Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Inner Light posted:

I'm just imagining someone flipping into a rage as crossfade kicks into their 10 hour trance mix to tell them to turn left.

Someone on these here forums posted that they won’t have turn by turn audio because it interrupts they tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SpeedFreek posted:

You would think by now that you would be able to adjust the volume for navigation separately. Podcasts and books are recorded at a much lower volume than everything else so you get the occasional 'THERE IS A SPEED TRAP AHEAD" at 110db warning you about the cop you passed a minute ago.

you can, at least in Carplay

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah battery first and go from there. When was it last replaced?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah “a few little clicks” sounds a lot like some minor gear grinding due to not sufficiently depressing the clutch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Travic posted:

Uh oh. I checked on my way to work. I've got the clutch all the way in. I guess I should have it checked out? 3rd seems to be the biggest offender. Sometimes the shift just feels rough. No resistance, just not a nice pop in.

It’s probably just the syncros and not equalizing revs if I have to guess. Manual transmission feel stuff is notoriously hard to diagnose over the internet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

50k miles is also reasonable for tire life for what it's worth.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Annath posted:

Sure, but these tires were warranted for 50K, they had only been used for around 30K.

It would have been helpful to include that information up front! You just said "less than 50k miles" which usually means "close to but less than 50k"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all good. you have a good course of action!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drive your car to a fancy pick n pull and open the trunk probably

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Knowing what normal gas station batteries cost... that's one hell of a price every oil change. Oof.

I think the battery has to be VIN coded as well on the F10 to add to the pain and suffering.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

even just an autozone battery for my e39 started tickling $400 by the time i stopped driving it. ugh

I bought a new battery for my E39 earlier this year and it cost $179 including the core charge. From a BMW dealership.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AlmightyPants posted:

Two years ago I bought a 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si coupe (automatic) since I wanted a car again after buying out a lease and reselling to Carvana for free money. It's a great little car, but it has what can charitably be described as a harsh ride. Couple that with the dire state of roads on Long Island and it's led to a fair amount of back pain. Long story short, I'm thinking of selling it and getting something more comfortable. What's considered the best place to go about selling a 16 year old sports car with 105k miles on it? I know I'm not going to make a profit here, but if I can get a good price then I'd be happy. I saw a similar car, https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3RpYx5a8/2007-bmw-z4-30si-coupe, just sell. I know nothing of how these auction sites work, Cars and Bids considered to be good?

What do you think is a good price?

That car is a decent comp with a couple major factors that are going to drive a premium over your car: It's an AZ car, so no rust, and it has 40k fewer miles on it. But if C&B is taking that car, they'll probably take yours. C&B is fine, it's a bit of a lower end site than something like BaT (which I doubt would take your car), but better suited for something niche like your car than say, eBay motors. You will want to detail the car in advance, take good photos of the car (maybe even pay a professional a couple hundo to do it), highlight any known issues with the car in a fairly honest way, and stay engaged with the idiot commentariat throughout the bidding process without losing your mind.

Another decent option would be Z4 model specific forums. Usually they have a classifieds section. Be warned that most people looking for a 16 year old 2 door sporty car are not going to be interested in the automatic so you will take a hit versus MT comparables.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AlmightyPants posted:

Thanks for the advice! I know I overpaid for it because covid used car prices were unreal, I'm not looking to make a profit or anything, just minimize the losses. I'm also aware that it won't be as valuable because it's an automatic. I'd like to get back 85-90% of the purchase cost on sale, not sure how realistic that is. It's only been 2 years and 5k miles, but yeah, it is a niche car.

You should be fine on cars and bids. What are you actually looking to get? I think 14 is probably realistic, floor down around 12 or so. Assuming good condition, good service records etc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it could also just be the bottom of the bumper cover

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Also, seem to recall a manufacture (I'm thinking perhaps BMW) where fluids would siphon into the wiring harnesses.

mk IV Volkswagens where fluid would siphon in to the tail lights eventually

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not aware of any instances where they are greased at assembly, for what it's worth.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i dont really understand why you would buy a WRX and then put poo poo rubber on it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Slapping a bumper cover on a Corolla is not a particularly high dollar job, and they’re probably busy with insurance work because Americans have decided that we like nothing better than crashing our cars in to each other.

Based on the fact that you’ve had the frankenrepair for a while, I’d recommend trying to find a salvaged cover in the same color. (I get the sense that you don’t fully care about how this looks and a looks-fine-from-10-feet repair is okay with you) The only thing you really need a specialized body shop for is the paint, and if you find a pre painted salvage cover you can probably get your mechanic to slap it on (or even do it yourself, it’s not very difficult).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

On modern cars blend door actuators are all servos. Almost nothing is driven off of vacuum.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you're trading it in almost certainly not

Station wagons that have been solid in America in the last... 10 years:
1) A4 Avant / Allroad - nice, luxurious, expensive, not common
2) A6 Avant / Allroad - nice, luxurious, expensive, not common
3) Golf/Jetta Sportwagen/Alltrack - fairly good and more comparable to the Civic in terms of size and driving experience, generally avoid TDIs unless you know what you are getting in to, Mk7 cars are quite reliable
4) Volvo V60 / V60XC - not the most reliable thing in the world but they are pretty nice inside and out, expensive
5) Volvo V90 / V90XC - scarce as hens teeth, expensive
6) Buick Regal TourX - quite good but not common
7) Mercedes E Class - very nice but expensive
8) Mini Clubman - technically a wagon, uncommon, quite fun to drive
9) Porsche Taycan and Panamera - lol

Your options are limited - the only cars kind of within the "civic equivalent" space are the Volkswagens, kind of the Clubman if you squint, and the Regal TourX. and for your use case a hatchback will be perfectly fine and opens up a host of other opportunities.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Hatch sounds good to me. Though I’m also realizing I’m deeply car-stupid, especially considering I’ve had a starter Civic for 13 years. I’ll research durable and reliable hatchbacks then and not worry too much about my current car, thanks!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

that's the car buying thread which is pretty good but the standard thread recs are gonna be Gods Own Chariot the Toyota Prius, mazda3, civic hatch, corolla hatch, and probably the impreza/crosstrek although i personally don't care for those and they are much less reliable than the others

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

You're gonna list the V60xc and not the Subaru Outback? :mad:

the outback is a CUV and the V60XC is a V60 with a mild lift

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I’ve heard good things about all of those (maybe less so the Subarus).

One point got brought up regarding the advantages of hatchback-form crossovers over hatchback-form sedans. Think Mazda 3 vs. Mazda CX-5. I hear that it might be worth getting a car with higher lift and tire size due to the roads in my area being poo poo and badly maintained with potholes and garbage. I’m not really sure how crossovers compare to standard hatchbacks otherwise. What else would I be trading on?

you live in :wrongcity: not Kinshasa. you will be just fine. don't drive in to actively huge pot holes, this is good advice no matter what you drive. bigger wheels and tires are not good as typically this means more wheel and less tire, which is worse for road / impacts / etc

crossovers are taller, worse to drive, worse fuel economy versions of hatchbacks and wagons. the advantage is you get a a couple of inches of ground clearance that don't actually do anything for you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I would think because it more accurately represents the real mileage but still allows tracking of the mileage.

how does it more accurately represent the real mileage?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Looks like a JAC J7 electric.

It's definitely a JAC J7 but it is certainly the 1.5T - it has exhaust outlets

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The civic gets away with more cargo space because the entire car is the size of a Buick Century. The civic is not a small car any more.

It's all of 2.something inches longer than the Mazda3 hatch. At a super reductive level, Honda cares more about packaging and Mazda cares more about refinement.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Would it be super tacky if i bought a new white camry, two tone it and add paint/decals/wings to make it look like ae86 trueno / Hachiroku?

Without the japanese characters.

How expensive is it to make a paint job additions look like its straight from factory?

Also how hard is it to keep a white car clean and not look grimy/cheap?

doing it with a camry is fundamentally lame when the 86 exists

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

On RockAuto I think they are called "Shock / Strut & Coil Spring Assembly" but yeah that will save you some time and risk. Doesn't do anything about the rust, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wing mirror or interior mirror?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Then I’m gonna go ahead and just replace the entire thing as shown in that video I linked above, motor and all. Better safe than sorry I guess.

If quality is so important, any recommended brands?

I would buy the genuine Honda part probably

aftermarket is spotty, and this one worked for 13 years so you'll probably be fine

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Eh, more like ~10 years.

your car is 13 years old

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

yeah but i first noticed the problem a few years ago and only just now started taking it seriously :v:

Regardless, just get the Honda one if you want to keep the car. It lasted for ten years, an AM replacement is not likely to do better. But you've been talking about getting a new car, so if you do decide to go that route, you should just slap in whatever cheap poo poo aftermarket junk you can find.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

throwing cheaper aftermarket fixes at 10+ year old cars before selling them is a time honored tradition

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

shouldn't the light have popped on closer to when I got the new gas tank installed and not a few months later?

it's possible that the new gas tank was fine for a little while and then broke. not super uncommon for EVAP / filler neck / breather valve / whatever issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kastein posted:

It's fairly non critical hardware, I would probably just put it back up. A lot of them are aluminum anyways.

I assume OP was saying that the paint wore through on the driveshaft. If they’re just talking about the heat shield I agree with you.