Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Anyone have a good recommendation for a good dent repair kit that's not expensive? I've been looking at this one off Amazon and the reviews aren't that bad for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

2016 Honda Civic LX, I'm going to be getting winter tires in a week or so and I have a couple small questions.

Highs are going to be in the mid-50's for around a week or two after I get them before hopefully going down into the 40's into November. Driving, say, 75 miles a day, won't affect the tread too badly right? I know you're not supposed to drive them in hot weather but 50's can't be that bad, right? I'm getting them now because of a Michelin $70 mail-in rebate.

My other question is, with a front-wheel drive car, do I particularly need a 4-wheel alignment when I get new tires or is a front-wheel alignment fine?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah the place I'm planning on getting the tires from provides a free two-wheel alignment and will do all four for an extra $64. I haven't had any issues with pulling and the like yet, but I'll probably go with the four wheel alignment just to be safe. Thank you both for the help!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

2016 Honda Civic, though I dunno if it's relevant.

A couple months back I posted about buying winter tires. That worked out great, and I have a set of Michelin's on my OEM steel wheels. My situation now, as winter is ending in a month or so, is that I'm going to need to get all-season tires for the spring, summer and fall. My question is, does it make more sense financially to buy a second set of wheels to go with the second set of tires or just swap the tires on my current wheels? I don't know what goes into seasonal wheel swapping and the like. It seems like the tire swap only is cheaper first, but I don't know if it would also be cheaper long term.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Thanks for the info guys. If I do go for a second set of wheels - which I am leaning toward - I'm probably going to buy a set from Tire Rack and have them installed by a local shop. Seems like it'll be easy to get another set of 16" wheels with the correct bolt pattern like the ones I have now.

Invalido posted:

Secondly, (like comboomer said) if you have dedicated winter tires it is my strong opinion that all-seasons is a suboptimal choice for the other set. Real summer tires will outperform all-seasons in every way wet or dry except when it's cold enough that you're gonna want the winter tires on anyway.

I had considered summer tires but gave up looking when I saw what the tread life was like for most of them. I do close to 25000 miles a year, mostly highway driving, and if I can get a bit less performance but close to twice the tread life (at least from what I'm reading) that's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah I haven't really had any issues with the all-seasons I had before, and they weren't high end tires. If I go for one of the highest rated ones there (probably one of the two top Continental options because they have significant mileage warranties on the tread) then I'm certain it's going to be better than what I had before. If you guys do know off-hand of a summer tire with more durable tread I'm all ears, but I don't really consider it much of a priority. If I ever get a job where I drive less (or move somewhere warmer than a place that still gets snow in April) I'll definitely look into summer tires instead.

e: Definitely going to get a second set of wheels though, thank you for the advice.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

2016 Honda Civic LX

I took it into the body shop recently as part of an insurance claim, and in their work, they had to replace the front fender, repair the front bumper, and repair the front driver side door (including disassembling it). When I got the car back I immediately noticed what I assume is an electrical issue (that has to my knowledge never appeared before with this car).

One, the fob wouldn't lock the doors even if I was holding it outside the car. Two, when I was inside the car after I turned off the engine and pulled the key out of the ignition, every so often the car would act like I was pressing the unlock button on the fob, and on multiple occasions the windows would roll down entirely on their own.

The body shop took it back in and is going to take apart the door to see if it's the work they did; in the mean time I was curious if anybody had additional insight on what might cause it.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Do you have another fob you can try it with?

Oh yeah, I do. I suppose a bad fob is a possibility but it'd be a hell of a coincidence for it to pop up right when it did. They're gonna look at the door again tomorrow, so if that doesn't work I'll attempt to give the secondary keyfob a shot.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

2016 Honda Civic

I hit a pile of snow and it looks like part of the undercarriage protector got loose and is dragging at low speeds. So far it doesn’t look like there are any other issues, as long as there aren’t I should be able to drive it like 20 miles until I can get it to somebody with a lift, right?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Okay I was able to get a quick fix done and hopefully it’ll hold for a bit. The whole portion that snapped is barely bigger than my hand, so I’m hoping a zip tie and a new fastener will be enough once I get it somewhere I can have a mechanic take a closer look. Thanks y’all!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

I got a 2016 Honda Civic. I recently had my wheels swapped out for the end of winter, and they told me to come back to check the torque. When I did they said there were a couple nuts a bit loose and they re-tightened them. I've driven about 95 miles since then with no issues, is there any reason not to suspect that they just screwed up torquing the lugnuts the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

at least in the States most tire places include the re-torque

Yeah the tire shop I got the wheels from does the swapover and torque check for free, so I’m letting them handle all of it.

Thanks for the info everyone! I’ve put about 200 miles on since they tightened them again without any issue so fingers crossed there won’t be any in the future.