Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
2007 Hyundai Accent here, about 95,000 miles. The car drove without issue last night, and then as I'm driving to work this morning I notice an odd scraping sound like the sound of something dragging against pavement, but only when I'm going slow (under 20 mph). It sounds like it's coming from the rear underneath of the car. When I got to work I checked and there isn't anything hanging down that could be making such a noise.

Any idea what this could be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Geoj posted:

Rear disc brakes? If so you may have a rock jammed between the rotor and it's shield.

That could be. The noise sounds like a metal shovel scraping against gravel, so a rock would make sense. Is it still safe to drive? Both my wife and I rely on it to get to work and back at the moment and we probably won't be able to take it in to the shop until the weekend.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Krakkles posted:

It's going to get more expensive the longer it's in there. It may dislodge itself (best case), it may stay there and eat up the rotor and pad. If it hasn't done much damage yet, it could still be "turn the rotor and reinstall".

How long has it been since it's had a brake job? If you're due anyway, I'd probably drive it and take it in when you can (still ASAP, of course, but a couple light drives won't cause immediate catastrophic failure).

I just had our mechanic take a look at it and he said that the brakes are fine. v:shobon:v I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next.