Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Hello thread! So I have a 2020 Chevy Trax, and during the summer when it was really hot, I had an issue where the radiator fan would stay on after the car was turned off. Didn't think anything of it initially because it was hot, but one of the times it happened, I came out to my car an hour later and it was still on. This lead to my battery dying and me needing a jump. Went to AutoZone and they tested it and said the battery was bad now, so I got a new one and the problem seemed to go away (which was weird because I had never heard of a fan staying on because of a bad battery). Fast forward to a month later, and I start the car and drive about 500 feet, and suddenly the car goes into limp mode, and I can only go 4mph. Never had that happen before and looked it up to discover what limp mode was. Bought a cheap ODB scanner from Amazon and I can't remember the code, but it was something about throttle position sensor.

Didn't know about this thread or the idea of not throwing parts at a problem at the time, so I bought a new throttle body that came pre-calbirated (according to the item page) and replaced it. Seemed to fix that problem and I haven't gotten that issue (limp mode) since.

Fast forward to a month ago: I do my first oil change ever (both on this car, and in general), change the cabin and engine air filters, and everything seems to have gone well. I park, go to sleep, get up the next day and drive about an hour to a suburb, and on the way there, the check engine light pops on, and I suddenly can't accelerate nearly as quickly as I otherwise would be able to. I can still get up to at least 65 (I wasn't in a place where it made sense to go faster) but it just took a lot longer. I get where I'm going and scan with the ODB and I get p0299 - turbo under boost. I clear the code, and I can magically accelerate normally. Couple weeks ago by that code and check engine pop again, and are cleared again, and now I'm here.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any insight into this at all. Is it possible I messed something up when I did the maintenance and repair? A coincidence and unrelated problem, possible?
Aliens and gremlins teaming up to make my life harder AGAIN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kastein posted:

Short notice but - if you have some poo poo going on with your car that you can't figure out and you're near Centralia WA, PM me for location, I'm going to be at a mutual aid wrenching day there for a local car club starting around 10:45. I think we're pretty booked up for significant repairs for the day but if you need diag help and/or to borrow tools there will be plenty of space and help available outside and possibly inside the shop.

This is free, only thing you need to buy is your own parts, several parts stores in town. Donations to pizza fund are welcome but absolutely not required.

This is cool as poo poo and also there should be more of this everywhere.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Anybody know of an online place where I could get a reasonably priced replacement hood for my car? A homeless guy literally jumped onto my hood in an attempt to extort money from me for "hitting" him, and now I have a big rear end dent. I can do the insurance thing, since I have a police report stating he did this, but I don't want my rate to go up so I'd like to diy it if I can find something that isn't insanely priced.

And I already checked all the pick n pull places, they don't have the hood for my model car, just most other parts.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Save money on a torque wrench by just adding jb weld to the threads before you tighten

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

The fuckin dealership actually did this during an oil change and then tried to say it was already like that and that I must have done it when I tried to change it myself, even though no one else had changed that cars oil but them. That's what spurred me changing my own oil for the first time and never bringing the car back to the dealership again unless it's to sell it or get a recall fixed for free. Fuckin scumbags.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Hey thread. My stupid 2020 Chevy is acting up again.

Used torque with a scanner and it looks like my "throttle" is up near 30 even when the car is off?

My radiator fan is running nonstop after the car is off. It's like 75f here today, but the car was off for like 20 minutes and the fan stayed on. This happened before but when I brought it in they said my battery was on the way out. When I got a new battery it seemed to have gone away, til now.

I replaced the throttle body after getting a p0299 (I think?) Code, and I haven't gotten that code since. But now this. Frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

VelociBacon posted:

Since it's likely a digital throttle I would look into whether there's some calibration you're supposed to have done when you replaced it.

Came pre-calbirated and I did that swap a couple months ago at this point. I tried taking out the fan relays and putting them back in and that seems to have fixed it for now? I hope my ecu isn't hosed and that I just need (a) new relay(s)