Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Running into an issue that google is yielding mixed results on - I have a 2011 Ford Focus SE automatic V4, about 62k miles (regular oil changes and filters - just for maintenance context). When I start the car cold in the mornings as of the past month or so, there's a squeak from what sounds like the belt, now the squeak only lasts for about 2 minutes and as the car gets warmed up the squeak goes away and lets say i leave the car sitting for a few hours and start it again the squeak won't return. I've tried some belt conditioner and interestingly enough if i spray it as the car is squeaking it goes away but it only lasts for a week or so. Is this a cause for concern? I've also taken a look at the belts and they don't feel worn down based on touch but i'm no mechanic.

I have researched that this can happen because of the cold weather (it's been in the 40's here and I am in Florida so cold weather only happens for a month a year or so). Just trying to see if I should take it in, and how to not get fisted by the mechanic if I need something fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Random question. I took my car into the shop to get the serpentine belt replaced (gettin squeaky etc). I got about 3 miles away from the lot and the belt split right down the middle. The shop won't be able to fix it again until Monday, but I was just curious what might cause something like that to happen. I mean assuming it's a brand new belt - what would cause it to suddenly split like that? I mean i wasn't going really fast - maybe 45 mph tops for about 5 miles before it happened.

2011 Ford Focus if it matters

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hi everyone - first time AI poster, long time lurker - I lost one of my FOB's for my 2017 Chevy Cruze. I do have a spare at home, what is the cheapest way for me to just have a replacement for the spare? I don't need any fancy poo poo, i can remote start with my phone etc. -trying not to spend $300 for a replacement key if I can avoid it. Looks like I can buy one and program it using the spare I have at home?

vyst fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 18, 2019

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thanks yall. Based on the manual it looks like I can program it myself easy since i have the spare FOB. I see the same type of keys on ebay/amazon - but they are uncut. I assume I can take them to like a locksmith or home depot with my spare FOB and they can cut it to match?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Not sure this is the right thread so I'll start here and if it's the wrong spot I apologize., I'm not sure if there's a dealership thread. I've had my car at service with a Chevy dealer now for 39 calendar days for a warranty repair. I've heard the following so far from my service advisors since it's been there. Granted I can cut them some slack since they needed to rebuild the engine (at least that's what they told me).

1. I called around day 7 to get an update in which "We're still waiting on the parts".
2. I called around day 13 to get an update in which "There's a strike at the plant so we're still waiting on the parts, no ETA"
3.I found out by calling around day 17 that my advisor was fired and happened to stumble on a new one that was "still getting up to speed"
4. They had no loaners to offer until day 25, then they wanted to try to saddle me with a frickin Yukon (I drive a Cruze)
5. Got a realistic loaner day 26
6 . Called again around day 32, they finally got he parts but Advisor had no eta because they were backlogged with repairs and told me to check back next week
7. Got a call on day 39 that the car was ready

Now I say all that to ask, do I have any kind of recourse with the dealership? Not talking like legal action, but is it ridiculous to ask for poo poo like "Extending my warranty" considering an entire payment cycle has completed while me not being able to use the car I'm paying for? Or do I pretty much have to suck it up and deal with it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Good luck. The dealer had my wife's car for warranty for for like 4 months while parts were backordered. They ain't gonna do squat.

Thanks. I figured I'm not going to get poo poo but I thought I would ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Around day 2 you need to start being an rear end in a top hat. They owed you a loaner at that point.

The response I got was "We don't have any available" and there was a queue and i wasn't at the top. The day i actually got one it was "my turn". Which sounds real lovely.

I was extremely lucky that I had access to my retired parents' cars and i had the christmas break off of work so I'm not really out of pocket any money, just hassle.