Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I pre-ordered Dark Souls 3 through Amazon because with Prime, it's got release-day shipping and was 20% off. Because I'm a giant nerd babby, I was going to take Wednesday off from work and play it till my eyeballs bleed.

But I canceled my Prime membership yesterday (was up for renewal today,) so my GF and I can share hers to save money. But that changed my pre-order to a "non-prime order" so now I'd have to pay the full price and not get it till Thursday.

And THEN we find out that you can't share her Amazon Prime account because it's a Student account, and she already renewed for a year last March and it's too late to cancel it (well...we can cancel it, but there's no refund, so no point in doing that.)

So I'll have to re-up mine for another year, and then possibly cancel and re-place my order so it will be at the discounted price and arrive Tuesday.

I could attempt to live a year without Prime, but in addition to the shipping, I do sometimes use the streaming aspects of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Inzombiac posted:

Got drunk and had some great sex last night but I barely remember it.

How can you be sore sure it was great, then?

Just tell yourself that it was just merely-ok sex that drunk you thought was good and no more need to fret!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The doc I've been seeing for the last few years decided to not practice medicine as a regular doc, and now only works urgent care. I did not find this out until today when I called to make my appt.

I'm going to run out of pills about 3 days before my appt to go get a refill of my meds. I left a message with the clinic but they haven't called me back about it.

:smith:

Maybe try https://www.livehealthonline.com/ ?

You literally "See" a doctor via webchat and get maybe get a script refilled. I had a friend use it and she literally got a script for a few motion sickness patches for a cruise in less than 10 minutes.

But it might depend on what you need refilled. I imagine things like opiates, or stuff like Xanax or Valium might be harder to get a quick refill on from some doctor who's never met you before.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I sent my phone in for a repair and it was shipped back to me Friday evening, and got to my local FedEx facility Saturday. It could have been shipped to me then, but Motorola didn't pay for Sat shipping, which I can understand.

But then today I check the tracking, and it's listed as "Package not due for delivery."

I looked that up and it basically means the package certainly COULD be delivered today, but FexEd is deliberately holding it an extra day. Motorola paid for "2nd day shipping" and since it was so late on Friday, that doesn't count as one of the "business days," so officially the "two business days" are today and tomorrow, even though they could have sent it out today. Basically, they do this so that people don't start to expect to get their packages sooner than what was paid for. Because gently caress good customer service.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Green olives are a snack, not a pizza topping. :colbert:

Green olives are trash food, not a snack or pizza topping. :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Snapchat sent out an update, and now when you view someone's Snap-Story (or whatever they call it,) it will autoplay the next person's story, too. Previously, when done with one person's story, you'd go back to the Story screen, but now you find yourself tapping and tapping to skip a story and wonder why this person has so many stories, and wait, why is George in Lindsay's Snap, they don't know each other-oh, right.

The First-Worldiest of problems.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

HOLY gently caress posted:

Also I bought way too much epoisses cheese at my local cheese place and now I'm worried about finishing it before it goes off.

PMing you my address now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I can't get my bluetooth controller to convert to my Raspberry Pi running RetroPi.

The bluetooth works, cause it can connect to my PS3 controller, but I got one of those replica SNES bluetooth controllers because it 'feels' more authentic. Even after completely reformatting and re-imaging RetroPi it won't see it.

I got it to connect once in the settings menu, but then after restarting the Pi to reload the emulation software it wouldn't connect again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mikl posted:

loving Facebook, just let me loving read my loving messages from mobile without loving forcing me to install loving Messenger, gently caress :argh:

Am I the only one that only has the FB messenger app but not the FB app?

They probably fixed it a while ago, but the Android FB app used to be a huge battery hog, even just in the background. So I just go to the FB mobile site, and then have the Messenger app.

I turned off all the permissions it wants and it still works.

I can't make calls or do video chat with it, or send pictures, but I don't need/want to. I figure that cuts back on the "information stealing" aspect.

There's only like 3 people who for some reason hit me up on FB chat with any regularity, and then I get the occasional message from someone who doesn't have my phone # (usually random family members inviting my to some cousin's b-day party or something.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I got a "new" laptop (used that I bought from work when we upgraded, so not brand new, but with a fresh Win 10 install and better than my current personal laptop), and I hate that none of the settings are the way I like but I'm also too lazy to take the time to go in and change them since I only use it an hour or so a day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

The Liquid Plumr Hair Clog Eliminator is amazing, I have shut old rusted pipes so they inevitably get clogged with hair sticking to the rust. This poo poo makes my pipes run like new. I can't recommend it enough. I also let it sit for longer than the 15 min or whatever the recommended time but I have metal pipes and that prob wouldn't work on plastic..... Hopefully doesn't ruin metal pipes :ohdear:

I've always heard that you should basically never use any Liquid Plumber/Drano type of products ever. Maybe like once or twice, but despite what they say, they are bad for all pipes, metal and plastic.

Just get a drain snake to get rid of clogs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The best you can do to mitigate that is use the "Active Hours" setting so that it won't restart between some time you choose, like during the workday or something.

You can only set up to twelve hours, but better than nothing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Noctone posted:

my only issue so far with chipped cards is that most of the readers take for-loving-ever to process a transaction.

I think it's because there's a lot more data that has to get transmitted, AND it has to go back-and-forth more, but it's still on old-as-gently caress phone lines at most retailers instead of the high speed internet lines.

And most (all?) places aren't even chip+PIN, they're chip+signature. Under $50 or so, no signature required, but over that, you have to sign. But if most people are like me, most purchases are under $50 so I don't think to look at the screen so then it takes even longer on a larger purchase cause I don't notice it's waiting for me to sign.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

God drat, am I looking forward to November so the loving political ads will stop

I live in northern VT, and the major TV stations here serve NY and NJ as well, so I get three states worth of political ads.

:suicide:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I had to go to court today since I'm pleading not guilty to a ticket. The prosecutor first thing when I get there starts asking me about the wrong charges. Then once I corrected them they offered me court supervision, which I thought was weird since I had already turned that down to plea not guilty. The judge finally called me up and... the prosecutor immediately asked for a continuance because the state didn't have any of the paperwork or anything ready despite it being 3 months after the ticket was initially issued. So now I have to go back for the THIRD TIME next month.

Yet I bet if you asked for a continuance because you "weren't ready" the judge would basically say "go gently caress yourself" and rule you guilty.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Oct 19, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cross-posted from the homeownership thread in BFC:

I'm getting as fence replaced...that's it, just a fence.

I have to fill out a zoning and land use permit from the Zoning Board, part of the Department of Planning and Zoning.

That requires photographs of my property and my neighbors, photos of the new fence, including descriptions of the visual style, size, material, and color. And a site plan of the subject property, that is accurate and to scale, including the following, as applicable:
  • Identifying information including the record owner of land, north arrow, date (including any revision dates)
    and scale (recommended at not smaller than 1 inch equals 40 feet);
  • Lot dimensions and location of property lines, abutting streets, the location and dimensions of the
    existing house and driveways;
  • Location of the proposed fence per Sec 6.2.2(m) Landscaping and Fences, (i.e. clear sight triangle and
    setback as indicated on page 2).
  • Location and ownership of rights-of-way or easements affecting the property;
  • Required setbacks from property lines and/or public rights-of-way;
  • Grading changes with minimum 5 ft. contours

Oh, and a $50 application fee.

Once that's approved, then I have to fill out and apply for a construction and building permit from the Department of Public Works. Basically, the same stuff all over again. Description of the work, name of the contractor, construction plans, etc... And another fee, $8.50 per $1000 of estimated costs, $30 minimum.

And THEN, once the new fence is in, I go back to the DPW to get a building inspector to come out and issue the final inspection to close out the building permit.

And finally, I contact the Code Enforcement Office to get a code officer to come out and issue a Unified Certificate of Occupancy. Yes...a certificate of occupancy for a fence. Oh, and that's another $35 fee.

I think those last two steps can be done at the same time, possibly the same person...I'm not entirely sure.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

The gently caress don't we have legit probiotics now?

Yeah, but you're not going to like the procedure.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My birthday was last weekend, and to be honest, it was kind of crummy.

To most people, it probably sounded good...my fiance "surprised" me with a trip to NYC. I say "surprised" because it was about a month ago that she sprung it on me, but only to make sure I didn't make other plans, but she bought the tickets on her own and I had no idea she was planning a trip, so it was sort of a surprise.

Thing is, I'm not a birthday person. I don't care about them...another year, big whoop-dee-do. But she IS a big birthday person. I go all out for hers, because I know she likes that, and I get that she wants to do the same for me, but honestly I'd have preferred a weekend of staying home and playing video games and watching football.

And compound that with the fact that she's not great at planning things. She got the plane tickets and room...and that's it. She left everything else up to me because it was my birthday and we should do what I want, but I know the real reason is because she hates doing that stuff. She likes to decide where to go, and then have me plan everything else and use the excuse,
"Well it was my idea to go in the first place, so you can chose the details." And then if things aren't enjoyable, she can complain to me about them.

So I was in this awkward spot of trying to plan the right amount of things. Should I maximize our time there and pack in a lot of stuff, or just kind of go "free form" with it and do what suits us at the second? So I got stressed about it, did more of the latter because I was stressed and didn't want to keep thinking about it and putting in more effort, so in the end I feel like it was just a waste of time and money. And the one thing I really wanted to do (Museum of Natural History) we didn't do because we got there, it had a bit of a line (that was moving pretty fast, honestly) and she decided it was too many people, she was tired, sick of walking, etc... so we went back to our room and did nothing for 3 hours.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

bradzilla posted:

I wanted to donate blood today, but my hemoglobin was too low :(

Perfect excuse to go eat some steak!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I logged in to pay my mortgage and the amount I owed was twice as much as it should be, and it caused me to wonder if I really did pay December, and go back through the transactions, and I saw December WAS missing, got concerned, did more looking, and saw a payment on 11/29, but no payment for the start of November, so went further back and finally found two payments for Oct, the 1 and 29th, so that sort of answered if I had paid all of last year...I did, but was still wondering why I "owed" twice as much.

So called them up and it turns out they changed something on their back end so that if you're at the start of a month it now shows the amount you owe for that month AND the next month...WTF? The Feb payment is due on Feb 1, I get that it's technically due by then, so I guess you could show it to me now, but on the flip side of that, nothing is "late" until after the 15th of the month. Their previous system would only show next month's as due when you were past the 15th, seeing rear end I imagine most people pay it in the first week of the month. Why did they switch? The operator even said they've had TONS of calls about that today.

At the very least send out an email or put a notice on the accounts page that you've changed how it shows the total due so people like me don't freak out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

So would you say you have Cat Scratch Fever :v:

You jest, but...
http://www.healthline.com/health/cat-scratch-disease

I had it as a kid. My sister's cat scratched me on the foot, and a lymph node in my groin got super infected and swollen, like ping-ping ball sized. Antibiotics didn't help, so eventually had to have surgery to remove it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My GF bought a quart of paint last night for a project, but it was too late to start, so she left it sitting on an end table in the living room. At some point during the night, the cat decided the paint can (and most of the paint within) looked better on the living room floor.

It's latex paint, at least, and the floors are sealed hardwood, so it's not like it's carpet or anything, but they're older floors and not sealed well. They're original parquet floors when the house was built in the 70's, and maybe they've been refinished once, but it was long ago. We cleaned up most of it this morning with paper towels and water, but there's plenty of dryer spots that were hard to get up, and we had no time to try to really get them all. We're hoping they come off easily by scrapping with a putty knife, but I know there's areas where the finish is worn down and the paint might have soaked through, not to mention the larger gaps between the pieces where the paint got down, though at least that's not super noticeable.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Poldarn posted:

Head on down to whatever hardware store you have nearby and get some paint remover wipes. If the paint has dried you can let one rest on a spot for a few minutes to soak in, then wipe it up. They work like Lysol wipes but for paint.

Actually, we managed to get (almost) all of it off. Just scraping up all the dried paint with a putty knife worked perfectly. The only spots we couldn't get were a few larger gaps between the sections of parquet, but it's a dark brown paint, so it's not really noticeable anyway.

Thank God my GF didn't get oil-based paint like she was originally considering.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

These are ok, but a few years ago they had a different kind of lemon cookie that was a sandwich-style with lemon icing on the inside and it was sooo much better.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It sucks that Pixar is now a sequel factory. loving Cars 3?

Cars has the most movies of any of their franchises, too.

Cars 1, 2, and soon-to-be 3.

And then also Planes and Planes: Fire and Rescue.

How Fire and Rescue, a spin-off of a spin-off, was actually released in theaters and not straight-to-video is lost on me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I bought a used truck a couple weeks ago and dropped it off today to get inspected.

I knew it would need some work, but hot drat, it's more than I figured.
It needs all 4 ball joints, 4 tires, front brakes, and rear shocks. gently caress me, will probably cost close to what I paid for the truck just to fix it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My GF and I transplanted all of our pepper, tomato, watermelon, and squash seedlings into our raised begs last weekend and so far all the tomato and sqwuash, and most of the pepper and watermelons have already died. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Remember Steve Lichman?

Well there are now two hardback books. Some 1,000 pages.
I ordered both back in... May? and it way supposed to be delivered on September.

Turns out they messed up with the Chinese printer and got shoved down to the bottom of the queue.

Now I have no clue when this crap is gonna get to me.

Seriously? Fuuuuuuuck.

I swear this happens to EVERY Kickstarter for books and games that use Chinese printers (which is like 99% because they're so cheap).