x-acto knife to trim it neatly, and then remove the backer and stick the thing in place. If you can't, I'd slip as much tape as I could under the spoiler with the backer still in place (facing down toward the car), trim, and then remove the backer.

Any body shop should be able to tackle it if you don't feel comfortable.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think at that point I'd clean under the spoiler as best I could with some q-tips and paper towels soaked in goof-off, slip some VHB tape under there, and call it good for the next 5-10 years. If q-tips don't remove the residue, maybe try flossing underneath the spoiler with some sandpaper in the ~120 to 180 grit range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

When I have the room I'm going to buy a C4 with the digital dashboard just because I spent so much time looking at it in Test Drive

Oh wow I didn't realize the C4 would do ∂8° KM/H MPH while redlining at 8800 RPM. You should upshift for best economy.