Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They are g-g-garbage IMO.

Buy new coilpacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Single shear :argh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is that the tensioner on your van? It's hoopajooped.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Car pressures or truck pressures? For regular tires I have one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010A6B6KG/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it's pretty good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For bike tires I love this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HMOQCJY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's flow-through, so you can also install it at the end of a pump tube if you want.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 29, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought that was most common, leading to the habit of one filter every other oil change. That's what most of my vehicles have been, but a 2008 is the newest thing I've ever owned.

Even my ACVW was "Under severe dust conditions change oil daily. Otherwise, every 3000 miles," and the manual stated the filter (on the one that had a filter) was every 6k miles or 10k km.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I'm a dumbass and conflated the sticker with what I was doing. But on other vehicles, like my 97 CRV, it's an oil filter every other oil change. For my VW bus I put on an aftermarket supersize oil filter, because I needed high flow but low pressure, and I changed it every other or every third oil change. But I was also changing the oil itself every 1,000 miles during the summer, and every 3,000 miles during the winter, due to heat breakdown. A filter from a semi truck where oil changes were every 12-40k was doing just fine with my self-made schedule.

There are also a few vehicles out there that have oil filters in dumbfuck locations, or like on my P71 where it's difficult to get to without dropping this whole skidplate arrangement, that I will admit to doing more oil changes on than filter changes. I mean, yeah, it's super duper important to do both, but if you're on extremely limited time (like, say, before an emergency road trip) or extremely limited budget (like you only have $10 to your name for the next month but need to drive, the analogy isn't perfect), changing the oil itself minus filter can't exactly hurt anything.

You should do both however often according to the all-holy manual, of course. But the situations and manuals do exist where the filter is every-other. Weird.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 31, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Scam. Dealers do it to everyone they touch.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mine was for my 1988 Oldsmobile.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And also capitalizing on regional loyalty. Oldsmobile was the sub-luxury car with a "fun" twist, back in the day. See: Rocket 88, Toronado.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
While true, that attitude won't help you out friend.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Scam. Dealers do it to everyone they touch.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In my crown Vic it's hot for 20 minutes then shuts off.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My car sat outside with the doors open for quite awhile (ex cop car that was used as a prop on their shooting range), and both the airbag sensor connectors and fire suppression system connectors (under the seats and down low in the dash) were all wack. I'd get random check engine lights for "airbag squib" or "fire suppression activation alarm" until I finally traced them down. Took them apart, sprayed some deoxit down there, and they've been fine ever since. So, doesn't even have to be particularly wet conditions for it to happen. Might be worth buying a can and going to town on every connector you can find - certainly can't hurt. Especially interior connectors. They're not necessarily designed for weather resistance, but can see some harsh conditions like humidity or direct wetting (that's why flood cars are hosed).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you're really struggling, a low tank and a few gallons of e85 can help a vehicle pass. May also melt your pistons, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's nothing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Cool, good to know. Sorry you guys live where you have the bad seasons.

I live in Phoenix and have had cars come with more rust than that from the lot :D

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like rockauto has them, though I don't know if you have the DOHC, SOHC, or supercharged version (or if there is a difference other than header between the first two).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastern-Catalytic-Direct-fit-Catalytic-Converters-50-State-Legal-/163388241419?nav=SEARCH

That's about the price for it anywhere, rockauto shows CARB compliant.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Man I just rate shop every few years, probably doesn't look the greatest. But, like, progressive will climb from 50 to 75/month over two years, so I switched to USAA for better coverage for $45. Then, in 2-3 years when USAA is inevitably $65 I'll glomp to Geico or something.

Cox rose from $35 to over $60 over four years, and no amount of negotiation fixed it. So I dropped internet for a month and signed up as new for $30. gently caress 'em.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm conflicted, but gonna put this LM post here down in my "pretty good self-own" ledger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have ground the ends of M10 bolts into square shanks for emergency extensions at points. When it's 1 AM, everything is closed, you're half-asleep, and just need a little bit more extension, and you look over and eye the bench grinder sitting there, things happen.