Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

- Want high MPG
- Don't care much about storage
- Plan for short commutes but may drive the car cross country when I get a new job
- Don't have a family
- Basic transportation is fine
- Spending $4,000 to $6,500 USED for less than 100,000 miles

Prius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Would an 02 Accord with the V6 have the exploding transmission syndrome? Helping a coworker buy a car and I've found a clean, one owner Accord with maintenance records.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Enourmo posted:

If it's an automatic then yeah that's the year range and I believe they had issues throughout the generation.

If it's a unicorn manual transmission then those are not affected iirc.

Yeah I've done some digging and it seems like it wouldn't be a great choice considering her last car was in the shop for transmission work for ages. No manual on the V6 IIRC, which is unfortunate.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Am I overthinking seeing paper tags on a car that is for sale from a private seller in Texas? You only get the paper tags when you're waiting on a permanent plate, so it just seems odd that if you're selling the car, you don't have a real plate.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

You get a PPI? Can you physically inspect the title? Does the name match the sellers ID?

Yeah I'm helping a friend and telling them to do this, but seems weird to see in the pictures, and makes me want to avoid that car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Go to check out a car today and just like magic the cosmetic damage turns into the reinforcement bar being bent to poo poo and the SRS airbag light on. loving CL sellers.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

I'm not poking at any cheapskatedness. I'm pointing out that the Cherokee is dead simple, cheap, and has a motor that will be the last thing running after the bombs fall.

I tried to get someone looking for a cheap ride into a Cherokee. They weren't having it. Sad times. :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

cephalopods posted:

It was a wholly regrettable decision anyway. Six months of being beeped at every time I had the audacity to do things like:
  • make an unprotected left
  • make a protected left, in a 45mph zone
  • stop at red lights

It just detected any 10mph speed drop within its polling interval, which was like 3-5 seconds. Six months of getting into a shouting match with my car every third time I brake and all it saved me was ~$20 per six-month contract.
And the hacking thing yeah, but there are easier ways to track and/or surreptitiously kill me.

How was it beeping at you for a left? There is no tracking for lateral movement or acceleration.

It's 7mph in one second, btw.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

cephalopods posted:

I often brake for corners.
Lefts are a little more urgent because I'm either crossing traffic or trying to catch the scant few seconds of green arrow. Or I'm stopping quick because the arrow went red during my approach. 40 to 0 in the length of a turning lane is plenty to set the thing off.
Being 7mph instead of 10 makes it even touchier than I thought.

7 in a second isn't touchier than 10 in 3-5 seconds, no.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Couldn't that just be the regular, non hybrid battery being replaced?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is buying used car from a city a big no no even if it has low miles? Like 40,000?

What color is it?

Serious response though - why would it matter where you bought it from? Look for he same thing you would anywhere - service records, carfax/autocheck and a PPI.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it's the best used car buying advice. You're conducting an interview with the owner of the car. It's often very clear when you're dealing with someone who takes care of their poo poo, or someone who treated it as a disposable appliance.

I think you're looking at the right vehicles, you just need to get out there and look/drive some cars. You will know when you have the right one.

One of my favorite used card buying experiences is the guy who said a car had cosmetic damage only. Get there - the front reinforcement bar is entirely crushed in, the frame horns are bent inward and the SRS light is on. He seemed to think these items were only cosmetic issues. I told him that if he was to get into an accident the safety of that vehicle is severely compromised but he didn't seem to mind at all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

scuz posted:

How do I shop for new wheels and tires? At what point does the diameter of the wheels start affecting things like ABS sensors and speedo readings? I want wider wheels that will fit my Golf but haven't a clue where to start :ohdear:

This is a good site. Pop in your current tire size and you can see what some other options would do with your speedo. At the bottom you can change the wheel size.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd do exactly that. You're going to rack up some serious mileage and the roads aren't going to be kind, so might as well go for something with a reliable engine and trans and let everything else fall apart.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Uthor posted:

I'm shocked this wasn't suggested.

Buy a beater baja bug and just spend the difference on gas.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That seems really inconvenient as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yes. Often times there is an impact absorber made of styrofoam that can crack. Even if the plastic doesn't appear to be damaged, it often has small spiderweb cracks on it. If there is any textured plastic, it isn't repairable and has to be replaced to bring it back to pre loss condition.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Where'd you get that number? Elon Musk's twitter is the first place i went to, 325k is the number i see and that's from a few days ago.

Just wondering what my realistic chance of getting that 7500 tax credit is.

Considering how many cars Tesla has made to date and how many preorders there are, coupled with the frequent delays, probably next to none.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd start with the terminal replacement. Electrical issues can take on a host of issues and if you have an electrical power steering unit, entirely possible.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It's probably about right. Hour or so repair but you have to take off the bumper cover, refinish it, reprint it, reinstall it. A non dealer shop may be a little less but probably not too much different.

You can report it to your insurance but it'll be at fault and probably raise your premiums more in the long run.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dog Jones posted:

The labor estimates on this one invoice are for like 12 hours of work, so this is definitely bullshit then?

Without seeing the pics it's hard to say. Post the estimate.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did you let it dry? You'd want to remove it immediately after painting. Multiple coats would be a problem.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Since cyclists don't have insurance, how does that work? Your insurance just contacts him and says "hey, pay up?"

Almost exactly this. In some states they can suspend driver licenses, credit hits, etc.

In smaller debt situations like this usually they'll sell the debt to a collector for a percentage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Even then, insurance companies are lucky to make 4 or 5 cents on a dollar. Many of them don't actually turn a profit on car insurance, making it up on home insurance or investments.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

Not sure if I'm supposed to feel bad about that.

I don't.

Nah, don't feel bad. Business is business. People just think that insurance companies make hand over fist and its almost never the case.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geoj posted:

I'd check with a paintless dent repair guy first, it's not too big and the paint wasn't damaged from what's visible in the picture.

Just Google "[your city] paintless dent repair." If they can fix it it will be much cheaper than a traditional bodyshop.

PDR right on the edge of the metal is going to be tough. I'd agree that would be the first route to check into, but don't be surprised if they all turn you away. The edge of a metal body panel is seriously tough to work on and recreate the line without breaking the paint from a PDR perspective.

If you can't PDR it, probably 3 hours repair. $800ish all in I would wager.

Siffl posted:

Hi everyone,

I'd post this in the legal thread, but I can't seem to find it. Let me start by saying that this all would have been avoidable if I had just done my homework. I was young, dumb and trusting. Yesterday I went out car shopping and to see how much I'd get for my trade in, and I was informed that my car had structural damage and it's value was automatically halved. This was news to me. The dealer I bought the car from told me that the car had a clean title and had passed all the inspections. I was informed that since it was unannounced I might be able to get the original dealer to buy back the car for full price, or seek legal action if that falls through. Before I go through the effort of finding a lawyer, I thought that I should ask here.

Things of possible importance:
I'm located in Oregon, Multnomah county if it matters.
I bought the car just under 4 years ago.
When I purchased the car, I was told that it had a clean title and passed inspection. The title itself doesn't have any brands on it.
Looking at the purchase agreement, it says that the car is sold as-is.

Let me know if I you have any other questions. Thanks.

*edit* I have two different reports saying that the auction house the dealer bought the car from announced that the car had structural damage.

Structural damage doesn't have anything to do with your title. If the cars damage wasn't deemed enough to total it, then the repairs are done and the clean title is still in effect.

This is really a case of buyer beware. If you had a document saying the car had no damage, then you might have a case, but I can't see how buying a presumably as is car has any recourse to pursue for damages. At the end of the day it's on the buyer to confirm the vehicle is in a satisfactory enough condition for them to purchase.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why would you give that place any money?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Trombone cleaner might work depending on how short the drains are

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Well, hopefully those aren't big enough to void the repair.

As for your original question of talking to the dealer, you can always try, but I imagine you not reporting it until it was off the lot and in your possession will give you a steep uphill battle trying to prove it was like that when you bought it.

I'd talk to your insurance.

Telling them what exactly? The car you bought had pre existing damage that you want them to fix? Good luck.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Father Jack posted:

I got a set of 4 195/55V15 CrossClimates and kept the best of the cheap but newish 185s as spare in the end. Thanks for the advice folks.

On a related note, anyone have a recommendation for a compressor that runs from the cigarette lighter socket and has an accurate pressure gauge? I'm in the UK so I'd need something I can order from amazon or such, rather than going to a US store to buy it.

I've had this thing for awhile and it works off 12v and has a regular US plug. Digital gauge that goes in .5 PSI increments, can also inflate balls, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-Electric-Compressor-Portable-Inflator/dp/B00KK5RINC

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I've returned rentals caked in mud up to and including the door glass, you'll be fine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I mean, the value of your car is the value of your car. It should be adequate to buy a 2000 Honda Civic based on what comparable vehicles are selling for. Probably not a huge market out there for them, so it may be hard to find a comparable car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wait I'm dumb nm

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does your state have a form the seller sends in when they sell a car? Texas has something similar to protect sellers in situations like this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Having owned a ford DCT for the last 3 years, don't buy one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It's repairable. Probably around 1k to 1.2k.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Are pilot super sports by far the best summer performance tire and is there a close second? I ask because they don't make them in my oem size (215/45r18). I can potentially move to 224/40r18, but I'd prefer to stay oem sizing for comfort and the ability to use the spare without loving my poo poo up. 2008 speed 3, oem wheels, 18x7.

What are you intending to do with them? PSS are great tires, but if you're just running them on the road, you probably don't need anything that aggressive, and you'll chew through them quick.

If you want a solid summer tire, I've run the Conti ExtremeContact DW on several cars and been very happy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No, you have to use nitrogen. Using air in one tire only will result in severe reductions in handling.

Of course it's fine

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you don't know the process it's spectacularly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Grab a rock and throw it at the windshield?

Hope you like insurance fraud.