Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

I asked earlier and I dont think anyone answered, but is it feasible to get a shop to drain my AC system, then I can replace the compressor, then they can refill? Or am I missing something obvious?

Yes, you're missing the part where you have no way of pressure testing it and also shouldn't be installing the dryer until RIGHT BEFORE you vac and fill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

(because quotes aren't always accurate),

Especially bodywork quotes. What happens when this totally minor looking bumper scratch that gets quoted turns into needing more parts once it's disassembled? That's pretty typical of collision damage.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Based on the picture that could be anything from a bumper cover respray to a new bumper cover to a new bumper cover plus all of the impact absorbing bits behind it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I called my insurance company in a case like this. They fixed my car right away for $0 and then went after the other insurance company for the money.

Your insurance company/state may vary on this, but it's generally the right way to go.

Sometimes you have to pay your deductible until it's subrogated (they get paid by the other insurance company). But this is pretty much one of the reasons you pay for insurance......let them do the legwork/paperwork unless the striking driver's insurance company is willing to play ball immediately.

I've done both in different situations. The one where I used my own insurance company happened when the striking vehicle company was moving too slowly. Called the case agent back and said "this isn't working; I'm not waiting any longer. Expect a call from my insurance company." I had authorization to repair with promise of payment three days later from my own company.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McMadCow posted:

So here's a weird one. It's from a Porsche, but generic enough that I don't want to bother asking in the Porsche thread...

'99 Boxster, base 2.5 engine.
I just installed Manzo SS headers and catback exhaust. Everything works fine and there's no leaks or anything. I've been driving about 100 miles with it so far and there is a fairly large buildup of lint/fuzz on the back of the car from the tailpipes. It's white in color and looks like a cross between peach fuzz and dryer lint. I assume it's from the mufflers, but has anyone seen this sort of thing before? Does it go away fairly soon...?

It's muffler fluff. 100 miles isn't enough to even know what you exhaust note will end up at yet.

But keep an eye on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Quick question about my rear view mirror. The mirror has popped off a couple of times, and car vibrations tend to start the dislodge process. The button that's attached to the window is stuck on tight, it's the spring (?) part that slides over it that doesn't hold it completely fast anymore. Is there some kind of glue that will work for this? Searching for mirror replacement glue only brings up the glue for the button itself. Or am I stuck buying a new mirror assembly and sliding it onto the button...

If you have the spring type and not a set screw all you can do is try to bend the spring out more (obviously while it's off the windshield). A small pry bar works.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

84 VW scirocco.

To my knowledge no adapter exists, I haven't looked at it per say but my assumption would be that its hardwired in with no wiring harness adapter.

The current "standard" would be and ISO plug. You should be able to find the male side easily, and with a bit of looking find the female side.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HummedExplosions posted:

So I'm looking at a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. I know that these had issues with frame rust, and that this truck is outside of Toyota's replacement window. I took some pictures of the worst of it, does this look concerning or normal and expected?

http://imgur.com/a/10Jkb

It doesn't look nearly as bad as a lot of them, but I'd want to poke around at it. Like literally poke at the rust, and not just in the easy to access spots.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wormil posted:

'99 F150, 4.6L, 178k miles, Auto, 2wd

About 2 weeks ago it started having a hesitation or loss of power while going up grade. This has progressively gotten worse so it happens all the time, except when coasting of course. First thought was a fuel problem because that's what it feels like so I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the MAF but that didn't help. It starts easily and revs with a hesitation while in park. The problem is worse around 2k rpm and while in overdrive. The only codes are c1230/c1229, something about a speed sensor.

99% chance the rear axle speed sensor is bad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ROFLburger posted:

Has anyone ever encountered intermittent rod knock?

My 06 Evo is making a noise that sounds like rod knock at idle and very low rpm that goes away when I Rev 1500+. it started half way through my 500MI road trip when I noticed it while stopped at a gas station.

The thing is, at the next gas stop, I didn't hear the noise at all. I popped the hood at idle and it sounded perfect. Then the next gas station I heard it again at idle. Then I finally got home and I'm not hearing it at all now. I'm kinda making GBS threads bricks about this.

That sounds a lot more like piston slap then rod knock.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

Yeah, that's what my 4.0 did for a while before it munched the piston completely.

And my 4.6 ford mod motor did it from about 36,001 miles until I sold it at 220k. As far as I know it's still going.

Sometimes it's not a big deal, just annoying. Not sure on the motor ROFLburger is talking about.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

asdf32 posted:

My AC was occasionally turning on/off last year (pretty cold when it was cold, not at all cold when it wasn't cold) and just shut off completely off in the middle of driving this summer.

I was skeptical that it could be pressure given the black and white nature but then read (briefly) that there is a pressure threshold which could possibly cause this.

Anyway, I bought the kit and when I plugged it in the pressure gauge needle flipped around almost 360 degrees going way off the chart and stopping just below the blue. I didn't realize at first and started adding coolant thinking, because it was just below the blue, that it was too low. It actually did move about 10 degrees until it got stuck on the wrong side of the lower limit pin. In about 5 minutes until I put the pieces together as to what was happening the can didn't get noticeably lighter.

Removing it from the car causes the needle to flip back around to the proper side of the lower limit pin as I'd expect.

So what the hell. Is it just a bad gauge, did I do something really stupid, or is something wrong with the car (07 Honda Fit).

Please put down the cheapie recharge kit and start at the beginning of my AC thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616944

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dollas posted:

2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS in case it matters.

Wanting to check the freon level and I have one of those little 10-20$ kits that come with the gauge and attached bottle. The bottle is long gone, i just have the attachment/gauge. Am I going to hurt myself or the car using the gauge (on the low pressure port) without a bottle on it?

It's not going to tell you much of anything useful.

See my AC thread for information: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616944&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Yes that will definitely be my go to resource. I just haven't dug in too hard because of the difficulty finding gauges.

You can order them from amazon, harbor freight, etc. I got the set I use the most at a ReTool (used tool store). But until you have them you are flying blind.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

My wife lost the remote to her car and we're down to one key. It's just a standard chip key and the one she lost was a flip key/remote thing. What's the best way to go about replacing it?

Is it a red car or a blue car?

efb.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

What's the best DOT 4 brake fluid avaliable in north america?

ATE (gold or blue - I switch on each change so I know I have a full bleed)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Blue isn't for sale in the U.S. anymore. :( loving ridiculous.

SERIOUSLY? Had to look this up. http://hooniverse.kinja.com/braking-news-ate-super-blue-illegal-for-u-s-distribut-1153557989/1154188522

I guess my stash is gonna run out then. I only have 2 more cans of blue.

How loving ridiculous is that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No, there will be more bleeding and cursing, especially in the back (loving master cylinder and booster in the way).

I typically use some combination of a wobbler and u joint (yes, both at the same time on different length extensions) to get at the back ones.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BadSamaritan posted:

Am I right in just walking away from this

YES.

And if at all possible separate your finance from the purchase. Like go to your bank or credit union and tell them what you want to spend on a car and see if they will loan you the money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are those loving wire nuts? Prime indicator of a hack job right there.

If it's the build quality of the few golf carts I've had the displeasure of working on those could be from the factory.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Alright so atlanta has really lovely roads and my 94 ranger bounced me up into the roof of the cab at least twice today. I have cheap monroe shocks on all around and have never done anything with the springs or anything on the front. You guys think a better quality shock would fix that or do I need to look at shocks and springs?

You need to slow down, pick better lines, or not drive a mini pickup. Or at least drive it with a few hundred pounds in the bed.

I suppose it's possible your springs are so beat that you are hitting the bump stops, but that seems unlikely and wouldn't happen if you follow the previous advice. Your truck would also handle like a disaster in nearly any situation if the springs and/or shocks were that bad.

Arriviste posted:

That's Drive and Overdrive. OD has a higher gear ratio and can be used all the time, except for certain situations like towing or steep elevation changes. (AKA "use it for cruisin', not workin'.")

The difference between drive and overdrive on an automatic is almost always whether the torque converter locks up (typically at a predetermined speed in top gear, usually around 50 MPH) or not. It isn't "another gear".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It feels like the truck isnt even in contact with the road in the worst of it.

This sounds a whole lot like a 1/4 ton pickup to me.

But if your is worse than normal, let's talk about just how new these shocks are. And if they are any good at all to begin with (oil leaking out of them, if you bounce a corner a bunch of times and let go do it keep bounding or does it stop inside of one cycle?)

Also, how many miles are on this thing? Has anyone would could say "that spring is broken" or other suspension issues looked at it?

It's hard to get a sense of just how bad is bad over the internet, but.....as I've said mini trucks typically ride like unmitigated poo poo in the manner you have described.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Its got a lot of miles on it. 272000 so far. I replaced the shocks with cheap monroes when I got it almost one year ago. I have gone over it and the springs look fine but they may be worn out but not broken.

I went and bounced all corners and the thing sways and rocks like a drunk no matter what corner you bounce. None stop within once cycle.

So your shocks are bad. There is no question about that. Start there.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So is the circle D the OD, or is the regular D? I just want to know what gear to keep it in for normal driving. If we're going up to the mountains, odds are we're doing it in my Subaru anyway, and that's a manual so that's simpler if I need to speed up faster.

Put it in overdrive (circle D). This is always the answer unless you are plowing or towing.

This information is also in the owners manual that is in your glove box. If it's missing you can find it online at the manufacturer's web site.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

scuz posted:

Is it possible for a 2002 Golf 2.0L to pass a compression test and still be leaking oil into the cylinders? I thought I had solved my oil consumption issue by replacing the valve cover gasket, but the motor is still going through oil pretty quick, like a quart every 4 weeks.

Depending on the conditions of a test and what constitutes "passing", yes.

Also, leaking isn't consumption. Valve cover gaskets cause leaks while bad valve guides and various ring/cylinder wall issues (among other things) cause consumption (burning of the oil). Consumption is much worse not only because it's typically more difficult/expensive to repair but also because you are blowing oil through your cats.

So exactly how much oil is disappearing how frequently? Are there any other external leaks (like, have you cleaned the motor and then driven it for a while and confirmed no new oil shows up on it or the ground)? Do you blow blue smoke under any conditions (most popularly under acceleration or revving after extended idling)?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Usually you're right but I am having a really hard time thinking of any application where the difference between drive / overdrive is only the lockup and not an additional gear with a ratio less than 1:1.

I guess I'm thinking older poo poo with 3/4 speed autos. It's pretty typical there.

I guess with 5/6/7/8 speeds they are locking out gears for this kind of thing. But torque converter lockup still doesn't' happen unless you're in top gear as far as I know. (outside of special snowflake)

We all know there are exceptions to everything, like chrysler trans that don't use the same gears on the way up as they do on the way down, but I'm just talking generalities.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

Hm, I've never seen a "manual mode" automatic that will actually hold a gear no matter what. My Chevy certainly doesn't do that. But, that's good to know.

1 should hold 1, but 2 won't hold 2.....just keep it out of 3 (so it can be in 1 or 2).

From what I understand most transmissions will override this if the rpms go up too high. I know a lot of the 90s/2000s ZF boxes do.

Of course this is probably all different with flappy paddle autos. My friends' previous gen S4 would actually hold a gear and you could lug it at low rpms.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

http://www.mrinjector.us/

Get a rebuild kit, pull some out of scrap and send them off, send your off. All depends on your time line. I'd recommend one of the last two.

.....if it's even the injectors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"Window scraper"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GiantDutchman posted:

it now has 4 Linglong Crosswind tires instead of the Michelin that it had when I was test driving it.

Bait and switch. Should should have refused taking delivery right then and there. The worn out Michelins were likely twice as good as new chinese tires.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I was checking out a late model 2014 used car that seems great but I'm on the fence because of one issue I saw. For whatever reason, the passenger door jamb has expanding foam in it. No idea why it was there. I didn't bring it up to the dealer yet, maybe using it as a bargaining chip later if it's nothing major.

Any reason why you guys think someone might have put it there? Any common reason someone would do that? Maybe to fix a rattle? Or is it a common tactic to cover up something more nefarious?

I took a photo while I was on the test drive.

Run away. PO was an idiot and you'll be finding even worse things soon if you buy that car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Any thoughts on window chip repair kits?

I was looking at this Loctite one - http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37613-Windshield-Adhesive-Syringe/dp/B0015POUIM/

The RainX one seems complicated.

Most insurance companies will do chip repair for free, and send someone out with the proper equipment to make a good repair (that won't).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stray posted:

My 2008 Nissan Sentra (~82K miles, stick shift) has developed a problem with stalling.

Let's say I'm stopped at a traffic light; the engine is idling (~750 rpm), when suddenly (about 10-20% of the time) the revs drop and the engine stalls. A bit more creepily, it's even done this a few times when I'm getting off the highway; I put the clutch all the way down as I slow down for the offramp and the revs, instead of dropping to idle, bottom out and the car stalls (while I'm still moving at 50mph). Always, though, I can restart the engine and it goes right back to running normally.

At first, I thought it might be the A/C kicking in and drawing too much from the engine when it's idle, but it happens even when the A/C is off. What's going on with my baby?

Bad IAC or a bad TPS.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's something that SHOULD HAVE BEEN taken care of in the course of an alignment. You had a lazy tech.

And nobody cares about things like that on a trade in at a dealership.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the best lubricant for an old-school Bendix screw mechanism on a starter motor? It's not totally jammed, but it has an annoying tendency to just sit there spinning rather than throwing out to engage unless you give it a thump.

The bendix is not supposed to be lubed at all according to the guys at my local rebuild place. I was told that anything thin enough to do the job just ends up making a mess and getting into the starter to cause problems and anything heavy enough to stay cakes up and makes the situation worse than it was before in short order.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

There is a stinky spot of carpet in our car

What made it stink and how wet wast it? To begin with we have to talk about surface nasty vs. wet poo poo that got into the padding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

We're not exactly sure what made it smell. Is there an option that would cover both? Would an interior detailing solve the issue?

Yes, the most difficult of the two options: remove the carpet and padding from the vehicle so it can be cleaned and dried properly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

On the other hand, everything is available

Have fun sourcing a new bulkhead. Unless someone else started making them again.

I've walked away from two series trucks because the bulkheads were too far gone to repair and too expensive to replace.

That might be different in the UK where you can get one from a scrap yard (maybe).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spog posted:

We can get them *new* here In fact

Yeah....and it costs more than the shitheap you intend to put it in. At least when i last looked.

Blah blah shipping (wasn't the real issue).

If you have a better lead on some let me know, because it will change my opinion on disassembling a hunk of rust in my shed for 2 years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stevobob posted:

Anyone tried this before? DIY smoke machine with 3psi regulated air and mineral oil smoke.

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/general-chat/topic35820.html

I have a "large leak" and don't want to pay a shop $100+ to do the same thing with fancier hoses and gauges.

Yes.

Works great.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stevobob posted:

Do you just haul any old vacuum line off, plug one side and smoke the other?

Not sure what you mean. That regulator on the side is an LP regulator. They are good to about 200 PSI and put out 1/2 a PSI on the other side (into the can). Once you get the wick hot enough (only cover it part way with mineral oil) you have 1/2 PSI of smoke coming out of the hose.

Throw it on the brake booster line or something for general intake vacuum leaks. If you don't find anything you need to look at a vac diagram and figure out where there are valves in the system of whatever type and either actuate them or just plug in past the valve.

This also works great for finding exhaust leaks. Just find a rubber stopper the size of your tail pipe, drill a hole and plug the hose in. Give it a few minutes to fill with smoke and you'll find the leak.

(protip: drilling through soft rubber plugs sucks rear end, but if you put them in the freezer overnight things go a lot easier)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Looked at a New 2015 Accord last night. See on the block between the exhaust cover thing on the left and the dipstick on the right there is a shiny faced hole? It is threaded and say 0.5-1.0 cm deep. Is there something missing there? The shiny surface looked like it is meant to mate to something, like a washer or a bolt.

If you're concerned about this (it's a new vehicle under warranty) why not ask them, or open the hood of the dozen on either side of it to see if they are the same?