Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've got a 1990 Toyota Crown ~Royal Saloon~ wagon I've imported from Japan to drive around like an old grandpa here in the USA. It's equipped with a 1JZ-GE.
I've already changed the water pump, timing belt, tenisoners and various other bad bearings within that system and everything is A+++. However, I get terrible gas mileage. Come to find out the oxygen sensor situation is...messed up.

Right here is the factory diagram for this specific car, showing part 89465, 'SENSOR, OXYGEN' toward the upper left there. It's a single, unbroken wire that terminates into a connector. Like most other oxygen sensors the sensor end plugs into the exhaust before the catalytic converter.

On my crown I have a sensor plugged in there but it isn't connected to anything. To my ignorant eyes, in fact, it looks like the wrong sensor, it looks more like an exhaust sensor since this is what the bare end in my car looks like:

To me that looks suspiciously like the sensor end of the 89425, 'SENSOR, EXHAUST' part helpfully also on that diagram above as this one has a single wire and has this little rubber grommet thing with the single copper contact sticking out. Looking around I see some 'universal' sensors looking like this so it's perfectly possible that this is one of those, just not connected.
The other issue relating to this is, since the sensor isn't plugged in to anything I have to hunt around for what the sensor is supposed to plug into. Finding this information is hellaciously difficult because of language barriers, and what information there is simply goes 'use the current wiring idiot'. Weirdly I also have a tube with a single wire sticking out, in the upper left of the picture with the '???' by it. That is a single wire sticking out that looks like it was cut and has just a bit of copper on the end left to hang. This disappears into the wiring close by.

I do have this that is in-line with the distance and position of the oxygen sensor to plug in to:

This looks a lot like the other end that Supra guys with their 1JZ-GTEs plug their oxygen sensors into as illustrated in posts like these.

With mine being a 4 pin connector rather than the 3 pin the guy in that post was looking for. I have no dash lights or check engine lights (and the bulbs do all work since they light up with a key turn) just awful gas mileage which is always attributed to oxygen sensors going bad.

Am I on the right track? These sensors don't seem to be bespoke wonder parts and there shouldn't be anything special about my Crown. I found this for sale here in the US that mentions a 4 pin connector and it's for a 1JZ-GTE in the right set of years that my car is in but I can't find a picture of what the connector end looks like. Base on the one dude above bitching about the sensor lies there is an unbroken plastic tab in the center of those sensors, where as my plug end has a break in that tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Uh... I think I may have found it. Maybe. Looks like it may have been shared with the US 1989 Toyota pickup? Has the right plug on it anyway - you have to zoom way the gently caress in on the plug to really see it, but you can tell that the notch in the middle lines up, can also tell that it has a groove on each side that would line up with that plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-4056-Oxygen-Sensor/dp/B000C5WCM2

e: found a larger photo on ebay, almost positive that's the right plug. If you have a multimeter, probe the pins on the connector and see if whatever pins the 2 black wires on the Denso sensor would be for the sensor heater (should be battery voltage between them with the key on, then blue would be signal, white would be ground - below pic should be enough to figure out which pin is which, guessing it's the 2 on either side of the longer tab). Even if it's not right, it shouldn't be hard to re-pin.

This is awesome goddamn. I've already ordered the sensor (Prime :hellyeah: ) but will do as you instruct in regards to the checking the pins and probing it. I'll post back when I get it on Friday.
Thank you a million!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Uh... I think I may have found it. Maybe. Looks like it may have been shared with the US 1989 Toyota pickup? Has the right plug on it anyway - you have to zoom way the gently caress in on the plug to really see it, but you can tell that the notch in the middle lines up, can also tell that it has a groove on each side that would line up with that plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-4056-Oxygen-Sensor/dp/B000C5WCM2

e: found a larger photo on ebay, almost positive that's the right plug. If you have a multimeter, probe the pins on the connector and see if whatever pins the 2 black wires on the Denso sensor would be for the sensor heater (should be battery voltage between them with the key on, then blue would be signal, white would be ground - below pic should be enough to figure out which pin is which, guessing it's the 2 on either side of the longer tab). Even if it's not right, it shouldn't be hard to re-pin.

Right so I was doing more research and I found a picture of the OEM part:

It has a single goddamned wire so now I go back and look under the hood of the Crown again. The 4 prong plug that I'm seeing was originally taped up and out of the way, I had to unwrap an extra bit of electrical tape that was holding it to a larger loom of wire. Nowhere does anything actually say anything about this plug being used for the before-cat oxygen sensor, it just looks superficially like the OEM 1JZ-GTE 3 prong sensor that the Supra guys are always looking for. I just assumed it was what I was looking for.
Now that I see the OEM part that is specifically for my Crown has a single wire I now am wondering if the ??? wire I circled in this picture

is the actual other end of this single-wire oxygen sensor with it's connector ripped off leaving the little nub of bare wire. This is what was suggested to me in the 'What Did You Do To Your Ride Today?' thread:

Raluek posted:

Could have snagged it on something :shrug:

with the added bonus that the wires line up absolutely perfectly if I bring them together, just sans a connecting part.

The Denso part from Amazon did arrive today and does fit into the socket perfectly but when I started poking and prodding the connection on the car none of it made any sense, but that could easily be me being a very dumb boy when it comes to electrical anythings. When I look up the Denso part number I get zero mention anywhere of it ever being used in a Crown or Toyota sedan or anything at all. Essentially, I think that the ??? wire in the picture above is the actual sensor connector, the sensor that is in there is an aftermarket OEM-equivalent single-wire sensor that is supposed to connect to a plug that isn't there and is, instead, a bare wire that needs to be fixed right up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
And one is for sale in Orlando if you really want one

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kudaros posted:

I'll be picking up a new 2018 Mazda3 grand touring hatchback tomorrow. I've driven nothing but some pretty insane junk up until this point, and have only made this move because I can most definitely afford it now and while I never thought I'd be making such a move (goes against my frugality), I made a value judgement opting for some measure of clarity that (I assume) new car owners must have.

I'm not concerned so much about exterior cosmetic things (e.g., I'm not going to stress about the odd scratch), but I'm worried I've fossilized some habits regarding vehicle maintenance. Like for example going two years without an oil change. Are there any good resources for this? Are the manufacturer/dealer recommended maintenance schedules aggressive to the point of extortion? This is completely new to me, so I'd appreciate any guidance. I'm more the type of person to just buy something on craigslist and deal with it myself, to my best ability. But now the demands on my time are about to increase (in a good way), and I'd like to be able to enjoy more of life without having to hustle for everything.

Do what the manual says. Usually it's "don't beat on it for x amount of miles" followed by whatever oil change recommendation it suggests with whatever kind of oil for wherever your climate is. Sometimes it's a year between oil changes provided you use the oil that the manufacturer suggests.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eat The Rich posted:

A friend of my family gave me a used car and it's a manual transmission and I have a lot of stupid questions.

It's a 2003 Audi A4 1.8L turbo and it's a 4-cylinder.

The previous owner told that the engine has been replaced and since then it's been acting funny. I havent been able to get more details. She also said that 3rd is when it starts wobbling because that's when the turbo kicks in. It does wobble quite a bit.

I had to replace the battery earlier today. Luckily there was an auto place across the street from the 711 I was stranded at. Since I changed the battery, the wobble has gotten worse (because the battery mount is missing??).

I got it yesterday and had never driven manual before that so my Mom showed me how it works for the most part. Today, I figured out the clutch bite point and can start the car most times without stalling 20x first.

Sometimes, if I shift down, the front of the car pulls down. Is that normal? How do I not do that? I also feel like I stall way more than I should. I can idle pretty well, but the going on a green is difficult. If I'm at a red light and stopped, I try to find the bite point before the green. Is it okay to sit on the bite point at a light with my foot on the brake?

The stereo works great though.

I'm having a hard time parsing 'wobble' in automotive context. Like the car shakes uncomfortably or just the engine makes a bunch of noise?

I wouldn't worry about shifting down at all until you are comfortable with the manual transmission itself, later you can work on more journeyman-stuff like rev matching and downshifting. The car diving down (and the engine going vvVVVRRRRMMM) is as tactlessbastard says, you are engine braking. Using the mass of the engine to slow down the car because you are engaging the clutch, forcing the forward movement into the weight of your engine, slowing you down. To avoid this you revmatch, that is rev your engine (with the clutch in) to match the speed that the clutch will engage in giving you a smooth engagement. This takes practice and requires you to know whatever car you are driving because you'll do it using audio cues and 'feel' rather than looking at your RPM gauge. Kind of like touch typing, it's a skill you learn by feel.

You don't have to downshift when stopping though, you can just clutch in and brake normally. The only time I downshifted when starting with a manual was when turning corners, most cars at most speeds will want 2nd or 3rd gear when doing this, from there you can start to build up your revmatch feel.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bawfuls posted:

Any strong opinions about rubber vs polyurethane suspension bushings?

The 40 year old bushings on my Z project are obviously rotted out and need to be replaced. Urethane bushing kits are easy to find and relatively cheap, but I've read they squeak incessantly and make the ride harsh (though obviously improve handling as a trade off). Rubber kits are nearly impossible to find for this car, are more expensive, and I'd have to track down specific parts one by one.

Should I just suck it up and use the urethane?

Suck it up and use urethane. You aren't going to get in your car and go "dang these are just too harsh" because either you've been driving on lovely bushings so any new ones will be a fantastic upgrade or you haven't driven the car at all yet so you don't have an opinion yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Godholio posted:

When I swapped out urethane for rubber in my YJ I could absolutely tell the difference.

You might, but he won't in his Z project for the reasons I stated.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nyyen posted:

I've got some questions about utility vans and need to make sure I'm not being an idiot.

I'm interested in trading in my jeep wrangler for a utility van. I'm a seasonal employee with the Park Service meaning I move every 6 months, drive a ton of mile during those moves, and haul all of my stuff when I do. I can currently fit my life in the back of a wrangler, but it is rough going, the mileage sucks, and I haven't needed any of the extra offroad capability offered and the tiny size and general lack of amenities makes me dislike it more and more.

My thinking was that if I got a cheapo fleet vehicle it would be a reliable and capable vehicle that I could haul all my things and still have room to sleep in it. It would likely get better mileage than the Jeep. Parts would be plentiful and cheap. And if I was so inclined I could convert it to a 4x4 or more of an adventure van if I decided to. Additionally, I could make some extra scratch by hauling stuff in the back. I will probably have at most about 20k to play with, with no real intention to add or modify the vehicle in the first year or so.

Did I miss a thread for that stuff here? Are there any forums for this kind of thing? Does anyone know of the ups and downs in general between the tons of different work van options? And I a dumb idiot who should be looking at a different sort of vehicle entirely?

I don't have any sort of real suggestion outside of searching for 'vanlife'. There is currently a huge sort of thing where people do exactly what you are asking about, in vans. 20 grand is a ton of money to do this with as well, with that you might be even able to get one of those Quigley 4x4 conversion vans used. Or go 'exotic' and get a Toyota Hiace import, get yourself a diesel 4x4 full-size van and still have a bunch of money left over. Plenty reliable.

I also might be biased because we just picked up a Toyota LiteAce 4x4, and if I were a single person roaming the country side this would be the perfect sort of vehicle for it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nyyen posted:

I personally dislike the looks and the slight compromise to rear space. That's about it. I would prefer something with a bit more cargo space for hauling larger objects. I just see that as a way to get some more use and maybe dollars from the vehicle. I don't move people much so rear seating isn't something I really need.

I think you're right that a minivan seems like the best option for the money, but god are they boring.

Any minivan is going to be a straight space upgrade to your current Wrangler though, and I am not quite sure how there is a compromise to the rear as you can always just take those seats out/fold them in?

As an ~automobile enthusiast~ of the internet type, minivans are way cooler than Jeeps or CUVs. I don't get how a well-equipped sorta-hipsterish-vibe minivan (moms and dads think they are lame, thus they are cool) is somehow more boring than yet another 4 door wrangler being driven by a dad in a golf shirt and baseball cap or a lady with pretty hair. SUVs/CUVs are the uncool mom mobiles now, much like wagons are cool and sophisticated so too are minivans headed that way.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dennis McClaren posted:

I googled this but only found commercial application results.
What is an electrical smoke reservoir for a car? Where is it located usually? I've never heard of this.

Almost makes me feel like I'm getting punked with the "Blinker Fluid" joke.

Makes me feel like I'm getting double-punked

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Also Lexus has the punch-in-the-VIN-to-see-the-history service. ~Free~

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
1990 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon with the 1JZ-GE

Schematics and part numbers can easily be found here.

It has an erratic idle when the engine starts to warm up. When first started it idles fine, but as soon as some heat gets into the engine (around 4 minutes or so idling) it starts to awkwardly surge, sometimes enough to stall it. It still has the surging even if I press the accelerator down giving it more fuel. It does not change weather it is in gear or not. Another symptom of this is that it seems like there is much more water vapor coming out of the tailpipe during the surges, enough to leave a wet spot on the ground underneath the tailpipe. There doesn't seem to be a pattern or reason beyond the engine warming. It does not seem to get better or worse from this point on. It does not overheat, all the electricals are working, no warning lights in the dash and no leaks of any kind. There is no indication of coolant in the oil nor oil in the coolant, the coolant level stays steady.

About a month before the surging issue I had replaced the water pump, timing belt, changed the oil (10W30 as recommended in the tyte JDM owners manual) and (as a consequence of the timing belt and water pump) changed the coolant.

There was an oxygen sensor that was disconnected (just after the headers) causing the car to run rich all the time. Reconnecting this fixed the rich-all-the-time fuel thing, and about a week of driving after this the surging started happening. I replaced the fuel filter (cheap and easy) thinking that maybe now that it isn't asking for a ton of fuel all the time that a clogged up filter would cause the issue. I've got a new OEM fuel filter in there and there is zero change, still surges just like before. Since I am not a mechanic I don't have the wisdom to 'feel' what this could possibly be, and considering it's a JDM import here in the USA I can't easily look for information in English. Based on how the symptoms only start when it starts to get warm I have to assume it's some sort of throttle or temperature sensor, or maybe even some sort of coolant sensor, but again, I don't have the wisdom of working with cars for years to draw upon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bawfuls posted:

So there was one of each type in each caliper box, along with a pair of those pins that align the pads. Then in the box with the pads themselves, there were another 4 pins and 2 of each of the clips. This implies to me that each set was supposed to use one of each type of clip, but I have no idea where the second clip goes.

Also here's the first clip in the car with everything mounted up. It clearly rubs against the rotor in the middle there which seems.... wrong.

Land Cruiser?

I've got a 91 Prado that I happen to take a picture of just before I took it apart because I wanted to make sure I had it all set up correctly. Note that my hosed up clip is broken, which is why I ordered replacements.

Looking at mine that clip is on the bottom.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Large American butts

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado with the 2L-T turbo diesel 4 cyl engine, JDM.
Is it common to have two belts running in series that follow the same path? It looks to me like I have two belts that run off the crank, up to the water pump/fan, then over to the alternator. One is in front of the other and the follow the exact same path without deviation, every pulley having two grooves, one for each belt.
If I were to order replacement belts would the part number include two belts or do I have to buy two of the things?

:confused:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Enourmo posted:

It's possible your model had optional accessories available, and one or both of the belts would branch off to run those.

I already have AC and seats that say 'Turbo' on them what other accessories could I possibly need :c00l:

Dagen H posted:

Wow, I thought only Chrysler did that. You have to ask for a "matched set", for obvious reasons.

Yeah it's looking like I have to order two of them if I go aftermarket. It's fine, they are 6~ or so bucks a piece. It's just something I've never seen before and since it's JDM I figured I'd ask.

Thanks guys!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Enourmo posted:

Do you have sick 90s neon graphic stripes?

Not on the Prado no, but the Surf does

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Javid posted:

It's a gob of epoxy putty. I tore it out and did a crimp connector on the two original wire ends. I hope it doesn't contain a resistor or something.

Cut it open and see!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Our Prado: There is a slight squeak that you can hear that I thought was a pulley but as we've been driving it around town there is a squealing belt that shows up when under acceleration. I've determined is the dual-cam/waterpump/alternator belts. I've got a set of all new belts, tensioners, pulleys on the way. I suspected it was those (dual series v belts) because they are quite loose. So my first question is how in the poo poo do I slide the alternator over on it's little pivot thing to put more tension on the belts?

This picture shows that little box, says "REFER TO FIG 87-89 (PNC 88469B)". Leads here:

Which is the AC compressor location. It's difficult to see under the hood of the thing because everything is crammed, but it looks like that the little 88469B box thing is attached to this support bracket that hangs off the AC compressor that then has a super long bolt (88446-60020) that goes through the box. Which bolt am I supposed to mess with in order to adjust the alternator tension? Is it the long bolt? Is it the bolt that is connected to the alternator itself that you'd normally use to adjust every other alternator in every other engine in history?
As an aside the voltmeter in the dash says I'm getting good voltage from the alternator (in so much as the gauge says I'm in the good zone) but the alternator is not charging the battery as a few weeks will go by and the battery will need charging on a charger to bring it back.

Second question is I don't know exactly if the alternator is going bad or if the belt is slipping and whether or not the gauge is right or wrong. I mostly want to adjust some tension on the alternator to buy a bit more time before the belts get here from Japan, then I'm going to have it all apart anyway so it's mostly moot. Also would be nice to quiet the kind of embarrassing squeal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Tires are the only thing that can actually stop you too, even for just around town driving. By new decent tires. You might be surprised at how much nicer the car will ride with new rubber too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Aquapel is so much better than rainx, but this doesn't mean rainx is bad

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m going to attempt my first oil change tonight on my 2008 Prius. I’ll be in a residential parking garage so flat concrete and around 78*F. I have plenty of Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30, a Toyota filter, (presumably) OEM crush washers, and a drain pan. I do not have a filter wrench, but I’m hoping a rubber dish washing glove will give me enough grip to remove the old filter. The last oil change was done at a locally owned shop so hopefully they didn’t screw it on too tight.

I’ll be raising the front onto jack stands using the included scissor jack; I didn’t want to bother getting a floor jack just for 10k mi oil changes.

Remove drain plug, remove filter, replace both and use a new crush washer, pour in 3.5 quarts, and that should be it right?

For the filter oil the rubber lip of it, you can use the old dirty oil. When you put the new filter on (after you've greased up the rubber lip) just tighten it has hard as you can just using your hands if possible. I always do it hand-tight on everything I've ever owned at it's always perfectly fine. Besides the LiteAce but that's because it's a huge pain in the dick to even get to the filter.

thylacine posted:

Is it possible for normal a/c condensation to leak out slowly over many hours? I drove my 05 3L Duratec Escape this morning and got home around 9:00 AM, I take the dog for a walk at 5:00 pm and there is a little puddle where the a/c usually drips. It's been really humid and it rained in between those times which really confuses me more. It's 97 degrees and the dew point is 60 something at the moment.

I mean the coolant is a light gold color so I could be misplacing a coolant leak it but when I dipped a piece of paper in the puddle there was no color to it so I'm guessing it's delayed condensation ejaculation? Just doesn't seem logical.

Dip your fingers in it and rub them together, that will tell you real easily if it's just water or some sort of coolant.
It is normal for me to see a puddle underneath my cars for hours (even overnight) where I am in Florida. Humidity means the puddle can't easily evaporate.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm aware of the oil smearing tip, but the OEM Toyota filter comes pre-lubricated. I'm not sure if smearing additional oil would help, hurt, or not really matter:

The first thing I did was to see if I could nudge the filter, which I couldn't, so the oil change has been aborted for tonight. But I'm making a 1300 mile round trip this weekend so I feel like I should probably just buy a filter wrench from Walmart and change my oil before I depart.

The drain plug is supposed to be tightened to 28 lb-ft but I don't have a torque wrench. Most people say just tightening with a normal combination wrench will get the job done.

If it's pre-lubed then no worries, you do that in place of it being bare rubber. If you don't lube it then it tends to stick and you have a harder time getting the filter off the next time.

If you have a good angle on it I've had good luck with the nylon strap filter 'wrenches' in prying off old filters. Every time I get a new-to-me car from Japan the filters are always a pain in the rear end to get off. You absolutely want to change your oil before you leave on your trip.
As Enourmo says too the torque spec is meant to prevent you from loving up your oil pan by gorilla-flexin' the plug on there. Like the filter itself you only need it to not leak, not be ultra-tight.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tai-Pan posted:

Have you tried refilling it yet? There is a 90% chance that is your problem. You can just go to your local Autozone and buy a recharge kit for R-134s. You attach the hose to the low-side pressure port and let it refill the system. Those stupid cans used to be about $15 dollars but now they are $40 for some reason. Its highly probable that you have a slow leak somewhere too, but its easier to refill it every year or so than fixing it properly.

Yeah do this. I have a 91 Prado that the AC didn't work but the system was still under vacuum. Refilled it and what do you know it works perfectly now. In my case it's still an old R12 system but that doesn't matter much besides the fact that I had a lot more time for the R12 to defuse out the hoses.
Also that mechanic is a moron and should be sacked because he obviously doesn't know poo poo about AC and is hiding his ignorance.

The R134 is going up in cost because there is going to be a change over to a new refrigerant soon, turns out R134 is actually bad for the environment! Can always look into using computer duster.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I bought a can of the R-134a and a hose to go with it. I'll have to check the low pressure hose when I try it to make sure, because I can't find any information about this specific truck and whether it is 134 or the 12.

There are numerous reasons the mechanic should have been sacked years ago and I'm forced to assume he's blackmailing the owner, who also doesn't like him.

Edit: Got the refrigerant into the system. Air doesn't feel any cooler. Cleaned the ac filter which looked like it's never been touched. I only used a 12 oz can and the sticker says 1.32 pounds, surely that wouldn't make a difference? I can't tell if the air is cooler than usual or if it's just the act of air blowing that makes it cooler.

Your truck absolutely is 134 so no worries there, they stopped R12 use in new cars in 1994.

Does your compressor kick on at all? Like when you flip it on you should hear and feel the engine compensate.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is the only pulley I could find under the cab. I didn't notice one earlier when I put the refrigerant in and didn't see anything when I looked again without taking the grille off.

I'm assuming I either missed it somewhere, or the truck just doesn't have one, despite having the AC options on the dash.

If you put in refrigerant then you have to have a compressor somewhere, those connectors are only used in AC systems. Do you have a picture of where your refrigerant went in?
What you posted is an alternator, connected to the water pump and then probably connected to the crank which drives it all. The compressor (which will look like what scuz posted) might be on the other side.

If the truck has AC controls in the cab then it at least came with AC to begin with, but it's always possible that someone removed the compressor later, the AC system is wholly separate from everything else in the truck with the exception of needing a drive belt off the crank.

EDIT
Motronic's AC thread goes over what an AC system is to help you figure out if you have a compressor. It's a looped system.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Godholio posted:

Find a mechanic who isn't a dick. I wouldn't give that guy a quarter on the side of the road if he told me that.

You don't know what the problem is, and you don't have the equipment to diagnose it. Don't just start throwing parts at it.

Edit: I'm in the minority here, I guess.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I drive a 2005-built Isuzu NPR truck for work. The air conditioning has never worked in the two years I've had it. The air blows out just fine but is not cold. The mechanic we have is entirely useless and refuses to fix anyone's AC because he thinks it's a luxury. How feasible is it for me to go to a pull-a-part, or eBay, or whatever, and get it fixed myself?

It's his work truck and the mechanic is the work-truck-fixer mechanic. This isn't his personal vehicle. Thus I doubt he wants to take it in to another mechanic and pay for his work truck. Dude would just like to have working AC while he's at his job.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

vulturesrow posted:

2. My daughter's 05 Spectra is cranking but went turn over. Sounds like it almost about to catch but didn't quite get there. I know there is a variety things it could be but trying to get a sense of what I should prioritize in terms of troubleshooting. No I haven't pulled codes because I don't have my own reader.

Does it sound like normal when it's cranking? just never starts? Usually that indicates some sort of 'engine not getting fuel' thing which can be anything from a clogged fuel filter (cheap) to something more like a failed fuel pump (more expensive via labor).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Door Frame posted:

Is there any way to rent a Kei car for a day or so? I've been pining for one for years. Considering that I barely fit into my rebadged Mazda familia cabriolet, I need to find out if I can even fit into my dream cars before I start earnestly squirreling money away for one

My old FIAT and its recessed Allen wrench plug was the only car that "needed" one IMO. I still put them on all of my cars for the sake of convenience, but their utility actually being worth the price is a bit of a stretch

It depends entirely on whatever kei car you are looking at. Various trucks and vans have pretty strict height requirements, Honda Beats are pretty well-known for being quite comfortable for taller people, Suzuki Cappuccino being the next best and if you are over 5'10" and weigh north of 200 lbs you will hate the AZ-1 if you can even fit.
I'm waiting to take delivery of an AZ-1 this week to see what it's like. For reference I'm 5'10" and weigh about 155 lbs, and the Acty van I drove for a while fit me perfect, any taller and I'd have been uncomfortable. I expect the AZ-1 to be pretty similar.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Distilled water is so cheap that I just have a bunch of it around for various things, like making tea. Why not use it as needed in the cooling system of my fine automobile?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Oh god I'm seriously considering buying a $1300 '94 LS400 with 180k miles that has emissions problems. It's a really bad idea, isn't it?

Yeah no, they are among the most reliable of cars made. It was Toyota trying to sell Lexus, they poured incredible amounts of effort and money into that car. It's good and you can't go wrong with a Lexus LS.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

So uh, what exactly does this do?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Is it a thing where you can vinyl wrap grills? I've been kinda stuck on wrapping my AZ-1 instead of painting but I've got some grilly bits that I'm not sure how can be handled.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Detective Thompson posted:

Where can I go to get some valuations for my 1985 Nissan? The KBB site doesn't go back far enough, and I don't think I know anyone with a book old enough to have those prices in it, not that that would be much use in 2018.

What is it? You probably have a better chance of getting a good value in this thread vs anywhere else. An 85 is old enough that you have enthusiasts of some kind being the only ones actively looking for your car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Old Binsby posted:

So for another stupid question: that belt never once slipped, making that squeeling sound I associate with a loose V-belt. It just straight up died and tore in half at 60 mph. I don't trust any rubberized parts of the engine any longer, no matter what the PO says. He claims the distribution belt was replaced some 10.000 km ago but he has been wrong on multiple accounts now. Is it customary to replace both in one go? Can I check the age on the distribution belt proper? Any other vital, impossible to fix roadside, parts should I have checked before taking an old car like this on a 1500 km trip?

As was said, the timing belt is the 'master' belt, in that when it comes time to change the timing belt you change all of the belts. Most engines are set up that in order to get to the timing belt you have to take the other belts off anyway. For someone to go through all the trouble of doing a timing belt but not the other belts is absurd because the cost of belts is 10s of dollars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fo3 posted:

Don't trust anything plastic or rubber on old cars. Always carry a spare accessory belt - or also commonly called 'fan belt' (for water pump/alternator) in your old cars.
If the one on there wasn't fitted that long ago check belt alignment, also water pump and alternator bearings and pulleys. It could also just be it was a cheap crappy or old stock rotted belt that some previous mechanic used.

Yeah this too. When I go to do a timing belt what I really mean is all belts, the water pump and and free-spinning tensioners and bearings. Springs too if I can find them. Timing belts require getting pretty deep in the engine so you just replace those things to hedge your bets about having to get deep into it again soon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
How common is it for a car to have two oil-related intervals, where one says "Every 5k kms change the oil and every 10km change the oil and filter"?

The AZ-1's user manual shows this as the intervals and it's pretty odd to me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I wouldn't be too surprised on a new car, but this AZ-1 is a 1992. I guess it being a kei car 3cyl might have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Deteriorata posted:

That's been a recommendation going back decades on some cars. There's been discussion of it now and then through the years in the automotive press.

The consensus has been that since the filter holds a quart of old, dirty oil you're better off with a new one. You don't really save that much money and it's easy to lose track of which change you're on. Filters are cheap so go ahead and replace it every time you change the oil.

Absolutely, but that just adds to the 'I know the manual says X, but you should really be doing Y' any time someone asks a question and the answer is 'do what the manual says'.