Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Protip: don't throw parts at a car.

Protip II: don't get it serviced by the dealer, unless you have a warranty, in which case, keep your receipts even if you get it serviced by the dealer. Case in point: Hyundai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I request an epilepsy-inducing animated tag.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hyundai: You took your oil cap off and added a quart once in the middle of a 1000 mile road trip? Warranty void.

Or so I understand.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My rear brakes squeak a little on hard stops. They squeaked all of the time, so I took the drums off (including purchasing an impact gun and 36mm impact socket specifically for this job), cleaned out approx. 1200 pounds of brake dust, verified brake shoe thickness (still good), then reassembled everything. They didn't squeak at all for, maybe, two miles of driving, then started right back up.

I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I mean, heaven forbid I drive a car without embarrassing myself.

(Who am I kidding? It's a beetle, I should be constantly embarrassed)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is that kind of like the super beetle's front sway bar?

I've heard people say it has an "impossible" front suspension. Is that because the sway bar is the only thing triangulating the control arm?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If they only have a certain brand in stock, then that's fine.

Also remember, mechanics are a business and need to make a little money.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hoo boy don't look up what that $800 pair of glasses I sold your mother costs if you think 100% markup is insane. There's a reason 100% markup is called Keystone pricing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I guarantee that $800 pair of glasses cost me less than $40, sometimes less than $20.

I'm not saying anything specifically, but the price is what the market will bear. If they're pricing things at twice retail, then it must be working for them to have the habit of doing so. Not saying it's right, but it's up to each business owner to decide how they're going to make their profit, and which market to cater to.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

99 ford explorer 4.0 sohc

Last week my heater worked great, one day in stop and go traffic I noticed it wasn't quite so warm but just assumed it was because I was mostly idling. Now I can drive for 45 minutes and the air never gets above "very slightly warm", it just slowly got cooler and cooler over a week or so. The extent of my knowledge is to check for coolant, and I have plenty in the tank and in the radiator itself.

My coolant temperate guage doesnt work so I was going to just blindly buy a temp sensor to fix that and a thermostat hoping mine is stuck open. Anything else to look or check for?

You're overheating your car, most likely.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Real cars have a cable clutch :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Raluek posted:

So the same thing can happen to you when the fulcrum sector thing gets all oblong on its shaft, or a cable starts wearing through somewhere? :v:

If that happens, I take some needle nose pliers (or a leatherman or something) and twist the clutch cable up a little bit in a spot of free play, then run a zip-tie through the loop. Temporarily tightens it enough for a trip home, or sometimes breaks the cable :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Years and years ago, when my fiancee was moving from New York to Idaho, she went to a uhaul location and they installed a trailer hitch on her 98 Explorer, and rented her a trailer.

She made it to El Paso (going through Phoenix, then up) when there was a problem with the trailer wiring or something, so she went to the closest uhaul location to have it fixed so she could continue her journey. They politely informed her that they can't rent trailers to her era of Explorer (company policy or something), and promptly confiscated the trailer and dumped her poo poo in the lot, and told her that it wasn't their problem.

gently caress uhaul forever.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The bright silver box fancy ones are rated for 80 hours, where the cheap purple or blue box ones are rated for hundreds of hours.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

zundfolge posted:

Has anyone here ever seen an aftermarket battery terminal that looks like the one in this picture?

This?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

bolind posted:

Going to do spark plugs on an Opel Astra H 1.6 tonight. Anyone know what the torque spec is?

Edit: OK, this page says 25Nm, so going to go with that.

I do whatever is on the box of the spark plug. Gasket, tight plus a quarter turn. Wedge, tight plus an eighth.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Note, the passcode to my knockoff dongle was 6789 or 4567 or something, not 0000 like standard. This wasn't documented and I thought it was broken for awhile.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ghetto wasp trap. Container with a funnel on top pointing inwards, with a slice of lunchmeat ham at the bottom.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Wasps like ham, eh?

I used it plenty of times to refill my wasp traps (those yellow cones/cylinders you put bait into), and it works beautifully. I read about it somewhere years and years ago and turns out it works.

There's probably something less-messy, but whatever.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even Jay Leno has problems finding good heads for his straight-8 dusenberg engines. I think in his latest dusenberg video (like two years ago) he said he spent a fortune having one custom machined.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's like $25 at a shop, max, even if you buy your own.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cr0y posted:

big
cheap
deep cycle

Choose two.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All holes do is create areas for heat cracks to form.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found a consumer reports article that says brighter lights don't actually cast their beams any farther. That seems wrong, since intensity is directly related to power at any given distance. But maybe it's just a trick of the eye, where you see whiter, shorter wavelength light as brighter? I don't know. All I know is I had these things for five and a half years, and the PO had them for who knows how long. Probably anything would be better than these.

If you shine a flashlight so the top edge of the focused beam touches the ground 500 feet away, it doesn't matter how bright the bulb is, because it will still only go 500 feet before hitting the ground.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

2002 Ford Escape, v6 engine: engine light came on, code indicates one of the upstream 02 sensors is bad. Local chains want $45 per sensor for what is $25 per on Rockauto or Amazon. Would it be risky to the engine to operate it as is while the parts come in or would lovely gas mileage be the only concern? We're talking a week, tops.

Replace the sensor, but if you have the 4.0 and the problem comes back with the same or a different sensor, I may have bad news for you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I assume for things like transmission problems/codes you could be the type of person that "predicts and assists" (easing off and/or applying more throttle, based on grade and load, kind of hard to explain?) the automatic transmission at the shift points, whereas a person you lend the car to doesn't know how it behaves, and a transmission that's on the edge of throwing a code with you could struggle with someone who hammers it or babies it. Maybe? I had a 96 Acclaim that the PO clearly didn't use the proper ATF+4 in for a few thousand miles, and when I drove it I could predict its bad behavior and "help" it through shifts by jamming the throttle a bit near the shift point and cause a harder shift, that it could handle. Then my friend drove it and it slipped and missed shifts all over the place and pitched a fit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

blk posted:

At what mileage should I consider a suspension refresh? I'm thinking about my Saabaru in particular and am not sure what I should look at/replace besides bushings - springs and struts? Anything else?

70-100k depending on road quality and butt fatness

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Which 110v HF welder was the only not-poo poo one for auto body use again? I can't find the posts about them. I just need to do some replacement body panels on the bus, and I'll be learning at the same time.

I'm also assuming an angle grinder is appropriate for old rusty panel cutting at odd angles, right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Sounds like a pretty tall order but if such a thing exists I might get one too.

I thought there was one. Like, one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Speednut?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

Also because nobody wants to put their kids in that death trap.

Hey, the kids will be just fine, protected by the engine from the rear and the parental crumple zone in the front.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok here's one that's probably quite stupid.

I have, as best as I can tell, this starter motor in my pickup:

I can see the two beefy bolts on the solenoid that come from the battery and go to the starter. I can see, in between those, the connector that should presumably go to the ignition switch.

So what's that loving green wire? I only noticed it today when my truck wouldn't start (it just made slow solenoid-sounding clicks, and then eventually didn't click at all, even after I bump started it and drove home). Right now it's just hanging down more or less like in the picture, not connected to anything. I don't remember if it's always been like that or what.

On a lot of Chryslers, I think I recall that being something for a remote start option.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
1973 VW bay window bus. I have a leak in my new master cylinder, but I'm not sure if it's a real leak or I'm doing something wrong. 211611021AA - Master Cylinder, Dual Circuit, For use with Power Brakes from SoCalImport

I tried reseating it, and checking o-rings, but this is a constant, slow drip. One big drip every five seconds or so that I can stop by putting my finger over it. Pumping the brakes does not make it worse. Is there supposed to be a plug for this hole, or is this a faulty cylinder, or what?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 27, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Allegedly new

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

Just need to get the drat bridgeport up and running so I can make the adapter plate and the lathe running so I can make the adapter shaft, that's all :v:

Do you know who has a brideport and works magic with a combination of candiadian redneckery and PHD education? AvE.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You're stupid for thinking about an element, and you need to buy it because I love them for some reason.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dielectric grease is non-conductive. All it does is prevent arcs in unexpected places around connections. As long as all of your connections are mechanically sound, then there should be no issue.

How are your grounds?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I wouldn't buy a car from a person who blacks out headlights

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also grease, a bungee cord, and a 10mm.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is it the original battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
(Speaking as a 98 Explorer 4.0 SOHC owner with 214k miles on it)

Bad electrical connections can seriously break the Explorer, especially if a fault occurs when the center diff is switching between modes, as it uses an electric motor connected to the cheapest plastic arms ever created, bathed in a very hot nasty oil. Also, they are in a difficult to access spot. Ask me how I know :v:

If you live in an area that gets winter salt, or is plain humid, it's worth your time and money to buy two cans of deoxit, a few feet of braided ground strap, and some 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch screw crimp connectors. Get underneath, and replace every ground strap that you find. Do not be surprised when they literally disintegrate (my video) when you go to move them. Some of them may also be just crimp connectors with no strap left between panels and frame pieces, so keep an eye out. After doing that, while you're under there, carefully unplug every connector, even the O2 sensor connectors, and spray them out with deoxit and reconnect them.

On the interior side, if you have to replace a dash bulb, like the backlight bulbs, do the same thing with the big 40 pin or whatever it is dash connector, as well as whatever portions of the circuitboard are exposed during the bulb replacement. Removing the center console is also fairly easy, and there is a 12 or 18 pin connector somewhere in the middle of the console between the bottom of the radio/pocket area and the E-brake (depends on trim level) that usually has one side of the connector attached to a metal backing plate. This connector runs power for your radio, the map lights/compass/thermometer, your auto-dimming rearview mirror, and (strangely) is also tied into the cruise control system. Deoxit this one, too, and you will save yourself hours and hours of headaches down the road when random poo poo stops working or you get a CEL with weirdass codes. Again, ask me how I know.

The rear windshield washer hose tends to crack both right at the nozzle behind the wiper arm, and inside the rear door where it crosses over into the vehicle. Check it out to make sure it's not leaking, as the water leaking down into the rear hatch or the passenger brake light area on the body side can cause so many problems.

On the engine side of things, if you've got a spare three or four hours, and you have the 4.0 (either variant), I would recommend replacing both intake manifold gaskets. One is six individual O-rings, the other is three O-rings that have two ports each, like a weird figure-8. IIRC (I did this in January) I needed some larger Torx screws, like T-40 and T-45, as well as one E-torx (torx socket), but other than that it was really easy, in a "it's just a series of bolts in sequence, no one-time-use fasteners or any other bullshit" way. I also used that opportunity with the engine cover and poo poo off to lubricate the cruise control and throttle cables. Whether or not you're going to do the intake gaskets, I highly recommend (actually, I'm making this one required) doing the PCV valve mod. This replaces the bullshit Ford one with a standard $3 one from Autozone, as well as adds a few inches of hose to take it out of the bowels of the firewall. I did my PCV valve back when the truck had 160k miles after going through a stock PCV valve every 20k or so, and I did it without removing the upper intake, which meant I was flying blind and feeling around for poo poo. Haven't had to touch a PCV valve sense.

If you just have 20 minutes to waste and want to do the most basic thing, go right now and check to be sure all of the intake clamps and boots are on tight. Carefully inspect how tightly the air temperature sensors are in the intake hose. The hose hardens and if you can spin them in their push-to-fit fittings, then you should pop them out and coat the outside of their bases with some RTV. IIRC on one of them there is enough of a flange that you can put a small hose clamp on it to ensure that there are no air leaks. The Explorers love to get hard (phrasing) intake rubber (phrasing) and leak a little bit everywhere, which kills drivability and idling stability if even a tiny bit leaks in.