Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I am thinking about buying a hybrid for my next vehicle and I am looking at the Toyota RAV4 hybrid.

Are there any significant changes in maintenance that I should be aware of with a hybrid versus a regular vehicle? (Id be interested in seeing how long the motor bearings last and if they are replaced on a schedule.)

Not unless you plan on keeping the car for longer than 300,000km's. The only changes worth mentioning are brakes that last longer and coolant capacity about 1.5x that of a normal rav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

lol internet. posted:

Any tips on how to check break pad usage without taking off a wheel off the car?

I have a 2007 Scion TC. The front pads you can the usage/wear but the rear pads are really harder to see as they seem to be smaller then the front and the calliper basically covers it.

The tip is to take the wheel off, you can't see the actual wear on any pads, front or rear, with the wheel on (unless you have a donk or something). The outside pad usually wears differently to the inner and they wear different side to side as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can tell there's a pad there sure. But I've seen ordinary, well-kept run-of-the-mill cars exactly like yours where the inner pad might be like a quarter of the meat of the outer pad for no reason whatsoever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah I've worked live around 800V and 4160V. I still treat the 250V battery bank with great respect. I have class 00 gloves that are good live to I think 500Vac. Replacing individual cells or cleaning corroded busbars is very do-able. I'd just be concerned about making sure replacement cells were matched/balanced.

The motors and inverters are up to 750V permanent magnet three-phase and I'm assuming there's a volts/hertz relationship with both the output from and regenerative input to the inverter. I wish the car had displays for voltage, current, and frequency at the MGs. And bearing vibration...

I'd also like to see if at some point I can disconnect the inverter to the motor and megger all the phases of the motor to the motor case. Just as long as I don't screw up and blow out all the cars electronics. Get a feel for the condition of the stator windings.

Just to recap two things are on my mind:
- Busbar corrosion
- Motor/generator life (stator, rotor, and bearings)

Only prius MG I've ever seen fail was because of a coolant leak and a dumb fucker of an owner. Source: worked at a toyota dealer for a few years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tater_salad posted:

My ex wife just bought a used highlander awd. I noticed the tires on it are pretty low on tread except one has quite a bit more tread (At least 1/8 of an inch more).
It's my assumption that this is bad for the awd system (at least that's the case with Subarus awd).
I told her to go back and bitch just due to the lack of tread, and also add that this is bad for the awd system, is this correct?

In theory yes and it's good that you did that because having one prominently less worn tyre than the other three isn't a good thing on any car, awd or not.

In practice it's a highlander and won't give two shits.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's why she's your ex wife.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

2001 Ford Escape:
My sis's escape has sprung a decent radiator leak 100+ miles from home. Are there any ways to temp patch it so we can get home?

Break two raw eggs into the radiator, fill with water.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Acid Reflux posted:

Oh, that's perfect! After looking at the picture you posted before, I had wondered if that's how the mechanism actually worked. I'm going to go out and Kroil the living hell out of it and see if anything loosens up. A quick look online tells me I can get a whole assembly for under $20, so I'll just grab a new one if this doesn't start working.

Thanks a bunch for the help - sometimes you just have to talk it through with someone.

I just want to add to this: the little rubber bumper things at the corners of the bonnet assist in pushing it open. As they wear you're supposed to raise the height of them by twisting them in the mount, or turning a screw or similar. You adjust them upwards until they're applying enough pressure to keep the bonnet pop-happy, but not so much that it won't close by gravity.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

So using a longer extension to get a bolt off doesn't take more force to break loose?

TBH I think the extension flexing takes up some of the torque which is why rattleguns seem to get less powerful the longer your extension gets. I don't think it takes more force but it certainly takes more angular travel on the wrench which makes it feel like it takes more force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hello AI goons! I have an issue with my 2008 2.4 transit diesel. It's a common rail motor with a screw on fuel filter in the engine bay. I'm pretty sure the fuel filter housing is faulty and allowing fuel to siphon back into the tank/air in the system when you leave the van sitting for a few days, it makes cold starting difficult. This is a documented problem on these vans.

My question: the factory housing has no priming plunger (but it does have a clogging indicator, thanks Ford for another thing nobody asked for) and there is no electric lift pump in the tank. I don't like this and would like to fit a generic one with a plunger, not least because it'll make fuel filter changes much less painful (and cheaper).

But.

The factory housing has a temperature-controlled return circuit, for emissions reasons I guess. When the fuel is cold, excess fuel from the pump isn't allowed to drain straight back into the tank, it goes back to the filter housing where it's looped back to the pump. Above a certain temperature some sort of thermo valve opens and the fuel can circulate as normal. If I replace the housing with a generic plunger type and just run the pump return straight to the tank, am I gonna gently caress myself? Or am I overthinking this?