Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Stupid questions on Moog repair parts for my 87 B2000.

A couple of tie rod ends I have from Moog are from their "problem solver" line and came with a grease fitting in the baggie with the castle nut and cotter pin. Are these pre-greased or do I need to install the fitting and grease it myself? And for the other related parts (the opposite tie rod ends and the pittmann arms) that aren't "problem solver" -- those are already greased and sealed, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

kastein posted:

If they include a grease zerk and a hole to screw it into, you need to screw it in and fill it with grease at least once, and preferably regularly. If not, fill it with grease once and then put a threaded plug in instead of the zerk, if you leave the hole wide open it'll quickly fill with road debris and water and/or salt and ruin the new joint.
Thanks. So in that case I'll need a grease gun and grease of some sort. What should I be looking at that would be appropriate for this?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

kastein posted:

There is no such thing as a cheap grease gun, or even a medium price grease gun, that isn't infuriating to try and get bled and then keep working, but it'll get you through at least half a TRE fill before it stops pumping grease and makes you want to whoop it into the dumpster.

Or install it, install the grease zerk, go to valvoline instant oil change (or probably most other chain quicklubes, but that's the one I worked at and I know their services and when they were busy) at lunch hour on a sunday with a six pack and ask em to grease the steering/suspension grease zerks. Probably don't even need the six pack if there's a VIOC previous customer barcode sticker anywhere on the vehicle.
Yeah I remember having seen plenty of posts about cheapie grease guns being infuriating. I think I will give it a shot just for the experience, but I'm still not sure exactly what grease I should be using for this.

Also will the zerk need any kind of cover once everything is finished?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Okay, HF grease gun and grease has been acquired. Now...was grease supposed to start coming out of the boot when the joint was full? Because that kinda left me :stare:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
oh thank god.

(and thank you)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
(another) 87 Mazda B2000 question:

I want to swap out my shocks since god knows how old they are, probably starting with the front pair. Looking at this video it seems straight forward but do I need to worry about the control arm wanting to move downward as the old shock is removed like when replacing stabilizer bar end links?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUrTvupmDP0

Since I have to do the end links anyways what do you use to keep the control arm from pushing downward, one those coil spring compressors?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

InitialDave posted:

When you say the control arm moving down "like when doing end links", are you jacking up one side at a time? Because that's not such an issue for the damper, but makes your life artificially difficult for stuff relating to the anti-roll bar, as the two sides will fight each other to try and level the suspension. You can much about with trying to restrain the suspension movement somehow, but it's easier to do as Slavvy said and use the jack if you need to, or you may even find it unnecessary if you have both wheels off the ground.
I'll have both wheels off the ground when I do it since it's already up on stands for other work.

Slavvy posted:

No. The arm is already lowered as far as it can go, your shock isn't what stops it drooping further. If I'm wrong it is not remotely a big deal, just lift it with your jack.
yay.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
87 Mazda B2000

I'm replacing the inner and outer tie rod ends. I didn't notice in my Haynes manual if the stud needed to be centered properly before the nuts are tightened down or if I could just eyeball it. Anyone know the answer?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Going to post this again since it looks like it got lost at the very end of the last page.

Parts Kit posted:

87 Mazda B2000

I'm replacing the inner and outer tie rod ends. I didn't notice in my Haynes manual if the stud needed to be centered properly before the nuts are tightened down or if I could just eyeball it. Anyone know the answer?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Raluek posted:

I think he's asking if centering the sleeve over the two tie rod ends is critical. It's not, but you should do what you can to get them fairly close. When I did mine I just spun both sides into the sleeve a certain number of turns, then installed it, and adjusted its length once it was on the car. Then take it to get aligned!
Yep, that's it. On mine it's a threaded stud between the inner and outer tie rod ends instead of a sleeve. So thanks to you and Memento. Gonna finally get this poo poo put back together today! :)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I want to paint my wheels on the 87 B2000 since they are old ugly condition chrome dealies, but I am lazy and do not wish to either remove the tires from the wheels nor do the thing with a bajillion 3x5 note cards. Since the tires are old as poo poo and will need to be replaced in the next year anyways is there any reason why I shouldn't just go ahead and scrub the wheels down and paint it as is? Looking ugly until this set is replaced is no big deal, making trouble for whoever gets to do the next tire swap would be a problem.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
No it's just kind of an :effort: thing to go through for old crappy tires that will be replaced soonish on a beat rear end truck. If it's not going to cause someone at a tire shop problems or create some safety issue I'm oblivious of I don't think it's worth the effort to do the index card thing.

If I already had new tires mounted it wouldn't be a question, I'd just suck it up. But I don't so I just want to make sure of the above.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Ran across this "electric supercharger" on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Intak...b2e8017&vxp=mtr

Do these things actually do anything other than cost money? I'm thinking it might be funny to rig up something similar but way way cheaper on my not-even-90hp 87 Mazda B2000, assuming they do anything.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

InitialDave posted:

Yes, they also add an obstruction to the intake system.
Just remembered to check these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8

Haha, so yeah, crap. But the twin leaf blower was pretty funny, I think that'd actually be appropriate for the truck. :xd:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Geoj posted:

Pretty much any car system that purports to create way more energy than it consumes is suspect - you can't make a shitload of power from a relatively low-draw electric motor.
Yeah. :shobon:

Really the best thing for the truck would be to replace the horrible vacuum driven mess of a carb with a Weber. Maybe the distributor too since I think that has a vacuum advance as well. :rolleyes:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

PaintVagrant posted:

Civic Si 2007

My AC works fine, blows cold air for about 15 minutes of running. It then stops blowing cold air. If I turn it off for a while, it will turn back on and then run about 15 minutes again before the compressor turns off again.

Haven't really had time to run all the various diagnostics that the AC megathread suggests. I was taking it into a tire shop for an alignment and I had them check it out. According to them, the relay is good, pressure switch is good, and refrigerant levels are good. They said the compressor has a "short" which is causing it to intermittently turn off, and needs to be replaced for the low low price of about 1000 bux.
[etc]
Here's an additional thing to try, the HVAC actually has a built in diagnostic check you can do yourself. Also FYI for some reason that site doesn't work entirely right in not-IE browsers.
http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/11/SNB6E11K73300000000BBAT00.html

Also check your fuse and relay for the compressor clutch.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Has anyone here tried making a car computer / media center with a raspberry pi as the main bit? I was mulling that over the other day.

It seems some people have already done this too.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Touch-Screen-Car-Computer/

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Cthulhuite posted:

I've had a look at it myself in the past, and after seeing that instructable and the mess he made of the dash (It looks like the screen was just taped to some plastic he glued in there) I'd suggest you purchase a HDMI-enabled touchscreen screen that fits into a DIN slot, like this one. As the Raspberry Pi has a HDMI port you can just plug it straight in. Then it's just a matter of installing your preferred operating system and apps. There are countless options there, it all depends on your preference, but here's a couple of suggestions for Car-Specific software installs. Dashwerks or Headunit would probably be the best for Linux-based solutions.
Woof, that's too much for me. The plus side is I have access to some cnc stuff so I should be able to make a decent looking mount instead of gluing/taping it in. Thanks for the info.

Safety Dance posted:

We've got a Raspberry Pi at the hackerspace that boots automatically and displays information for the bus stop outside. It works pretty well. All you'd need is a small touchscreen monitor, an aux jack for your stereo, and an SD card with your favorite flavor of linux on it.

Don't cheap out on the SD card, because the RPI doesn't have any internal storage. If you can find one, get a microSD card and a low profile SD adaptor designed for the RPI, so you don't have anything sticking out the side.
Yeah I was going to get a huge SD card. Does the RPI have any issues with just being shut off (and requiring some kind of shutdown procedure) or is it okay to just connect it to accessory power (most likely the old stereo circuit for ease) and go from there?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Safety Dance posted:

As long as you're not actively writing to disk, you should be able to just cut power no problem.
gently caress yeah. Thanks!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Swapping a stereo is pretty dang easy. If you google your make/model/year you should find instructions on places like ehow and instructables. Also try youtube, though the videos will likely be of lovely quality. The only thing that jumps out at me is I think part of the original dash will have to be replaced with something with a single or dual DIN slot since from my mom's Taurus of that time period I think they were making the everything custom set up for the ford factory stuff instead of a DIN slot setup. That shouldn't be too bad, for instance a replacement dash bit for my 06 Civic was something like $60 from amazon and it was a pretty dang big piece.

For what it's worth on my 04 Wrangler the sales guy at Best Buy quoted me something like $60 parts/labor on top of whatever stereo I would buy from them before I looked it up and decided to get something off amazon and do the job myself. If you literally just want a new not crazy fancy one swapped in and don't want anything else those sound absurd to me. At least assuming the $210 one is just labor that is, if it's the whole thing it might be ok once you factor in the dash stuff and a basic ~$100 stereo.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I have no idea if there is a mirror button standard but if so there's always the nearest auto parts store.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
My sis has had an 01 Escape for at least a good 10 years now. It's not an amazing vehicle but it works well. Only thing is there have been several recalls related to those vehicles in that time frame so make sure to do your homework.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
2002 Ford Escape, v6 engine: engine light came on, code indicates one of the upstream 02 sensors is bad. Local chains want $45 per sensor for what is $25 per on Rockauto or Amazon. Would it be risky to the engine to operate it as is while the parts come in or would lovely gas mileage be the only concern? We're talking a week, tops.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Astonishing Wang posted:

You'll be fine, just make sure you get a sensor that is at least as good as the OEM. I used a bosch sensor in my jeep and it didn't fix it - put in the NTK sensor and all was well.
Gotcha, ordered a NTK set. Thanks.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Here's a stupid question: what's a good way to remove thoroughly melted trash bags from a pickup bed? At least I think that's what's there. poo poo's been there since some time before I bought it and the needle scaler I tried today didn't do much. It was pretty brittle in the winter but not in the summer heat today, hopefully I don't have to wait until winter to not drive myself nuts removing the poo poo.

Also I'm repainting when I'm done so paint damage is not a concern here.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Arriviste posted:

Since preserving the paint is not a concern, I'd try acetone. Gasoline might do the trick, as well. I've heard that Castrol Superclean is powerful stuff, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Please protect your skin when playing with solvents and use ventilation. /PSA
Thanks!

StormDrain posted:

Have you applied a heat gun? Might soften it up and hey good excuse to get a heat gun.
Got a heat gun already, but unfortunately it being too soft a problem as is. In the winter time the stuff will slowly chip off, but right now in the summer heat it's just kinda mushing into the needle scaler.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

tritoch posted:

Accelerate the cooling with Dry Ice. It's commonly used to remove sound deadening.
That's a good idea. Now here's an even dumber question -- where the hell do you buy dry ice?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Was looking up info on rod knock, found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIOdS7XbHys

Am I missing something or is that an incredibly stupid way to go about this? He's got arcs flying and at 1:15 in particular got them coming off the bolts for the valve cover. :psyduck:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

IOwnCalculus posted:

Meatpimp: I'd try any of the chemical rust removers but I don't know how you'd get something like Evaporust to stay put on a table surface. I think there might be a more gel-like option though?
There is Naval Jelly. Loctite at the least makes a version of it, but I think it's a generic name?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Extra posted:

and here's what I'm looking at:

Is that a length of bare steel cable being used as a wire on the right hand terminal? :psyduck:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just bought a 1986 Mazda B2000 that I know basically nothing about because the PO was some shady dude who met me in a parking lot. Still, the truck was cheap... Anyway, I've got a couple questions.
I've got an 87 and that poo poo is fun to wrench on and drive.

Speaking of the 87, has anyone here attempted a carb to fuel injected conversion, on any vehicle really, before? I'm curious just how much of a pain in the rear end it is.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Pham Nuwen posted:

I still need to figure out what's going on with my carb... it's loving nuts, I think it's so huge due to some sort of emissions thing.

Edit: tell me more about your truck btw, poo poo to look out for and such. I'm loving mine so far, can't wait to get in there this weekend for the oil change, timing belt & water pump change, radiator flush, etc. Amazon's got parts converging on my location from all across the country.
It's really sensitive to vacuum leaks. That's been driving me crazy since one of the previous owners opted to rip out part of the emissions poo poo, which also runs on vacuum. So there's a lot of possible spots for me to have to plug.

Also if you have to replace the pitman arm (mine had a toast balljoint) be careful not to warp the splines it goes on when torquing it to the specified over 100 ft-lbs. Did that myself which gave the alignment shop guys a bit of a fit. :v:
I didn't seen anything in the Haynes manual warning about this or how to avoid it so yeah.

If you end up having to replace the oil pan gasket you will end up wanting to kill yourself. You have to remove the steering linkage and a frame crossmember to get the thing enough clearance to drop, and then you get to figure out how to rtv two surfaces at once since there's an oil baffle that goes between the pan and the block.

On the whole everything else has been pretty easy and parts are fairly cheap. Brake and clutch cylinders were a breeze.

Pham Nuwen posted:

actually since we're having tirechat right now, what tires are you running on yours? Mine has 3 5-year-old Kumhos and one tire with studs in it. I'm thinking I should get a new set of the cheapest acceptable tires on there.
Whatever the last owner had plus one used tire to replace a damaged one. Haven't gotten around to getting a new set yet since they still have some decent tread. The original size is weird by the way so expect to have only a few options.

Since the truck is my bitch vehicle it's going to get a raspberry pi and a capacitor bank in place of the battery in the nearish future.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Here's the vid on the capacitor thing that got me interested in it by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM

ed: in case it isn't clear the raspberry pi is for other stuff like gps, mileage tracking, music, and whatever other random poo poo I can think of.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Vacuum leaks are a bitch on these. There are people who rip out the emissions related poo poo, which accounts for a lot of the vacuum driven crap around the carb.

There's a bunch of random info here, no idea if something will be useful but at least they have the diagrams for the vacuum lines (which are hard to find). The forums auto url parse is being retarded so you'll have to copy and pull out the [url] tags that it refuses to quit putting in the wrong place.
code:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:UcRXSlWH_o0J:[url]www.mazdabscene.com/forums/engine-performance-f101/emissions-removal-t24232.html+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us[/url]

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
What is that canister even for? Some places are referring to it as a charcoal filter of some sort and saying it prevents fuel odor in the cab.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Can you find insulated washers at the chain auto parts stores? Alternatively is there any reason I couldn't just plasti dip a regular oversized washer and use that?

Cabin light hasn't been working right in ages and has had to be left off, turns out the screws that hold it in place are creating a short.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah. Just get a neoprene washer. Alternatively, you might be able to find a nylon screw.

For the life of me, I can't fathom how the screws that hold it in place are shorting it out.
gently caress if I know either. All I know is the on when door opens setting works fine when it's hanging in the cabin by the wires, but as soon as you try to put in the first screw the light comes on and stays on. The entire frame for the light is metal, maybe something in the light fixture has worked its way into contact?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah. Just get a neoprene washer. Alternatively, you might be able to find a nylon screw.

For the life of me, I can't fathom how the screws that hold it in place are shorting it out.
Turns out when I put the main socket piece back in its bracket* a wire got pinched, and I guess that was what the short was since the door open light didn't work until both bracket screws were in place. So I guess they are supposed to ground the bracket anyways and the pinched wire just shorted the switch. It's fixed now so I can finally see when getting in the truck at night. :buddy:

*(after sawing off the horrible OEM rearview mirror that they made integral to the light socket for god knows what reason)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I want to add some kind of anchors to my truck bed to help with securing loads. What are some good products for this, and what should I expect to have to do for installation? I don't have stake pockets or anything else that I could pop some product into, just a plain bed on an 87 b2000. Drilling is a-ok with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

StormDrain posted:

You can get some cheap d rings nearly anywhere that are a simple bolt in setup. They can come with square holes so you can use carriage bolts on them. Search for d rings or tie downs and you can find them with some hassle online. The bigger they get they eventually get to be weld on only but I doubt you need that strength in that application.
So I'll just drill through the bed and bolt it down with the nut on the other side? I was thinking of going with these.