Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hadlock posted:

For regular home car maintenance is there any reason to go any larger than this thing for a shop compressor

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/3-gallon-13-hp-110-psi-oil-free-hotdog-air-compressor-57572.html $69 harbor freight thing. Mostly to top off tires, fill the inflatable kiddie pool, impact wrench once or twice a month

My dad had a 20 gallon compressor in his Very Well Equipped Shop, but not sure if we ever used it to it's full capacity. He had an "air gun" we used to blow wood shavings on the floor, seemed to be the primary use, that and airing up tires

Looking at buying an inflator thing on amazon for the kiddie pool and $70 isn't a lot more for something I can hook up to real air tools

That might have enough juice to break something loose before recharging, but don't expect to be able to fully remove multiple nuts with that tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I used a 5-gallon compressor for a long time - it was barely sufficient for limited impact gun usage and I switched over to M18 for as many things as possible.

I would strongly recommend going with lithium-ion power tools wherever possible, and size the compressor appropriately.

Also it's been a long time since I've filled up a kiddie pool or the like but those need volume, not pressure, and small compressors don't do poo poo for volume.

Air mattress inflators are great for kiddie pools.