Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You need them wired to some kind of switch that will turn them off when your headlights turn on. Whether that's an automatic function or it's a manual switch that you use when you turn the headlights or not. If you go the manual route, you want a relay. If you go the automatic route (which probably involves using more parts from the newer model vehicle) it might already have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

STR posted:

Home Depot, Lowes, etc can only cut keys specifically made for their key cutters. You need a real locksmith.

They can, but they won't because of their agreement with Hillman.

Ace gave me no problems.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Alternately you could try forcing yourself into the habit of scanning the gauges once in a while.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I used the built in ones, because they looked fine and why would I spend another hundred bucks for no good reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Thanks. I figured as much from looking around. At least I can tear it apart and learn from it, good learning engine.

That's the best value you'll ever get out of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

From what I've seen Autozone and NAPA have the best warranties.

Almost all car batteries in this country come from three or four factories and get different stickers put on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm trying to get a ball joint off a control arm

i spent 15 minutes heating it with a propane torch and hit it with a pickle fork, nothing. tried direct hits on the bolt with a sledghammer, nothing. tried a pitman arm puller, broke the fuckin thing. tried a tie rod puller and broke that too.

is my only hope at this point to just take the control arm to a shop and having the drat ball joint machine pressed out or what?

There are ball joint press tools you can buy/rent. Failing that, yeah take it somewhere with a press.

Also, make sure there's not an unexpected rivet or something holding it in place. I don't know how those are constructed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

rdb posted:

It looks like there is a lot choice around that size, and not too expensive either. 235 75 15 Cooper discoverer at3’s can be had within that budget and would be my pick.

Also check the date code on your spare before you decide to use it as more than a spare.

I've got the ATP's on my Jeep, which are a little more road friendly, and quieter than whatever tires I had before that I can't remember. I've put them on many a dirt/gravel road, and they're probably my favorite of the various tires I've used. I still haven't tried Duratracs, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dash Command is pretty similar to Torque as far as what it gives the average user.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Javid posted:

Schwab informs me that 235-70-15s like mine are uncommon these days, and the cheapest set they have is like 700 bucks. RIP to the OE size on this thing.

Their suggestion was 225-75s, which measure out like so:

How's that slightly taller/skinnier tire going to affect handling this tub? Is there a better substitute non-moony size?

I would definitely shop elsewhere, for starters. Discount has more options and better prices.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That shop hosed up your brakes.

Period.

It just hasn't contributed to an accident yet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Javid posted:

My van's OE size is apparently out of style now so four generic passenger car tires for it is like $700. :argh: Or I have to deal with odometer error if I jump to the next closest size.

This is a pretty irritating problem, I feel your pain.

All I want is a 205/70-15ish tire that tracks straight and has a 5/8" whitewall for less money than $COKER$.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rock My Socks! posted:

My Civic’s bumper won’t stay in place due to an appearant design flaw. Would it be a bad idea to try a few dabs of JB Plastic weld to keep it in the right position?

There are clips on the inside that should be holding it in place. They may be broken, they may just not be connected.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you can get $500 for it, get $500 instead of literally trying to give it away.

You're not a financial advisor, are you?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

A shop looked at my car due a broken CV axle, spindle, and busted lower control arm. While in the shop, they wanted me to spend $280 for replacing the front brake pads. I asked if that brake job would include the rotors as well, they said no. I did a quick search, I think brake pads for my 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT should cost about $20 give or take depending on if I want cheap or expensive pads. I watched a short youtube video which explained the process as 1) remove the wheel 2) unbolt the caliper 3) remove the old pads 4) use a fancy tool to compress the piston 5) slather lube on the BACK side of the new pads 6) installation is reverse of removal. Next I went to Harbor Freight to check on the price of the tool to compress the piston $50. Is this tool actually necessary or could I possibly get by with just a regular C-clamp and maybe a scrap block of wood? I haven't checked on the cost of renting the tool from autozone or similar.

Rent the tool. You *can* do it without, but it's a stupid pain. I did it for years because I'm an idiot. Renting it is basically buying and returning it, so it's free in the long run.

Edit: I use the anti-squeal because I bought a small bottle of it, and it's probably enough to last my future grandchildren's lives.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

See if Toyota ever sold a kit for it. I added cruise to my '02 Focus with an impressively complete kit from the dealer parts counter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

poverty goat posted:

Will I regret buying the cheapest piece of poo poo head unit that has FM radio and bluetooth?

I've bought a couple of the $20ish head units from Walmart. They're great for installing in places/cars where they could be damaged or stolen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Most cars don't have godawful cooling systems that need bleed valves. Drive it up on some ramps or jack it up a bit to help make sure the radiator cap is the highest point in the system, then fill it up and keep filling it while it warms up and flows some water past the thermostat.

One of those adapter funnels is a worthwhile investment too, especially because they're so cheap.

I don't think I've owned a car built after 1980 that didn't have a bleeder. My favorite is on the Pentastar where the bleeder isn't even at the highest point of the block, much less the cooling system. :downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'll take the other position and say do it, but only after sticking a go pro on the side of the car facing that wheel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: I can and can't believe that was actually the problem.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Motronic posted:

I wouldn't consider a wrangler to have any more towing capacity than it did before based on that.

The problem isn't the power/drivetrain durability, it's the short wheelbase and light weight.

Pop up camper? Sure. 18'+ travel trailer? No.

This is absolutely right. Except even a pop up is questionable. Even a new Wrangler with ~300 hp and brakes that hold up if you ride them down a mountain, the tow rating is 2000 lbs because a trailer will have little trouble whipping you right off the fuckin' road.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

therobit posted:

So how big of a mistake is going down to Les Scwab for tires? My wife is brand loyal for years now but I am less and les (pun intended) satisfied with the service and I don't know enough about tires to know if they are screwing me or not. I know you are going to pay a little for the warranty and free rotations, but I'm more concerned about getting sold some crappy tires.

What should I look for in a tire for 3 seasons (we have winter tires) for a Mazda 5 (half way between a hatchback and a minivan)?

Pre-edit:

I'm looking at the tire rack website and the options are summer, winter, and all seasons. We have winter tires for November to April but we live in Portland so it rains all but like 3 months of the year, and my wife is in all sorts of stop and go on the freeways. Do I want all seasons or summer tires?

I've never owned them, but I had a coworker who'd go nowhere else. Always seemed to me that he paid top dollar for tires that would never balance, but the shop seemed to do their damnedest to give good customer service.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

dee eight posted:

Trying to help my mom with a long distance diagnosis. I can get my head under the hood later this week but want to go prepared.

'07 Ford Taurus SEL, V-6, 130k. Brand new battery, 'check charging system' warning lights up and dings at low rpms, stops warning at about 1500-2000 rpm.

My first instinct is slipping belt, but could it be alternator or something else?

Have her drive to autozone and let them test the alternator in the parking lot. They can also look for the belt slipping at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

El Kabong posted:

Car got hit and run and knocked the front passenger wheel out of alignment. For financial reasons I have to fix this on my own as best I can, so what should I look at to replace or adjust to fix a wheel that has about 10% more toe out than it's opposite side?

This is 100% impossible to answer without knowing details about the car.