Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok so my friend* is an idiot. He put his lovely car on craigslist for $500. A guy answered the ad, came by and gave him a $150 deposit, said he would come back the next day with the rest of the money, and my friend (the idiot) gave him the title. The guy apparently comes back later, hot wires the car and just takes it. Is there anything he can actually do? Can he report it stolen if the guy has the signed title?

*actual friend and not thinly veiled "this is me" post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Was in an accident with my 2001 Corolla, had the drivers side wheel jammed in, bent the control arm, steering knuckle, various other things. Was told it would be $1200 to fix not including bodywork, so it's pretty much junked and we're obviously not fixing it. Car had ~150k miles, bunch of scratches, dings, little bit of rust, engine worked fine other than burning tons of oil, check engine light was on for an emissions thing that didn't affect it passing inspection.

How easy is it to unload on craigslist or somewhere just as a parts car (or whatever they want it for)? The car technically drives but one wheel is pointing about 25 degrees in the wrong direction, so they would have to tow it away. What could I ask for it? It was only $1600 when we bought it a few years ago. Could I get $500? How much would a junkyard pay for scrap?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So my beater car was in an accident, I don't have collision, damage, if I were to fix it, would exceed how much the car is worth (if I didn't fix the body damage at all, it would still come to at least $1100 on a car I bought for $1500). Because I drove it away from the accident, and I didn't make a claim (they are paying for the other guy's damage though), what is the status of my title? Not trying to trick anyone, I just want to know what to say about it when I sell it for parts/salvage on craigslist.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I'm trying to sell my Junker car to a guy who just wants it for parts, and then plans to junk it himself. I have the title, but won't be able to officially sign it over to him (notary/auto tags) because my GF is actually the title holder and isn't available. Is there any issue with just giving him the unsigned title? Pennsylvania. I can get the title signed, but probably not notarized.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2017

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The unsigned title is useless to him. He can't reregister it or apply for a new title until it is. It's not his car until it is signed over to him.

Ok, sure, the question is does he need to ever reregister it or apply for a new title if he's going to junk it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Junking it means tranferring the title to the junkyard, so probably yes, he has to apply for a new title. If junking it means leaving to rot on his own property, probably not.

Title holder is now available to officially transfer the title. Buyer says he doesn't really care as long as it's signed, presumably he doesn't want to pay title fees and whatnot on a junk car, and says his scrap guy will take it with the signed (not notarized title). Are there legal issues for us if we just give him the signed title? Like if the police find a dead hooker in the trunk of "our" car on the side of the road?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I'm from PA, possibly buying a used car from a private party in DE. I've read both states DMV requirements but I'm still a little confused on how it goes down with regards to registering/title transfer.

So the seller signs the title over to me, and then hands me the keys to the car. The car will at this point not have plates because the previous owner is supposed to keep them. Can I drive it the 2 hours home and then register/title it in PA the next day, or do I have to transfer the title in DE and get a temporary tag? Chances are the only times I'm going to be able to buy the car the DMVs will be closed that day. Can someone just walk me through it? Assume I am an idiot.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Motronic posted:

I would strongly recommend against what opengl did in the age of nearly every cop car having plate scanners on them now.

Let's just say theoretically this car is the same make and model and same color, but newer (slightly different body style) as a car I already own...

Elysium fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 19, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Motronic posted:

I think the only real way you're gonna get pulled over is if the plate is expired......BUT, and here's the real issue: you have no inspection stickers. And when you get pulled over for that you now have the wrong tag on the car, no reg, etc, etc.

Are you feeling lucky?

What if I call AAA and have them tow it? I get 100 miles right?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Ugh why is this so stupid and complicated, I just want to buy a car :(

I called the DE DMV, and they said they'll provide a temporary tag, but only with the bill of sale and title in hand of course, and they will be closed when I buy the car. So my legal option seems to be drive 2 hours, check the car out, give cash, get title, leave the car with the seller, drive 2 hours home. Next day while DMV is open, drive to a DE DMV, get a temporary tag, go pick up the car, and drive home.

Sort of legal option if I don't get denied: Call AAA, have them tow it 100 miles. Unload. Call AAA again, have same dude tow it 50 miles?

Anything else involves driving the car somewhere either without a plate, or with my other plate, which is even more illegal apparently.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
That's the thing is tonight I have the second person to go with me and drive the other car back, but not tomorrow during the day. So I could go to the DE DMV tomorrow and get the temporary tags, but I wouldn't be able to actually pick up the car until Saturday or Sunday maybe, so I would have to leave it with the seller. The main downside of leaving it with the seller is if he turns out to be a total scumbag and tries to sell the car to someone else without the title I guess??

To be fair the address they gave me is a really nice house in the suburbs with a large private driveway.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Since I'm sure everyone is just :f5:ing over here. The seller, without me prompting him, suggested I use his plate to drive home, and so I put the car on insurance and drove home (through some crazy rainstorms where no cops were gonna be stopping anyone anyway).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I tried to take one of my wheels off and somehow the interior threading stripped on the nut and or the lug. The lug itself is not spinning, the nut is about halfway off and spins but no longer moves forward or backward. The threads are just a circle holding it on now instead of letting it spiral off. How the gently caress do I get this thing off? I’ve basically destroyed half the nut at this point but I can’t seem to destroy it enough to get it off...

And never mind. After hours of loving with it I finally destroyed the threads enough that I could yank it off.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So my car got a big crack in the windshield from a rock or something on the highway. I asked my insurance guy how they handle this and he gave me the number of their glass people. I wanted to take it to the dealership because of the eyesight system in my 2022 outback and they weren’t on the list of shops. Anyway, they did whatever they do and they said they will cut me a check for $1400. I asked them if the check was going to Subaru or direct to me and they said to me.

I then called the Subaru dealer who said the price was $1700 for going through insurance or $950 for paying out of pocket. (Most of the price is a ludicrous upcharge on their eyesight calibration, aka pressing a button probably). So I said ok I just put it on my credit card right and it’s $950? And they were like well if insurance is cutting you a check then we have to charge $1700, and that the $950 is “cutting me a deal” if I can’t get insurance coverage. Given that they were already contacted by my insurance, do I just tell them I’m paying out of pocket or is that “insurance fraud?”