Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nerobro posted:

As long as there are travel limiting straps on it, it's no so bad...

I could be remembering this horribly wrong but I vaguely recall that the original engineers were aware of the issue and the initial corvair design had a rear anti roll bar precisely to act as a travel limiting strap and prevent it from killing you in a corner, it was subsequently taken out to get the price point down and magically it then wanted to kill you. I'm pretty sure GM just put the roll bar back in when remedying existing corvairs.

Edit: So I partially remembered this wrong. GM was aware of the issue but it was a front roll bar and the purpose was basically to make it so it would understeer and wash out way before before the car jack knifed on you. The final fix was travel limiting straps coupled with a front roll bar although some sources seem to think the front roll bar was a bandaid fix and ultimately unnecessary once the real issue was addressed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I took the front on my VW out completely, it'll have a minor effect on handling at best.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

OK, really dumb question here: my Golf's 2.0 liter 4-cylinder naturally-aspirated motor makes 114hp, and Honda's F20C 2.0 liter 4-cylinder naturally-aspirated engine makes 237hp. How are they able to make so much more? I realize that one is geared towards common commuting and the other is a full-on sports car, but I still would love to know how that whole thing is done.

What year is your golf? The VW four cylinder design dates back to the old GTI engine so you're talking about a 25 year old design that's mostly been a cost saving exercise reworked for fuel economy and drivability versus a clean sheet for a sports car.

16v versus 8, VTEC and probably injection system are the major differences right off the bat but VW has always shot itself in the knees when it came to engine performance. The switch to crossflow heads is probably the best example, they stuck with the long intake runners but wrapped it around the head so it still bakes the intake, just slightly less that hanging it directly over the exhaust. If your interested in the real specifics look up the oettinger GTI 16S, which had a better designed 16v engine than VW offered in my opinion

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Not particularly a question so much as I need an opinion on feasibility. I'm looking into stereo options for my RX7 and nothing is really going to blend in with the rest of the interior of the car. One option I'm tossing around at the moment that to me seems somewhat doable is gutting out the cassette deck and putting in something with bluetooth capability and ideally usb support in its place.

Something like this sort of fits the bill, it has pin out capability for buttons that I can tie in to the cassette deck's switches and covers the basic features. Although I'd honestly like to get bluetooth phone capability covered at the same time.
https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Module-Player-decoder-display/dp/B00KW0GASE

The big issues I see from the very small amount of research I've done is that Mazda has very little documentation for how the whole system works and its going to be difficult getting the audio to switch from the radio to whatever is in the cassette deck on demand. It's probably not going to be a problem if its audio level based and would be less of an issue if I don't go for something with any phone functions and I could get away with just putting a switch into a button, but with a phone function I'm going to need something to cut audio from the radio and let me know somebody is calling.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 7, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Motronic posted:

It's actually pretty easy to rekey most door locks. You could probably do it yourself.

is there a guide for this? my RX7's driver side is ridiculously mangled and you an unlock it with a nickel at this point.