Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My 1988 Ford F150 didn't have rear speakers, so I ran wires back behind the bench seat anyway and put in some 6x9" truck boxes. That would normally be OK, but they like to scoot forward against the back of the bench seat and muffle out their sound. Has anyone dealt with this before? What are my options? Strap the boxes down somehow?

I did see this replacement headliner on JC Whitney that had quad 4" speakers. That's nice, but smaller than the door speakers. That got me thinking. How hard would it be to get some custom trim pieces made for the door B pillars and hide some speakers back there? There is quite a bit of room in the corners behind the trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tommychu posted:

As a former Ford Bricknose owner (and I'm sill a major fan of them), I'll say that any solution to a problem like this that requires you to spend more than $10 is the wrong one. I'm thinking find a way to strap them down or use velcro.
Personally though if I wanted to do an audio upgrade on one of these I'd have just put good front speakers in and not bothered with rears at all.

Yeah I think you got the right idea. So does anyone have any ideas to strap down 2 speaker boxes in a carpeted corner behind a bench seat? Do I just need to get some corner brackets and screw them down?

Speaking of screws, some of the holes for my trim panel screws are stripped out. If these were holes in wood, I'd just stick in a couple toothpicks. What fixes are there for stripped out holes in sheet metal, short of getting bigger screws?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 4, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So the holes for a couple of the trim screws in my truck are stripped. What's the best way to repair a screw hole in sheet metal that's too large? Again this is a trim screw, otherwise I'd just step up a screw size.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The secondary dash power socket in my 2003 F250 doesn't work with any adapter I plug into it. Here's the weird thing though: I tested it with my multimeter and it has proper voltage. Has anyone come across this before?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

I know having coolant line handle fuel is generally a bad thing, but what about the other way around. Can I have coolant running through a fuel line without issue?

Rubber is rubber. The issue is whether if it has the woven reinforcement threads in it to handle the pressure. Fuel injection grade hose can take the high pressures of fuel injection pumps and everything under that. In fact I did that for this odd 3/8" branch off a tee that went into the throttle body on my '88 F150. The 90 degree bend in the factory molded hose wasn't too sharp and I had plenty of room to get away with straight hose. My shop didn't have 3/8" heater hose, so I got 3/8" fuel hose.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

My 2013 Impala doesn't have a bracket for the front license plate. This is the first time I've dealt with this problem. What's the best way to handle this without drilling anything?

The absolute easiest way would be if you don't live in a 2-plate state and just left it off. Without drilling though, you would be left to duck tape, 2-sided tape, epoxy, daisy chaining cable ties or sticking it inside the windshield corner.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm in Washington, so no dice.

In that case, there are a couple products out there for attaching a front license plate holder without drilling into the bumper. Most depend on attaching either though a hole in the bumper for a tow hook or on a big L bracket that mounts under the bumper somewhere. Edit: or sometimes a bracket that fits through the gap between the grill and bumper, if those are 2 different panels on your car.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 31, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Geoj posted:

Stupid electrical question -

I put Euro bumpers on my MkI Focus, and one of the features added was backup lights in the bumper itself -

Not my car, just for illustrative purposes

I want to put a set of the solid on/white - blink on-off/amber LEDs into the backup lights so they can function as both reverse lamps & turn signals.

So basically from what I can figure out I would need a changeover relay so that only one circuit or the other would illuminate the LED at any given time:

I would need to wire up the turn signal to 87, reverse signal to 87a and then 30 would go out to the reverse light. Do I need to supply it with a separate uninterrupted source into 85 & 86 or should it just send whatever voltage it receives at 87 & 87a through 30? In that case what are 85 & 86 used for?

e: or am I reading that completely wrong and 85 & 86 trigger the relay and voltage gets supplied at the 87s?

e2: OK googling this I think I figured it out. The relay's default position is 30 is linked to 87. Supply power across 85 & 86 and then 30 links to 87a. So I should be able to connect the turn signal to 87, reverse to 87a and 85, 86 to ground (or the other way around if it matters) and 30 to the lamp. Does this sound correct?

e3: turns out I need 1157 dual-circuit bulbs to make this happen and the housings I have are set up for 1156. However it seems I should be able to switch the bulb sockets to 1157, which eliminates the need for a relay further upstream since the turn signal/reverse will have separate wires all the way to the bulb socket.

You got the idea. If you got 2 color bulbs, then you need sockets with 2 connectors. Well, 3 connectors since they share a ground.

For the record, if you have any more circuitry questions, we do have an electronics megathread over in DIY. They've helped me before with wiring up relays for an actively powered fuel tank selector valve for my truck.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Geoj posted:

Does anyone know where I could obtain a M12 x 1 bolt? I bought a clearance brake master cylinder for my Focus and it didn't include a bench bleeding kit and the one I bought from O'Reilly only had one each of the metric bleeder nipples, so I have to block off the remaining ports while I bleed one of them (non-ABS master cylinder, 4 output ports.)

Couldn't find it locally and McMaster-Carr only has M12 fasteners in 1.25, 1.5 & 1.75. Seems to be impossible to find.

Barring that, any suggestions on how to block off a master cylinder port that doesn't require me buying another $10 bench bleed kit?

I used to work at a fastener company in college. M12x1 is definitely a weird size. The $10 might be your cheapest option. The only other solution I can think of would be to get a M12x1 adapter to some smaller size with a plug for that smaller size. I know O'Reillys does have a whole rack of brake fittings with each ones in tiny boxes in the back. They've let me go in the back there as a customer to find what I've needed before.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's most likely a watch battery of some kind, like a CR2032 or 2045, most drug stores have them. Once you get the battery out it should have the type of battery marked on one side.

I learned this a couple weeks ago. As far as watch batteries go, be sure to Google around with the battery size number. There are several different standards. For example, size LR44 = L1154 = AG13 = 157.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kastein posted:

The best thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from!

Alright then, how about this? Buy your watch batteries off Amazon. You can get a card of 10 of a name brand for :10bux: plus shipping. You can do all your remotes at once.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you have an aftermarket headunit, you can even skip the add-a-fuse and use something like the amplifier turn-on output from it to switch the relay on.

You mean the power antenna output? That's pretty slick. I've never thought about that before.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
1. Use a continuity test on a multimeter for the bulb. If the test shows a complete circuit, then you know that the filament is still good. If the bulb is still good but it still won't come on, then switch the multimeter over to DC volts and check out the socket. See if you get around 12 volts coming out of the socket.

You can get headlight bulbs anywhere.

2. If the back bulb works, it should pass. You could just get some red transparent tape made for temporary signal repairs from any auto parts store to pass inspection, then order a replacement lens at your leisure.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 17, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Stupid double post

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The CEL on my 1988 Ford F150 has been blinking every now and then for the past 2 weeks. My code scanner pulled code 67, which appears to be a trouble code for an automatic transmission? The problem is that my truck is a manual... Can anybody give me a hint as to what's going on? I will admit that my truck has been shifting rough lately.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister posted:

The CEL on my 1988 Ford F150 has been blinking every now and then for the past 2 weeks. My code scanner pulled code 67, which appears to be a trouble code for an automatic transmission? The problem is that my truck is a manual... Can anybody give me a hint as to what's going on? I will admit that my truck has been shifting rough lately.

Anybody? Should I just clear it and see if it comes back?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The blower motor in my 1988 Ford F150 is pretty wimpy. I've replaced the original with a new one which was just as underwhelming. Is there anything I can do to get "High" to blow faster?

Factory air with R134 conversion if it matters.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister posted:

The blower motor in my 1988 Ford F150 is pretty wimpy. I've replaced the original with a new one which was just as underwhelming. Is there anything I can do to get "High" to blow faster?

Factory air with R134 conversion if it matters.

Anyone? Am I stuck with the wimpy fan?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Raluek posted:

I don't know anything about those particular trucks, but generally "high" means feeding the motor full 12V without any attenuation or anything. So, short of replacing the blower with something else (and you'd have to do some homework on what would fit that isn't stock replacement), you'd be looking at physical problems.

Is there some kind of obstruction in the airflow? Do those have a cabin air filter? Those get plugged up. Maybe there's an air leak in the ducting?

A cabin air filter on a 80s Ford? I don't think so. Anyway, the heater box is accessible from the engine compartment. I didn't see any clogs inside the big fan hole in the box when I swapped it.

I will look into that relay idea.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

StormDrain posted:

All battery connections clean and tight?

Seconding loose battery cables. Does the radio forget its presets and the time?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So we just bought a 2015 Nissan Versa and it's time for its first oil change. Should I install a Fumoto valve in place of the original drain plug? Has anyone else used them? They seem a little gimmicky to me, but I do like a clean garage...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ozmiander posted:

You can totally get pulled over for doing the limit in poo poo weather, bro.

...if you can find an officer that wants to get out of their cruiser in said weather to write you a ticket.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Maybe you got something jammed in your brake lines just right to act like a check valve? When was the last time you got a brake fluid flush?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SLAMMYsosa posted:

I've never been a truck guy, but due to my job I'm in the market for a cheap truck, so I've been looking at old F150s, F250s and Rangers on Craigslist, because everything else is way too rich for my blood and I've never had a car payment and really don't want to start now

I see mixed things about the first generation of EFI in Ford trucks online. Is it really a nightmare, or are dads just afraid of electrical? I don't have a problem with carburetors vs fuel injection really, but I'm just curious if there's a real reason to avoid either.

Also with the F150s and F250s is my instinct to avoid the 302 in favor of the 300 or the 351w correct? Seems like it's outclassed for pulling/hauling.

And is there any reason aside from size and economy to go with a first-gen Ranger over a contemporary F150 or F250?

I drive a 1988 F150, the second year for EFI. From what I've heard, most of the problems were with the '87s that were ironed out in later models. Since I bought it, I've had to replace just about every sensor and half of the connectors, which I think is pretty reasonable for a 27 year old vehicle. After all that work, it's pretty drat solid. I would be willing to bet that all the complaints from those old farts could be solved by an hour, a can of Deoxit and another of dielectric grease to clean out all those connections. Even though it's OBD1, the computer has still been useful diagnosing problems.

I got the 302, but I can't comment on pulling since I don't use mine for that. I can say that the previous owners used it as a farm truck, so it was pulling farm equipment all over fields. Not bad considering it isn't a 4x4.

A plus over the Ranger would be that the F series was the best selling vehicle for ages, so you shouldn't have any problems finding spare parts from salvage yards.

Also, if you're looking up first generation EFI Ford trucks, keep in mind that those are old enough to need a R134 conversion, if not melting to death is your thing.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 20, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Abu Dave posted:

I'm going to ask 2 really dumb questions so i'll apologize ahead of time.

I've never done any winter driving with a pickup truck, only my explorer and sedans. With that said:

1. Is the thing I hear about sandbags in the bed a good idea? Do I just throw a bunch in there? Or is there something special I should do?

2. How do you deal with snow in the bed if you don't have a cover? Should I throw a tarp in there just shovel it out?

Sorry for dumbness.

1. If you need them or not entirely depends on how much snow you get wherever you are and if you drive like a bat out of hell or not. If you do need them however, do not just throw them in. You want the weight directly over the axle, so lay them in between the wheel wells in the bed.

2. Just leave it in there? You said you wanted more weight in there. I suppose if you don't have a bed liner, then you might want to park it facing uphill so that when snow melts, it doesn't pool in the bed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Just for the record, is the tank empty?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I've got a 2015 Nissan Versa with weird electrical problems. The brake lights work fine, but the right tail light won't come on. The bulb is fine, I tested that with my multimeter and it works just fine in the left tail light. I tested the socket with my multimeter too, and the socket doesn't even get any power for the tail light. Also in this same car, the AC likes to come on whenever the defrost does, or at least the little light on the AC button does. What gives?

I should mention that this car was a salvage. It got totaled out with only 2400 miles on the odometer when it was hit in the rear end end on the right side, the same side as the problem tail light. Whoever repaired the body work did a hell of a job. Still, "salvage" means no manufacturer warranty. Otherwise, I'd just drop this thing off at the dealership and tell them to deal with it.

Anybody got any ideas for these electrical problems?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 14, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

totalnewbie posted:

Transmissions are boxes made of magic.

Black magic.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

scuz posted:

1996 Ford Econoline 7.5L. Belt is squeaking in rhythm and it doesn't ever go away unless you spray conditioner on it. Belt appears to be in good shape, should I check the tensioner? How do I know whether it's beyond the point of doing its job?

Take the belt off and give it a close look like Krakkles said. You could also check out the pulleys while you got the belt off. Do any of them have any wobble to them?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This might be a better place to ask than the Tool thread in DIY. It's time to buy myself a birthday gift and I'd like an air compressor. I'd use it mainly for tires, an impact wrench for lugnuts and also for filling tires, maybe someday for a nailgun. Still, it would be used foremost for automotive work. What kind of capacity would I need? I'd need something that could do all 8 lugs on an F250 tire and fill it to 80 PSI.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So my '88 Ford F150 has a problem with premature ejaculation. Yes, I understand it's a problem that happens more frequently as trucks get older...

Seriously though, every now and then when I take off from a dead stop, I see the windshield washer fluid emitters squeeze off maybe like a 3 inch high stream and then stop. Since I first noticed it, I replaced the original seized pump at the reservoir with a new one, but it keeps happening. I'm not sure that it's an electric problem or what. Any ideas?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The clutch pedal is on the floor and my transmission is stuck in a forward gear on my 1988 Ford F150. Does that sound like the clutch master cylinder went out?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Very much so. Can you shift it if you shut the engine off and let everything spin down?

I just went up the street to pick it up where I parked it last night after it started acting up. Some fucker clipped and broke my side mirror. Didn't even leave a note. To be fair though, that mirror was already cracked. I've been thinking about replacing all 3 mirrors for months now since that one was cracked and the other 2 are losing their mirror coating. Time to buy myself a Christmas present!

Anyway, I was able to pick the pedal up off the floor and it stayed in place. I was able to shift it and drive it home, but I noticed that the clutch pedal was slow in returning to the up position. I'm not sure what I should replace though. The master cylinder? Slave? Both? I'm looking online at pictures of them, and I see that some master cylinders have the hose built into the master cylinder if you buy the master and slave as a kit. My stock master cylinder is like that. I guess if I buy them separate, then I need to buy the hose too, right? Also, since these cylinders are hydraulic, do I have to prime them first like a brake master cylinder?

Edit: according to my Haynes book, the hose was integrated into the master cylinder on 1987 and prior models, then were separate afterward. I probably got a leftover.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 8, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The clutch pedal in my 1988 Ford F150 is slow to come back up. Two weeks ago, I pressed it down and it stayed on the floor. I had to raise it up with my foot and it stayed. It's a hydraulic clutch, so I topped off the reservoir with the appropriate fluid and it made no difference. How do I figure out which part needs work? Is it the master cylinder, slave cylinder or the transmission itself?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Christobevii3 posted:

Does the clutch engage still at the normal point?

For now, yes, but a few weeks ago, the clutch was all the way to the floor and it was stuck in a forward gear. I couldn't shift out of it. Luckily this happened at the top of the block so I parked it and just walked home.

Motronic posted:

It's most likely one or both of the first two or one of the clutch hydraulic lines.

Start with the lines. See if you can find any leaks or cracks. Look up in the inside footwell to see if you can find any fluid pushing past the seal of the master. Check around the res to see if it may be leaking or the master itself leaking on the outer firewall. Just try to bleed it if nothing looks obvious.....a pressure bleeder is best if you can get your hands on one.

Because your trans has an internal slave (what the loving gently caress, that's infuriating) you'll want to skip the standard "replace both if one is bad" and start with the master if all else fails. Otherwise.....the trans is coming out.

There's only one line between the master and slave cylinders. I'll look in the morning. I wish I had a garage. :(

Pressure bleeder? You mean like a hand vacuum pump? Is this like bleeding brake lines? I've done that before.

And it might be time to take this thing to a transmission shop. I noticed that its seals were dripping under the truck, so the tranny needs work regardless of its cylinders.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I like turtles posted:

I live in Washington, and the 2011 ranger I just got does not have a front license plate bracket. I can jury rig it with steel zip ties like I did the last one, or I can get an OEM one and install it without drilling the bumper? This looks like it should need drilling but... I can't tell for sure. https://www.autopartscheaper.com/2008-2011-Ford-Ranger-Genuine-Front-License-Plate-p/8l5z-17a385-a.htm

Does your front bumper have the little bezel you remove for the tow hook? They make several different plate brackets that screw into those. I've also seen one or two brackets that are L-shaped. They mount to the frame under the bumper. Some of those are model specific though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So I had to open up my car doors on my 1988 Ford F150, on one side to clamp a stupid loving rivnut that just spun in its hole for the side mirror, on the other side to help convert a 9th generation door into an 8th generation door. If you're wondering the difference, they changed the mounting holes for the side mirrors. Otherwise, they're identical. My questions are about this weird shrink-wrap-looking plastic on the insides of the doors just behind the panels.

1. What is that plastic for?
2. Should I replace it? If so, how and with what?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

monsterzero posted:

1. It's to seal the door against dust/moisture/drafts.
2. On a 29yo truck? I wouldn't. If you really care, I've used heavy plastic plastic sheeting from the paint section of the hardware store before. I just duct taped it in place because I am a lazy hack.

Ah, a vapor barrier. I should've figured that you don't want to let the insulation on the inside of the door panel get all moldy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I got a leaky M5R2 manual transmission in my 1988 Ford F150. It's been sitting in my driveway for the past month and I see a dark red drop on the back bottom of it. How big of a pain in the butt is that to fix? How about a leaking power steering system? Basically, my truck leaks everywhere. So far I've fixed the fuel, coolant and oil systems, even the wiper system. I'll probably need to drop the tranny anyway. My clutch pedal is slow to come back up and it might be the concentric slave cylinder.

While I'm at it, what's the best way to clean off all the grime from all these different leaks? I've been wiping everything down with those thick blue paper towels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Just to make sure... What's the correct way to install the thermostat on my 1988 Ford F150: spring towards the engine or away from it?