Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Mzuri posted:

Why do you need a watch to start exercising?

My wife is an RN and deals with post-op ortho patients, mostly total joint replacement. She and the rest of her group have found that patients are more responsive to an electronic device reminding them to do their recovery exercise and activity than a human doing the same thing. This is especially true if the devices track a streak, people love streaks.

But what is really interesting, is that the patients love the little bits of praise the devices give. When an actual human praises them, they are often suspicious or dismissive of the praise.

So, a little buzz on your wist and fireworks going off on your Fitbit gets more results than a living human telling you "Good work!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

HOLY gently caress posted:

Oh god, I hate the Trash Bag Struggle so much. So many trash bags are just straight up poo poo like the flap ones you mentioned. Some also have drawstrings that break or rip even if you put nothing remotely sharp in them. I have to now gingerly carry this bag, cradled like a child in my arms, so it doesn’t loving dump trash everywhere on my way to the dumpster. I think last time we had to order bags from Amazon because all the good ones were out here too :argh:

The struggle is real. The other day I went out to buy some tall kitchen 13 gallon bags. They only had super expensive boxes of 10. The larger count sizes were all sold out. Unless you wanted to buy scented bags.

Now I am not one who enjoys the smell of garbage. Sometimes, I'll open up the can while throwing something away and get a whiff, "Yup, that's garbage smell, don't like it." But VANILLA SCENTED GARBAGE SMELL? Holy hell, my brain recoils in horror. Who the gently caress buys scented garbage bags? They don't mask anything,they just make it smell worse.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I just found out the 2 stage flush button on top of one of our toilet tanks was installed, rotated 180 degrees the wrong way. So due to the way the mechanism works, every flush has been a full drain of the tank. For the past 14 years.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
Because I am old, I can now get the COVID vaccine in my state. I went in on Saturday afternoon, the second day it was available. This was at one of the California POD sites. Even though there were a lot of people there, I was in and out within 30 minutes, and this included the 15 minute post injection wait time. All of the staff were super friendly and joyful, and so were most of us getting the jab. You could tell people were smiling under their masks. And a few were a bit weepy and emotional. The guy sitting next to me in the waiting area had a full breakdown and was bawling.

My problem is that even though the whole process was quick and painless, I have developed pretty much all of the major side effect.
Headache, yes
Joint pain, yes
Injection site soreness, hell yes
Chills, yes
Diarrhea..............yes :(

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I have a cable modem provided by Cox but the wifi router is mine. The router is 11 years old and it looked (I assumed) like it died. So I went and bought a new one. Hooked it up, configured it and all was working well. For a day. Reset everything and it worked. For an hour. After that, I could not get connectivity.

The cable modem was showing green across the board. But the indicator at the ethernet connection was no longer lighting up. The modem has 4 ethernet ports, but 3 are taped over. Supposedly they are disabled by Cox. But I peeled off the tape and plugged the router into one of the others. Sure enough it synced up within a few seconds and has been running fantastic all week. I am still using the default SSID and password.

But now I am too lazy to plug the old one back in and change all of the connected device passwords. I also am to lazy to pack up the new router and return it to get my 80 bux back.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

The catalytic converter was stolen out of my Prius. I use my car for work so I'm effectively unemployed until it is fixed. My insurance company gave my phone number to a tow company but transposed some digits so it wasn't picked up for a week after I requested, and in that time the auto shop it was going to be sent to filled up on appointments. Now that auto shop has sent my car to an impound and I'm on the line for the fees.

The auto shop that it is now being sent to is full up until April 17, so I'm not able to work for over a month by the time it's fixed, and I have a $1000 deductible on top of losing a months of wages plus whatever impound fees. Also, my tire was devastated from the cutting off of my catalytic converter, and I have a gnawing suspicion my insurance won't cover it.

As a person who believes in karma, I'm pretty sure the universe just hates the poo poo out of me, because in the last 12 months:

1)my 3 year old dog was diagnosed with lymphoma
2)my wife and I spent all our savings fighting said lymphoma
3)my brother killed himself orphaning his children
4)said dog subsequently died
5)my cat died
6)this poo poo

What's the fuckin point in this bleak desolate hellscape we call living

Sorry about 1 to 5.

But for nuber 6 you can do a temporary fix that will cut down on the noise. Just get a piece of exhaust system piping and cut it to fit the gap created by the missing catalytic converter. Is it legal? Probably not, but hopefully you can just it around until your scheduled appointment comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
What good is it to get two keys for a rental car, if both keys are bound together in a permanent way?

The last two times I rented a car, both keys were on an unopenable braided steel loop. I resolved the situation by going into a hardware store and clipping the loop with a pair of pliers.

Thanks Alamo!