Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Motronic posted:

It's raspberry milkshake and it's not an overflow.
There is a transmission cooler IN the regular radiator. It rots and ATF is pushed into the coolant loop when it running. Then you turn it off and the pressurized coolant makes it's way into the transmission cooler loop. This kills the transmission in short order.
So if it has raspberry milkshake it needs a trans and radiator. There is no need to replace the motor.

If all seems well with this truck just make sure the timing belts and rollers are recent or replace them. Also get an external trans cooler and attach it, and "loop" the stock trans cooler in the radiator (just run a hose from the outlet to the inlet) so it doesn't leak coolant when it eventually rots through.

LeeMajors posted:

Hammered the brackets so they don't interfere with anything, reroute the transmission lines to the cooler and then run a loop from the old nipples on the radiator so if it does corrode you won't lose all your coolant. I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined, and I knocked it out in about 3hrs. That's probably on the long side. Hardest part was removing old hoses from the steel transmission lines--they are tucked over your lower control arm.

some texas redneck posted:

Did the owner tell you this had happened? The vast majority of car owners will have no idea this has happened until the transmission starts acting up. And no, there really won't be any way to tell easily, the only indication would be a brand new radiator, or brand new transmission cooler in front of it. If the coolant has been changed on schedule, it's possible it's on the original radiator, and never had the pink milkshake. The transmissions don't last very long after drinking a strawberry milkshake, for what it's worth.

Also, even if it hasn't happened, at 250k, unless it's all highway miles, the transmission is likely getting pretty tired. I'd keep enough saved up for a used transmission either way. As long as it's not the old 3.0 V6, I'd probably buy it (avoid the 3.0 at all costs - all the power of the 4 cylinder, with the mileage of a V8, and an appetite for head gaskets that makes Subarus with massive turbos jealous - the 3.0 was replaced with a much better 3.4 V6 late in the 1995 model year). Expect plenty of oil leaks no matter what engine it has.

If it's old enough to be a 4 cylinder, that engine will still be running long after everyone on this forum is dead, as long as the timing chain guides get replaced every decade. I've never experienced the 3.4 in person, but if it's anything like most Toyota engines (barring the 3.0's appetite for head gaskets, and the 22RE's appetite for timing chain guides), it'll be pissing oil everywhere for most of its life, but will run forever with just basic maintenance.

:worship: thank you each for this wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Any websites/quality forums with common repair issues for used cars?

http://repairpal.com
http://edmunds.com/

Mainly considering Toyota Corolla, 4runner, Scion XA, Honda Civic.