Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Another tire question.

Car is a Toyota 86 and I'm looking for winter tires. Are Blizzaks still the go-to? If so, should I get WS80s or WS90s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

gently caress drum brakes.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Uthor posted:

My VW used the disc brakes for the parking brake. The piston has a thread on it so that it turns during actuation. The parking brake turns the piston, clamping the pads. It also meant that you needed to rotate the piston to get it to retract during a brake change, either with a special tool of loving around with pliers.

My wife’s Civic has these kind of rear brakes and they kick rear end. FWIW, I can use a big screwdriver to recess the pistons.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Yep and you could use any unpainted chassis bolt if you were feeling saucy.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

How did the slide pins look? I smoked a set of rear pads because P.O. had someone do a lovely brake job, so the slide pins locked up.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Brake fluid leaking from the banjo bolt. Conventional wisdom says leaking brake fluid is the caliper, but could it be the brake hose in this case?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Motronic posted:

Sure.

Does that clear things up?

Oh, that only applies to blue cars.

:|

Ok, fine. I'm sorry.

Right front caliper and brake hose(both probably original), 74k mi on the clock, pad wear is normal, but long brake pedal travel. Caliper piston boot looks good. Brake fluid at the banjo bolt and on the rubber coming from the banjo bolt--almost like whoever did the last brake job let the calipers hang by the brake hoses.

I'm fairly certain that the hose is bad, but I was hoping for other opinions since the rudimentary Internet searching I did pointed to visible brake fluid always being a bad caliper.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

They'll grovel as you walk through the door, but I wouldn't expect much haggle room.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, I tried to bring the remaining nasty old brake fluid to Auto Zone, was told they only take motor oil and tranny fluid. What the hell? I thought if they sold it to you, they had to take the used stuff back. Wouldn't take my old rotors, either, and those have scrap value.

I guess I just leave it in my basement forever?

Just leave it outside the store after close. They’ll dispose of it the next day. It’s technically hydraulic fluid, so they should take it anyway.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Fwiw, I work at an auto parts store and management has a book for how to dispose of any and all fluids in an environmental manner. Whoever was working at that store just didn't want to do the paperwork.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I don't know about tachs specifically, but here's my out-dated educated guess:

When a relay is closed under high enough voltages, you'll get a current spike referred to as "exciting current." It's been over a decade since I took a class on high power, but iirc, the voltage ramps up while the current spikes then stabilizes (assuming AC electronics, though I think you can see this with DC as well).

So my guess in how old tachs work is a signal wire connected to the distributor sends the same--possibly stepped down--current to the tach as go to the plugs which blips the tach needle.

Source: my 15 year old, unused applied electrical engineering degree.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You've pretty much got it.
I was going to explain it but this does a better job:
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...20is%20turning.

As those voltage spikes go up, the needle moves farther. The spikes are so close together that the needle doesn't have time to physically move down (drop in RPM) before another spike hits it.

Read this instead. :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Since oil changes can go for 5000 miles, did the time before oil changes get updated as well (3 months being what I remember it used to be)?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If it's your daily, get the higher (lol) lowering springs, imo.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

You might have trouble using automated car washes.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Motronic posted:

No recharging should be done without a proper set of manifold gauges. Those refill kits do not provide that. You are just blindly chucking in refrigerant without any real idea of whether the system is functioning properly and trying to divine how much is "enough" with only half of the normal information available.

With those kits, would it be valid to say there's an issue with the compressor if the refrigerant level is good or is more diagnosis needed?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

You can sometimes free a stuck starter by hitting it with a hammer. Sticker is probably for warranty nonsense is my guess.

e: The sticker is probably so you don't shatter whatever housing that vacuum hose goes into with a hammer if the starter gets stuck. :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've been living a life of bad advice.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Only negative I’ve heard is it’s like you’re sitting in a submarine.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ATTN: Chicagoland Bias

Wash your car when you get gas once a month or week depending how much you care. Definitely soon after driving on freshly salted roads. Yes, most gas station car washes are touch, but it's the price you have to pay.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Fluid film etc is good stuff.

Yes

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm putting a full HKS exhaust on my 86 and y'all can kiss my rear end. :colbert:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

2012 Honda Civic EX

I’m gathering opinions on what would be feasible to reduce road noise. This car was reviewed to be very noisy when new, but it’s rust free, paid off, and just over 110k on the clock.

One obvious thing could be to change the tires from PS A/S 3+’s to a GT tire (CrossClimate 2’s look enticing and I’d like to not pay for a set of snow tires if I don’t have to).

Would to be worth the money to have an audio shop install additional sound deadening in this car?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Tires are going to be just about the only thing, but if you're going from a non winter tie to a tie that in part is capable of winter driving, it's probably going to be louder. Remember that tires are reviewed against their peers in the same category, so a review saying that true is quiet should be interpreted as 'for a tire with snow tread on some part of it'.

Adding deadening will help but it's also adding weight, making your car heavier and giving it worse mileage. Maybe have an audio shop install a good system and just enjoy that instead!

Thank you. I’m ok with losing a few MPG since big feelings it’ll work out less than a car payment over time. I’ll probably look into the sound deadening (already changed the deck to a Kenwood Excelon and the factory Pioneer speakers are ok for now). I can’t really do subwoofers for a number of reasons.

If any tire is going to be loud, deadening the interior wheel wells might help a bit.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

2014 was after Hondas emergency redesign that was focused specifically on making it less noisy. The 2012 Civic reviewed horribly and as a step back from its predecessor so Honda refreshed it almost immediately.

This is true. An executive was fired over the release of the 9th gen Civic.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Brings me back to selling auto parts and shops would get mad about getting the wrong part because they neglected to specify trim since, “they’re all the same.”

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

melon cat posted:

edit: will probably go front sun shade + all around tint since I'm pretty sure I can't tint the windshield where I live

This is pretty much the legal way to do it anywhere. Federally, windshield tint isn't supposed to go lower than the AS1 line, but states can have a smaller limit.

Depending where you live, the cops might not care or know where the AS1 line is on your ride.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CRC make belt conditioner. Whether or not it does anything useful, I can’t say. It made my serpentine belt stop squeaking, but it was routine to apply it once a week for a month or two.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

What's the fluid pump folks here like to use for dipstick tube oil changes?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I live in a heavily salted area and I take my cars to the auto wash about once a week.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've never had a problem with lane assist when using my turn signals.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

In general, no, CV axles are not wear items. They're trying to sell you a new axle just because.

imo, the primary reason to use a dealership for service is within the car's warranty period to lessen ways to have said warranty voided.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If you have a Costco membership, their car buying service is fantastic.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I bought my Hakone through Costco. So even getting dumb poo poo is possible.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

While I enjoy having a laugh on CA for most of the absurdities...VIN inspections with the police happen in even the most reddish of states for out of state purchases.

When I took ownership of my grandpa's Oldsmobile, a sheriff's deputy had to come over and inspect the VIN because the car had Wisconsin tags and I lived in Indiana.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Besides three points across, to measure tread depth, how many times around?

About to swap snow tires for regular tires and I’m hoping to have the regular tires rotated properly.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wonderllama posted:

Lubricated torque specs are almost always different, so yes. Adding any lubricant will usually change the prevailing torque, and it's just not necessary.

See also: anti-seize on spark plugs

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DildenAnders posted:

Idk about how old you feel like going, but the first generation Matrix (basically a Corolla hatch, but wagon-like in terms of space inside) is amazing for hauling stuff around, good gas milage, even pretty fun to drive with a 5-speed and of course fairly bulletproof.

The matrix and Pontiac vibe are amazing.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

First-generation Mustang
Air-cooled VW

Arguably, you can build an entire car from the available parts alone, if you have a mind to.

I’m fairly certain someone could build a VIN-less Mustang from the Jeg’s and Summit catalogs alone.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Why doesn't anybody make a generic TPMS relearn tool, excepting GM vehicles?

The Autel TS508 does a decent job.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Toyota’s current special edition GR86 is painted like a Trueno. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

The 1989 Olds 88 Delta Royale was my favorite car I've ever had. Sure, aside from the engine and the body it was about 99% replacement parts, it sucked down gas like crazy, took forever to accelerate, and your music options were limited to fuzzy radio or the Autechre tape stuck in the stereo.

It drove well, was cheap to purchase, and repairs were cheap and easy.

Got it in 2001, drove it til 2005, new driver kept it til 2008? and passed it along. Not bad for a car built in 89.

Huge trucks and SUV's weren't as common so I was often the biggest car on the road.

I had a 1995. Comfiest comic I ever drove.