Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

lol internet. posted:

2., Question about OBD2 code readers. Do all newer cars basically use this interface ? I figure I'd buy one since they seem to be pretty cheap for check engine code diagnostics. I assume, you just get a bluetooth one, then connect it to an android phone and download the app?

Yeah, all cars since 1996 should use it.

I bought this one and it works great with the Torque app.
BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_LUI2ub1MDYBR8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

This gives you a completely legitimate and unassailable right to drink beer while hanging around in the driveway at 10 AM.

Wait, you need an excuse to do this???

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

It's the "unassailable" part. Spouses can't say poo poo. You are Fixing Things, which is a task only possible with the correct superior german lubricants.

You can of course drink beer at 10AM whenver you drat well please, but some people will bitch and moan about it if you're just doing it at the office or while making breakfast or whatever.

When I started working 3rd shifts, the office was across the street from a blue collar bar. We'd go in there once a week at 7am and have 32 oz. schooners. Around 9 am, the bar owners elderly mother would come in and cook us all breakfast to go with our beers.

Ah, one's mid-20's when no one had anything better to do than drink at 7 am.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That would make a pimp rear end band van!

(I don't have an answer to your question, though.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

How's the commode?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CharlesM posted:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS
Here's one that's rated a little better!

It's $19 with free shipping at Newegg right now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Godholio posted:

I would guess the wires indicate a heated mirror...does your car have heated mirrors? Seems like there would be a switch or something for that.

The folks' Subaru's heated side mirrors and wipers activate with the rear defroster. No separate button. I can see how one wouldn't know for sure.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Would somebody be able to explain in laymen's terms what the function of the rollbar on a MacPherson strut is? I'm curious because I've taken mine out of my Scirocco and actually like the handling better without it.

Basically, the anti roll bar connects the two wheels together. When you go over a bump, both wheels move up and down together and the bar just moves with them. When you go around a corner, the wheels move in opposite directions as the car turns, causing the bar to twist, which acts like a spring to counteract the rolling of the body.

The plus side is it's like having stiffer springs when cornering and softer springs when going over bumps.

The downside is if one wheel hits a bump, a too stiff anti roll bar can cause the two wheels move unexpectedly and cause the car to turn instead of going straight.

It just aids what the springs are doing, doesn't have to do anything with the suspension geometry.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AmyL posted:

I have a Mercedes Benz C230 1997 with an "Engine Check" that has been on but nothing seems to be wrong with the engine. I am looking to buy a OBD 2 reader, one that can reset codes so I can be sure what is why the light is on but I'm not sure which one to buy.

Any recommendations?

This and Torque on my Android phone works great.
BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_C8u5ub1NBVD51

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

5' 9" is "tiny"? 5' 5" is average for an American woman.

Oh, um, Subaru Forester?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

2011 Subaru Forester

The book says inspect the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, no specific interval for changing it beyond that.

A) How does one inspect the fluid?

B) Should it just be replaced regardless? Every 30k? 45k? 60k? I'm thinking drain and fill, though the folks may just pay the dealer for a flush instead of having me do it at home.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Chances are the hybrid version of the car has some other componentry taking up the cavity vacated by half the tank, or the shell of the vehicle differs to accommodate the battery pack or whatever.

This makes sense.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I guess the tanks are pretty much identical visually - the hybrid tank just has a plastic wall to reduce capacity.

This does not.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Additional question: I have my own garage now and would like to start doing common car maintenance stuff (oil changes, etc) myself, what do I need to buy to assemble a good 'starter kit' for automotive maintenance?

If there's a Harbor Freight near you, get a cheap set of sockets and screwdrivers, a hammer or two, maybe a breaker bar. Once you start doing some work, you'll see what tools you'll need beyond that or what you use often enough to warrant an upgrade.

Very importantly, buy a set of jack stands before getting under the car. I'd also budget a decent jack as it makes life so much easier.

And check out the tools thread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Well navy is paying for it so the uhaul towing might be a real option.

When my friend worked for the Navy, they sent a couple of seamen (hehe) to pack up his belongings and ship them to his new place on the Navy's dime. Nothing like that?

For what it's worth, when my cousin moved to California, she bought a small trailer in Michigan and was able to flip it for a decent profit once she arrived. Seems like they are worth more in SoCal than the Midwest.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got in my car, put on my seat belt, and my car kept beeping and flashing at me to put on my seat belt. I looked under the seat and the electrical connections seem solid. How do I begin troubleshooting this?

Related, is my air bag disabled if the car thinks I'm not wearing my seat belt? I can deal with the warnings, but I don't want to airbags disabled because of it.

2007 VW GTI

(This is like #6 in the list of (unrelated) electrical issues I'm having; guess I did buy a VW after all! I was worried with it working pretty well up until now.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Don't know about diagnosis but if it thinks the seatbelt is unbuckled the airbag will not deploy as forcefully (dual stage airbags were federally mandated unfortunately). It is a safety issue. Sorry.

I went back out there to see if there were any codes, jiggled some wires under both seats, turned the car on, and the light now goes off when I put the seat belt on. No codes. Dunno.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Juice Box Hero posted:

About 20 years ago I was gifted a craftsman mechanic tool & socket set. That poo poo is half lost and half rusted out now, and I'm ready to own something of which I can take proper care. I'm rebuilding a '71 challenger so I want SAE and hopefully 12 pt?

Rakuten has a nice-looking gearwrench set for 220 bux. Is their stuff a gimmick? What should I buy? I'm looking to spend less than $400. I don't want to gently caress around with replacing individual craftsman pieces. I want a set with extenders and all three drive sizes.

Tool thread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369&pagenumber=254&perpage=40

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

heat posted:

There is no dipstick, which is what makes it so strange. I guess someone could get a bit extra in with a tight fitting hose and being really quick with the bolt but why the hell would anyone do that

Could have been filled on an angle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I seen after market flip/switchblade keys for cars that didn't come with them. I don't see anything specific for that year Accord, but I only looked quickly. Maybe you can cannibalize a key into a blank key if you're handy with electronics.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

EZipperelli posted:

So I paid my motorcycle off in December, and still haven't received my title. I called the dealership multiple times, and they claimed ignorance saying "well, we sent it, we can't do anything else for you". I also went so far as going TO the dealership to talk to the manager, and got the same song and dance from him.

So what are my options now? The dealership is obviously no help, nor do they seem to want to be. Is it possible to go to the DMV and get a "new" title, saying that the dealership "lost" mine?

Were you paying the dealer or were you paying some 3rd party loan company? Chances are your dealer hasn't had the title since you got the bike.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

No, every auto I've driven could be shifted from N to D freely.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just buy a car and drive. That's what I did. I grasped it pretty quickly with some online advice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

Samsung Galaxy S5 mirrorlink

Try this?
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00039227/763991326/SM-G900PZWEVMU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Do it yourself. Pads and rotors are usually an easy job. Auto mechanic 101.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yousomuscle posted:

I'm a moron who knows nothing about cars, but here is my deal:

2003 Mazda 6, 114k miles that I bought two years ago needs new brakes. There's a quiet grinding noise when I stop, and the dealer (don't kill me) said my brakes were at a '3 or a 4' (millimeters? what?) I take the car in today and get a phone call back saying that my brake calipers are rusted and seizing up, and that my discs need to be replaced as well. Visually, my brakes are indeed very rusty, as I live in New England, but the actual brake caliper-touching part of the disc is a shiny, clean piece of metal. They are giving me a price of $1600 to replace all four discs and calipers :aaa:

THEN they tell me that my transmission is about to go, because the man who drove my car around the block said that my clutch was going, "He was pressing the clutch all the way down and said it didn't want to go into gear". And admittedly this is something that is happening, but the drat thing shifts just fine in my opinion. And a new transmission is $2000 :aaaaa:

As I am a broke-rear end grad student who doesn't just have $4k lying around, what are my options? Is there anything that a hamfisted moron like myself can do in terms of fixing it on my own? How big of a ripoff is that price?

Take it somewhere else.

I don't think you can see if a caliper is seizing up visually. You'll get more wear on that corner (or less, I guess, if it seizes in the open position). You can drive the car some, brake hard a few times, and check the temperature of the brakes. If one is hotter (or colder) than the others, then it's seized and dragging. It would be really unlikely that all four would seize at the same time, especially since then it would be really hard to move the car or stop!

Also, you don't need a new transmission if your clutch is going out (!!!). You would just get the clutch replaced.

gently caress those guys.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

eriddy posted:

I have a 2007 VW GTi and there is a 5-6 mph difference between the speed shown on my speedometer and how fast my Waze app (iPhone navigation app) says I'm going.

My 07 GTI also reads ~5% high. Also, the fuel economy reading in the MFD and the speed it shows when you set the speed warning are both ~5% high. The distance traveled and, weirdly, the average speed readings in the MFD seem correct.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

My 07 GTI has the same problem. Can we vagcom this?

I think so?
http://www.my-gti.com/140/volkswagen-speedometer-error-correction

Can I borrow a VAG-COM???

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

C-Euro posted:

E: He thinks Macco (Maaco?) would give us the best deal, any experience with that chain?

Go to a proper shop...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

Apparently the rainx stuff fucks up VW sensors too but didn't realize that until month after I put the stuff in. Oddly enough I haven't had any problems. I would play it safe and just buy the regular non-rainx stuff. My car is fine but I won't buy it again.

I think that's only the orange formula. At least, that's what hosed up my sensor.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

literally this big posted:

Those prices should include everything from parts to labor. Normally I'd look into DIYing it, but I've got a big drive ahead of me on Monday and I need to get this done ASAP. So long at $210 seems reasonable I'll be going ahead with it. Thanks!

Well, a $200 difference (especially on the low end) can buy a lot of features in a car stereo. Are they offering the same parts?

And, OEM units tend to cost more. If the $400+ place is offering to put in an OEM deck, you can probably find something less expensive from the aftermarket.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Why just use a bit of crazy glue or put in your own screw?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Speaking of shittt audio set ups. The VW's stereo is hard soldered in. Is there a cheap generic adapter I can buy so if I ever want to take the radio out I'm not soldering a new one directly into the car again?

What car?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, I see what you're saying. I don't know. I did some quick searching and didn't see anything. Maybe you can find a generic harness out of another car, get the adapter for that car, and splice it into your car. I don't see why that wouldn't work, you'd just have to remember where the donor harness is from so you get the correct adapter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Rubber is rubber.

Its not. Different hoses are rated for different types of fluids in addition to pressure, temperature, and bend radius.

That said, I'd be surprised if a fuel line couldn't handle coolant. Coolant is pretty benign.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 31, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My GTI has different bulbs for flash to pass versus turning on the high beams, but it also has HID bulbs for the low/high beams.

Are you certain that the lows and highs are completely separate on the Rabbit? If it's like the GTI, then it sounds like the new bulbs are junk as those are what should be used for the high beams.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

0toShifty posted:

The car's original tires were removed at 200 miles and stored in bags in the garage.

They're probably trash by now. The rubber will dry rot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Funeral procession in the right lane of a two lane road. Open left lane. Is it fine to just drive past doing the speed limit?

(I'm I okay with being mad at all the people that just kept pace with the procession going about 10 mph under instead of driving like normal?)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dee eight posted:

(I'm assuming that it's two lanes in the direction of travel, otherwise hammer down and get past as quickly and safely as possible)

Yeah, two lanes, divider, two lanes in the opposite direction.

I always have trouble deciding if I should say a road is a two-lane road or a four-lane road.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

devmd01 posted:

What is the latest ELM327 bluetooth odbII clone that actually works? I lost the one I got a couple of years ago that someone recommended here. There are so many clones out there on amazon I'd rather not get one that's poo poo.

I bought this one.
http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BeepBoopBatman posted:

The problem is every resource I've found so far has been on DIY without making the car look lovely, which is the opposite of what I need.

Mod Max