Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
I found a place with my dream car, a 2010 Honda Fit, but it's 277k miles. Would it be worth it to buy it for $3,700? It's the only way I'd ever be able to afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

VelociBacon posted:

There's nowhere near enough information here to say yes or no and you probably yourself don't have the requisite info. Any car that cheap with that many miles on it, it almost doesn't matter what model it is, you're going to have a bunch of issues inherent to just that one vehicle from it's extensive history of repairs and stuff. A pre-purchase inspection by an unaffiliated mechanic (not the seller's friend) is mandatory for basically any purchase that isn't from someone you know, and will tell you a lot about the condition of the vehicle.

I wouldn't say a 277k mile (446k km!!!) vehicle is really worth it ever. Is that your max budget? You're likely to have to spend about the same amount on anything with that mileage within a couple years minimum. Cheap cars are actually insanely expensive, stressful to own, and disruptive to your life as they fail bit by bit.

My max budget is $5k. Haven't been able to find better cars in the range yet. I did find a 2014 Mitsubishi mirage for only a couple hundred dollars more with about 110k, but afaik they're much less reliable.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Fits are known to be pretty economical and reliable, but it still does not seem like a good deal at that price. In my market (Denver) another $1-2k will buy you something with almost half the miles; I am not big on dealers or having a car payment but I'd probably be looking at financing something in your situation.

I don't like borrowing money. Would it even be worth it after paying the interest?

Beef Eater fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 28, 2023

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
Does anyone know where I could get things similar to these but just black without the carbon fiber or patterns? I'm not big textures.

https://www.amazon.com/XmuxHai-Protector-Universal-Automotive-Scratches/dp/B0BN5D5VNR/

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Scratches-Protector-Non-Marking-Protective-Universal/dp/B09WDB6CY9/

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
The driver's side carpet of my 2010 Honda Fit has two little posts at the southern edge of a rubber mat that seems to be built in. They've got little handles on top that seem to spin freely. Does anyone know what these are for?

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

Anchors for floor mats.

Thanks.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
Do they make things to put air fresheners in if you have nowhere to hang them?

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
My rocker panels are starting to rust. They've got holes in them for the side skirt clips. Can I stop the rust by spraying fluid film up in there? I've heard you can pump used motor oil into rocker panels too but I don't have the equipment for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
What I'm thinking is

1. Sand off most of the rust
2. Power wash out the inside of the rocker panel
3. Spray a bunch of rust reformer into and onto the panel, 360 degrees from each clip opening, hit the rust on the pinch weld too
4. Fill the hole with fiberglass and sand it
5. Paint if I feel like it, but it'll be mostly covered by the side skirts anyway
6. Fill the rocker panel up with fluid film or motor oil