Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Hi guys. Hopefully this isn't too stupid a question, here goes.

My 2007 Dodge Charger SXT (3.5L RWD) has been leaking oil for some time. The threads on my oil pan are apparently stripped from over tightening the plug during an oil change at some point over the years. I've had an oversized plug put in there but that's not doing much for it anymore, so I've decided maybe it's just time to replace the oil pan itself.

The dealership a long time ago the oil pan was like a $600 part, so I was hoping maybe I could get one cheaper at a junkyard. Now onto the question at hand..

I know that the Charger shares the same chassis as a bunch of Chrysler vehicles of that era. If I don't have any luck finding the oil pan from a Charger, would one from a Magnum or a 300 work? Just trying to expand my options a little bit and hopefully avoid paying Dodge all that money.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

^^That was the first place I looked too and I was disappointed that they didn't have it. I'd feel better ordering it from them than from the guy on eBay, but $200 shipped isn't too bad I guess. Cheaper than I thought it'd be.

Raluek posted:

Looks like they're $200ish new on eBay, and $100ish used from various junkyards near me on car-part.com. I'd avoid any pick-n-pull type junkyards; they punch the oil pan to drain it quicker. Plus, they wouldn't have anything that new in there anyway.

E: To actually answer your question, I don't know if the oil pan is the same across multiple vehicles. Depends on where crossmembers are, and that sort of thing. But, according to that eBay ad, it only "fits" Chargers and Magnums '06-'07.

I hadn't even thought to check eBay, that's interesting. Something like this looks like it's exactly what I need.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321212542961?nav=SEARCH

I checked sites like rockauto.com but they didn't have the part listed, which lead me to believe it might've been a dealer only part.

I'd just be worried about ordering it from eBay and it not being the correct part. A pick-n-pull junkyard was probably what I was looking at too, I figured that even on a totalled car that the oil pan might still be good but it's always better to buy new I suppose.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the input.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 11, 2015

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I have an '07 Dodge Charger 3.5L with about 90,000 miles on it that's been acting up lately.

It started about two weeks ago when I was coming out of a restaurant with some take-out. Car wouldn't start. All my auxiliary power worked, radio, headlights, interior lights, dashboard, A/C, but turning the key just gave me a click and a sound that I can't put into text, but it wouldn't start.

Dad comes by, gives me a jump, and I'm good for about a week until it happened again. Got another jump, and was good again until today. Old man came through, gave me another jump (after a guy in his Challenger tried to jump me and failed) and we took it down to Advanced Auto, where I had bought a new battery less than a year ago.

They tested it and it was actually over charged. If the battery is fine, and the starter is okay, does that pretty much narrow it down to the alternator? Or is there something else I can do to truly figure out why it's acting up?

Thanks guys.

Edit: the mechanic that usually helps me out came by today and said it wasn't the alternator because the car didn't shut off when I had it running and he pulled off the negative terminal.

Advanced Auto won't replace the battery because it's not "bad" by their tests, though it seems to be leaving me up poo poo creek about once a week.

Time to take it to a garage and see what happens? I imagine it'd be difficult to diagnose without being able to replicate the problem. This poo poo just happens randomly.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 17, 2015

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Pertinent information:

2007 Dodge Charger SXT (3.55L V6)
91900 miles

I took my car to a service station for a state inspection, failed for front upper ball joints and the parking brake. Guy said he'd pass me if I got the ball joints done and quoted me a decent price so I set up an appointment for today. Took the car up, went and picked it up later and immediately noticed this awful noise that I can't really identify.

It sounds like metal clunking around, like thuds and stuff. It happens like, all the time but especially when the road isn't so smooth, or when going uphill, when I go over a dip in the road, and holy poo poo train tracks. I can feel it too, its right around my right foot, where the pedals are. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front center of the vehicle. It was definitely not doing it before I had the work done.

So my questions:

A) Any idea what this noise could be?
B) Is it safe to drive? It sounds like it's about to fall apart down there.
C) How should I go about this with the service station? Have another shop look at it? Call the original shop up and see what they'll do?

Thanks guys. I've googled but it seems like a tough thing to search for when I'm not even really sure how to describe it.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

8ender posted:

Take it back to the service centre and tell them about this.

I was gonna call them first but yeah this is definitely part of my plan. I hope they're decent about it and at least look at it. In fact I hope I can convince one of them to hop in the car and go down the street with me. The sound loves to repeat itself.

I drove a friend home from work tonight, and I also drove him home Tuesday night. He's got a suspended license. Anyway he could hear it and said it was kinda giving him goosebumps and that it definitely wasn't like that on Tuesday or any other day prior to that.

Ughh.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Santheb posted:

Pertinent information:

2007 Dodge Charger SXT (3.55L V6)
91900 miles

This ended up being a sway bar that they apparently didn't tighten well. Barely at all, it seemed like.

Took it back up there first thing this morning and they stuck it up on the lift and fixed it up. All good now but driving it yesterday was scary, feeling like it was about to fall apart at any moment.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

My 2007 Dodge Charger with 114k miles on it had an issue today and I’m just trying to see what I’m looking at here, hopefully just the battery.

So I put the key in the ignition, blow past the accessory and straight to start. Except it didn’t. Dashboard lights and interior lights would flash, CD player tries to eject whatever was in it, but it wouldn’t start. About five minutes later it started, but by then I’d abandoned my plan of going anywhere so I let it run for about five minutes and shut it off. Wouldn’t start again. But when I went to start it I did hear clicks coming from the hood.

Dead battery?

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

If it did some funky poo poo, but didn't start, and then five minutes later it did, check your battery connections and ground cable.

I went to do this and while I was down there figured I’d disconnect the ground while I was there because I’m gonna have to take this thing out one way or another eventually and well the clamp sort of disintegrated when I went to take it off the terminal.

It’s time to call in the big guns *calls dad*

Edit: ruh roh. Took the battery to AAP and they hooked it up to a reader. Came back good, here are the numbers.

12.41v

900 rated/843 CCA measured. Temperature 74 F.

Really hoping it’s the corroded clamp, got a new top post and some wire cutters and hoping for the best. Ugh please don’t be anything worse.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

STR posted:

Just replace the whole cable - the corrosion will run way past what you can strip back to connect a new terminal (though absolutely do just the clamp for now to keep it running).

If I remember right, the ground connects to the body close to the battery, then continues to the engine block on the passenger side somewhere. You can get 2 separate cables and connect them to the same bolt where they attach to the body, if it's easier that way.

Resting voltage is a little low, but that battery is drat healthy if it's putting out those kind of amps

Replaced the clamp and she fired right up three times in a row, no struggling. Phew! And you’re right, the ground runs about an inch and a half to the body and through the passenger side.

Thanks guys!