Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Hadlock posted:

This sounds like the fiery death trap kind

Not if you use a non-flammable stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sensible.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

So I got a stupid idea while chilling on probation yesterday. Doing an engine swap on an old :ussr: car that my dad used to own. It came with a neat aircooled V4 rwd setup, but sadly had the service intervals of a motorcycle due to lovely materials and machining quality.

I thought dropping in a modern-ish FWD 3-cyl might work, but thankfully there's a cutaway photo online and it seems that the axles are way too forward for any FWD transmission to reach. Does anything non-exotic come to mind that could work?

Probably not something I'd actually do but it's now bothering me :D

Motor and trans from a literbike, chain drive to axles, get someone to push you backwards out of parking spaces.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

How do you put a V8 in a Focus? Discuss:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ok I was sort of kidding but not anymore unf unf unf I love sleepers.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, nobody would gently caress with a fuckin Iron Maiden plate frame.

BRB gonna get one of these for my El Camino.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Mazda 5's are cool and all but flying 1000 miles to get one is weird, why is this one special? You should be able to find a decent Mazda 5 locally to you without any problem.

I flew over a thousand miles when I picked up my Mazda2. The heart knows what it wants.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I love my 2, drive it every day that I'm not riding or going to the hardware store in my Elco. It's sooooo fun to drive. The manual in it is really good, and yes I've done *things* to it but even in stock form it's just so happy and entertaining. The absolute pinnacle of slow car fast.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Only fire will cure that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Where does the Detroit Diesel GMC 6-71 Supercharger Blower sit on the roots style supercharger rankings? I guess it's sort of the OG industrial turned hot rod supercharger

It's designed to feed a 2 stroke 426ci at, I dunno but probably 400-2900rpm

Seems like it would be adequate to push a couple psi on a 325ci from 700-2500rpm? Being roots style you get boost starting at low rpm vs something like a centrifugal that only starts to make boost above ~2000rpm

Most superchargers run like, $3000 used

Why am I seeing the GMC 6-71 all day at, uh, $350 to $1000? Looks like a "rebuild kit" consists of $99-$119 worth of sealed bearings? What's the dealio, yo

$350 https://www.ebay.com/itm/195784951553
$1000 https://www.ebay.com/itm/195784940084

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404223935608

Forget using the the blower - replace the entire motor with a DD.

Though I may have Stockholm syndrome from living and breathing 6V53Ts for years.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Any opinions on new Colorado vs. Ranger? Life circumstances require that I get a truck again for towing and hauling dirty/awkward shaped things. 4wd not needed or desired.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

In Vegas, the move is tinting and the sun shade. Black or white doesn't matter nearly as much.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Anyone have any luck using Cars and Bids? I'm getting ready to sell my Mazda and I'm wondering if it's worth it over CL and FBM.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nah it's my happy, little, lightly massaged Mazda2. Probably stick with the locals then for now. I just want to avoid as many crazies as possible. I suppose I'll go to Cars and Bids or Bring a Trailer if I ever sell the El Camino or the 356 or something.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh, huh ok. Yes a manual. I really love the car, but with 4 others (3 running!), 2 bieks, a baby and another baby on the way, it's time to clear out a little bit. Though the 2 has been the absolute best fun to drive around town at 10/10 and not break the speed limit (too much). Once I get around to making an add I'll post it in the AI marketplace too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hah, Cars and Bids said no to listing - I sold them back and they said that they don't do "economy cars". Back to the unwashed masses with me then!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’ve got a very minor leak of ATF on my 1977 Lincoln Mark V (460 w C6 transmission) and I’m thinking rear main seal. For folks that have owned/worked on this transmission (probably a lot of you, honestly. It was in everything for a while) is this something I could do at home with jack stands, or should I bring it to a shop? I know I’ve gotta drop the trans to change the seal.

If it’s shop work, any idea how much I should budget for? Might as well start saving now.

On a C6 I accept a certain amount of leakage lol. But in any case the rear main seal would weep oil from the motor, not ATF from the trans. Or did you mean the rear transmission seal to the propshaft?

In either case, if you haven't done this before you're really want to make sure you have the right tools. If it's the propshaft seal then that's pretty easy with a seal puller once you drop the propshaft, but you'll probably want to do new u-joints while you're at it and THAT might take a bit if you don't have a press. If it's actually the motor main seal, you'll need a transmission jack and I absolutely recommend a lift for that job.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

dopesilly posted:

I'm looking for a Car or SUV not a go-kart.

Oh, ok. You should get a Miata then. Possibly a red one like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Detroit diesel

This is my pick. 12v92T is probably my favorite engine of all time. This means:

2 stroke diesel
18 liters
V12
92ci per cylinder
Supercharger integral to the engine
Also turbocharged
700 hp and 2100 ft lbs torque
Will run on mud
Dead reliable

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 15, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

They make patches specifically for that situation. The only time something isn't properly patchable is if it's in the shoulder of the tire or a torn bead or something. My guess is they're trying to rip you off, either in this single situation or they have a policy to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

We had the 6-wheel gator for a long time, and it was fine for our needs, usually. That low frame with no rear suspension was a liability sometimes though.
Dad replaced it with a much newer 4x4 gator, the one with an easier lift bed and a roof. He seemed to like it till we no longer needed it. Definitely more comfortable to drive and handled 4x4 needs better. I put it through some poo poo I'd never have taken the 6-wheeler through, mainly because suspension and clearance allowed it.

That's not a ton of help I know, but I can say for certainty the newer ones are a great improvement on the late 90s models.

Every Polaris Ranger I've used has also been good but they all seemed loud and beds were a little small and high for sprayers. I carried tanks and sprayers in them, they were just high enough to be a little awkward though.

The older 6x4 gators with the diesel were great yard trucks though. The box could hold a standard pallet, and it didn't have any problems carrying around a ton or more, especially if you put some suitcase weights on the front to help the steering. Really much more of a tractor than any of the modern side by sides.