Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Tire shopping theorycraft rubberchat, please chime in with sales pitches/advice/jeering:

quote:

I'm trying to shoe some 15x8s I picked up. I'm looking at 205/50/15 and 225/45/15 tires.
From what I've seen and read, the two *look* about the same on a 15-inch wheel, small manufacturer sidewall differences aside. 205/50s all seem to fall in the Max/Extreme Performance Summer™ pricing-category, while 225/45s corral the Track/CompetiCross™ market segment.

My considerations:

- Max Summers in 205/50 are generally about $100 less expensive per corner than the 225/45 competition tires.
- I live in central Texas, so rain/wet handling can be a concern, but snow and ice are not.
- Car is pretty light, but not particularly lowered or flushed out, so stretch is not necessary. ~250hp. Maybe 300 on non-pump gas if I do some stuff to it.
- I don't intend to track the car, but I do put whatever car I drive through it's paces on a daily and almost constant basis, so tire life particularly with respect to longevity and hot performance impress me.

incomplete list of contenders as examples of each size:

205/50:
- Dunlop Z2/Star Spec (used to have Z1 stars on my Impreza; loved 'em.)
- Nitto NT01/05
- Advan AD08
- Kumho's Ecsta XS
- etc. There's a lot more 205/50

225/45:
- Toyo R888s and R1Rs. The R1Rs got the gleam in my eye at first, but they're currently backordered everywhere.
- BFGoodrich Rivals
- Hanook Ventus RS-3s and Z214s

For as hard as I drive the car, it doesn't seem worth the extra $100/corner to go for the shorter/wider 225/45s, especially since they all look like the same fitment on a 15x8? I intend to perform some suspension and bodywork in the future when power goals are higher, but tires are where car talks to road, and I have 15x8s to do that for now while it's mild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Is there an AI discord or are we adults

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

CarForumPoster posted:

Has anyone replaced the slider on a window regulator like the design below? My wifes 2010 insight window regulator popped out of the track that clamps the glass. It appears its a ball joint in a little white plastic follower, shown below in red. I can likely remove one bolt on the glass clamping part and slide in a new follower.

A replacement regulator is $80 from rockauto but I figured this looked like a job where 3D printing might actually be much easier as I bet removing that window regulator is a bitch. Anyone attempted something similar? Any tips?

Regulators aren't *that* bad to change, but be careful with the interior plastics when removing and be sure to use plenty of tape to keep the window glass held up while you work.