Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I’m looking for ideas to re-attach the John Cooper Works tuning kit badge to my motor.

This is the badge front:

And this is the back:

And this is where it goes:

And some jerk engineer at Mini thought it was a good idea to mount it using some kind of plastic fastener that melted years ago because it’s on top of the exhaust manifold and about three inches from the turbocharger. Good going Clive!

The backing for the plate is squishy foam. VHB tape simply won’t adhere so I’m thinking some kind of high temperature compatible epoxy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Motronic posted:

Yeah, the squishy foam is gonna be the problem here because it's not a good surface to bond to. Get some of it off and use VHB or expoxy.

Old stuff scraped off, plastic treated with goo gone and metal treated with brake cleaner, plaque re-affixed.

Upon inspection I think that the foam was actually VHB as well, just lightly toasted by exposure to the engine.

Rather than stick the plaque back where it fell off of I put it on the air filter box where the tape should last longer.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I like Sylvania's ZEVO line for anything LED/automotive; but I'm not finding a C5W. Is there another name those go by?

SYLVANIA - DE3175 31mm ZEVO LED Festoon White Bulb - Bright LED Bulb, Ideal for Interior Lighting - Map, Dome, Trunk, Cargo and License Plate (Contains 1 Bulb) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BDWHXI0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3hC3DbG7KKHV8

It’s this or something close to it. I found it by looking up the dimensions of the C5W (31mm length) and working from there.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Uthor posted:

Stupid question: anyone have a recommendation for a good quality chrome license plate frame? I got a cheap pair from AutoZone to replace the dealer frames a year ago and they are now completely pitted and look like absolute poo poo.

(I used plain black frames, but chrome ones match the trim on my new car)

How about polished stainless steel?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01JAWEJF0?tag=aq-amazon08-20&sa-no-redirect=1

There's also billet aluminum but they're $$ and a theft hazard.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Steve French posted:

I have no idea how TPMS works, and have never had a car with TPMS and multiple sets of wheels. Is there any possibility of interference? I got a car used with winter tires and wheels on it in January and it started throwing TPMS warnings this winter every once in a while; I just swapped the wheels over last weekend and driving it everything seemed to be fine until the moment I pulled into the garage, when I got a warning again. The extra set of wheels is naturally in the garage right next to where the car is parked. Is there any possibility of this being an issue, or is something else likely going on?

The answer is it heavily depends on the year, make, model and sometimes trim level of the vehicle. Some cars can manage multiple sets of tires, most don't.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Is AI Slack still a thing and if so may I have an invitation?

Leeloo says hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Leeloo would like to know who's good with Japanese and is willing to help me with part information lookup?

Site: https://www.duell.jp/products/

Part #: F56PSFRPDG

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-duell-ag-parts/duell-ag-f54-f55-f56-f57-f60-frp-dark-gray-shifter-pair/f56psfrpdg~dag/

What I'm looking for is the overall length of the paddles from top to bottom. Any other data besides that is gravy, but the critical number is the overall length and hopefully that number is > 120mm which is the length of the stock paddles on my car.

And here's the why:

:black101:

Thanks, all y'all are amazing.