Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
Hello thread! I am a dumb kid who drives a 1994 Jeep Wrangler.

It's nearing 150000mi and some dudes at Jiffy Lube told me that it was about time for me to change my air filter, so I said OK, bought a mexican air filter off the internet for $6, got it mailed to me, watched a youtube video, and installed it. I just flipped open the plastic housing, took out the old one, looked inside and didnt see any rocks or anything, and put the new one in.

The trouble is, to get it open, the youtube video I watched told me to disconnect this tube:

So it's this little plastic tube with a stiff rubber seal, I pulled on it expecting it to come out, then when it didn't I grabbed the rubber bit with my other hand and just wiggled it back and forth, using more and more force until I freed it. When I get it out, it's got jagged edges, which makes me think I loving broke it. So I googled around and couldn't even find the name of the part, thought "gently caress it" and used some super-thick CA glue that I have for model aircraft and just smeared it on the inside of the seal and jammed the tube back in.

I haven't noticed any problems yet, but also I have no idea what to look for, and there are so many goddamn things broken or loose on my jeep that it's tough to hear changes in the sound of it when I drive.

Am I letting unfiltered air into my engine, or did I merely cause trouble for myself when I have to put another air filter in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU