Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sweet As Sin posted:

I'm sick. I don't have to work.

But I hate being sick!

I'm sick, but I work from home.

Still working. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I went to Culver's for lunch but they were out of their root beer.

:psypop:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Celery Face posted:

The A&W's around here have really gone downhill. They water down the root beer and use paper bags instead of foil for the burgers.

The root beer is the only reason to go (also, cheese curds). Watering it down is criminal.

The only one near us is also a Long John Silver's and they don't have a root beer keg or sell root beer by the gallon.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Irish Joe posted:

A battery powered mower. Now I've seen everything.

Well, you might run over an extension cord.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Our microwave went out last week. We have a home warranty, so for $75 someone is supposed to come out and fix it. Instead he told us that it was not a fixable issue and that we'd need to get a new microwave.
That's okay, the home warranty company will replace it for us. That $75 covers repair or replacement when repair isn't possible.
They sent us an email asking for specs on our microwave, which we dutifully provided. It took them five days to call us with an offer. I went over the specs and saw that the model they were offering was missing features that we had. So they went back and found another model that meets our features (it's even slightly better due to how the features are bundled) and offered that one instead. We accepted. It will be another week before we get it.
We'll be two weeks without a microwave in the kitchen. I had to heat up left over vegetables on the stovetop like a savage. I had to thaw out frozen fish in the sink! Lunch has been sandwiches because we can't just throw some soup or whatever in the microwave; I refuse to cook soup from a can in a pot on principle.
We have a really nice microwave downstairs (stainless steel, 1250W), but I'm not going up and down the stairs just to heat something up.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AlphaKretin posted:

Had some family drama with someone who might have known my password so I can't be complacent with the password that I used to use everywhere because I had it committed to muscle memory. :effort: Is it stupid to get nostalgic for a password? I had it for so long. :smith:

If you've had it that long, it's probably in a password cracking dictionary file by now.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Helios Grime posted:

If we are already talking about losing weight. (which is really already only a first world problem)

I'm on a cut to get me something of a nice beachbody in the summer months. I'm counting calories to not lose weigth too fast and losing much muscle mass. So I can't really eat calorie dense foods like sweets(duh) but what do I find this morning while browsing the internet?

These gifs.

http://i.imgur.com/oTGwt1u.webm

http://imgur.com/gallery/DRtTa :suicide:

Now I have a food boner.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm really fuckin' tired but I can't go to sleep for another 20 minutes because something's downloading on my laptop and it'll get waaaay too hot if I leave it overnight. :sigh:

E: Finallyyyyyyyyyy

That's why I use a mouse mover program plus psshutdown from Sysinternals. Mouse mover keeps it from going to sleep and I can use psshutdown to schedule a shutdown in X minutes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tiggum posted:

You can schedule a shutdown with the built-in task scheduler in Windows.

I can save a .bat file calling psshutdown to shut down in 3 hours. Double-click and go to bed.

New FWP (American edition) - I'm excited to only be responsible for $300 of a hospital stay billed at $1600. Thank God for employer provided health insurance.

Edit: whoops. It's $16,000 not $1,600.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Jan 22, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Depression sucks. I don't have much TO be depressed about, but yet today, boom, depressed.

:therapy:

Edit: not joking. It works.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inzombiac posted:

Trump is doing too well.
I'm starting to get genuinely worried.

Same.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I have too much delicious smoked ham left over from Easter and will have to freeze some of it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Crow Jane posted:

I asked my boyfriend to pick up toilet paper on his way home the other day, and not only did he buy the terrible scratchy single ply Scott poo poo, he bought a 24 pack of it.

Sever.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I just learned about the new Baldur's Gate controversy and now I'm really loving mad. I'm genuinely upset over how absolutely poo poo people are, even though it's really nothing I should be surprised at.

What is it?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thin Privilege posted:

It's been almost 2 years and I still want their food :negative:

Go invite yourself over like on those Johnsonville Brats commercials.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thin Privilege posted:

I don't know what this is, will it work?

Now my upstairs neighbor is singing horribly off key to some horrible Celine Dion or similar.

/apartment living

https://youtu.be/5H_2mzLVa2o

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MisterBibs posted:

I have off today, so I took advantage of it to go to a bar and watch my favorite radio guys live.

My stool is hurting my rear end after 2 hours of sitting here.

Take a stool softener.
:rimshot:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Crow Jane posted:

I took two giant contractor bags filled with clothes to the Good Will yesterday. I'm reasonably sure I accidentally threw a few things in there that I didn't actually want to get rid of, because I was in a blind closet-cleaning rage at the time.

Pro-tip for next time: save the bags for two weeks before taking it to Goodwill. That should be enough time for you to pull out the items you aren't ready to part with.
Alternatively, but new stuff.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

artsy fartsy posted:

I'm growing my hair out from a pixie and it's in that really awkward, 90s-male-child-actor stage.

I am an uggo and my hair is usually the only thing going for me, but now I have NOTHING.

Inzombiac posted:

Having to watch/read news and intelligence reports all day make me just want to die.

Not commit suicide, just blip out of existence.

I can relate to both of these equally.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zeth posted:

I finished a really good video game and the sequel isn't out for another four months.

Mirror's Edge 2 in only on EA Origin. I already have Steam and the GOG Launcher installed. I refuse to install another one.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mikl posted:

Despite being a mid-2015 model, my phone won't be officially updated to Android 7 Nougat. Because gently caress you, that's why.

My 2014 phone will never get Android 6. Same reason.
I felt grateful to get 5.1 a year after it came out.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
My boss is so good at his job, I have no idea why he hasn't already left for a better paying job somewhere else.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

The weather is getting far too hot over in england, and because of the heat the hot water tap gets way hotter way faster. Where before it would warm up over a couple of minutes and result in a decent dishwashing temp by the time the basin was full, now it starts at too hot and needs to be tempered with cold water and leaving it for a bit to cool or it's scalding hot.

Where is your hot water heater that the ambient temperature has that much of an impact? On the roof?

Edit: no sarcasm. I am genuinely curious. We had a hot water heater in an unventilated room off of our carport while living the US Mid-south and we didn't have problems with the air temp messing up the water temp.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Flipperwaldt posted:

If your water heater is tankless, ambient temperature makes a big difference.

As an American, I prefer to waste vast amounts of energy on hot water I won't even use.
Also, gently caress fluorescent bulbs; they take a few extra seconds, sometimes as many as 30, to get to full luminosity. That is unacceptable.

My real FWP is that the Internet connection from my ISP to my house is far faster than the connections inside my house so I don't get the full benefit of the ultra-highspeed I am paying for. It comes in at 100 / 5, but I get more like 50 / 2 in my house. Dumb old cables and last gen WiFi.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inzombiac posted:

I moved from one apartment that only had windows facing North/South to one only facing East/West.

We must kill the sun.

As a wise woman once told me, "The Sun is stupid."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sociopastry posted:

My makeup looks really good today but if I eat some spaghetti then it will ruin my lipstick.

Eat the spaghetti. You only live once.

My FWP, I just had my third session of elective, voluntary electrolysis and it hurts so much.
Also, I've wanted Taco Bell for a week but haven't felt like driving the extra 5 minutes out of my way to get it.
The nicer McDonald's near me closed down six months ago. It had been in business for more than 30 years. Now where will I go to get overly sweet tea and food designed to trick my mouth into thinking it tastes good?
Finally, we get so many packages in the mail that the post office has stopped giving us mail bins. They just dump them on the front porch and let us drag them in.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kelp Me! posted:

I just checked and there are eighteen Starbucks within a <10 mile radius of my house :wtc:

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-starbucks-opens-in-rest-room-of-existing-starb-560

:itshappening:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

starkebn posted:

stop spending money hoping it will make you feel better you idiots

But it does for a little while. Then the ennui returns and the cycle repeats.

Helios Grime posted:

But how do I fill the void that is my existence?

According to thread title, masturbation.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sweet As Sin posted:

A sandwich would be an improvement, I brought lemon pepper chicken and a cucumber salad but I've eating a lot of chicken and I'm kind of sick of it.

I ate the cucumber so I have only the chicken!

I'm pretty sure its Hot Pockets for me today. I am so tired of Hot Pockets.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sweet As Sin posted:

I have never had a hot pocket. Are they good? Barring being sick of them.

They have Hot Pockets for every taste! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, croissant crust, buttery crust, deli style meats, lean varieties. If you have a college-student's refined palate, they are perfect.

I eat them because they are easy and often on sale. They taste like junk food. If you like junk food, you will like Hot Pockets.

I still eat crap like this because I grew up with two parents who worked 6 days a week and didn't cook much. I get all nostalgia-y over horrible junk food like Hot Pockets, chicken strips, Steak-Ums, etc. Hamburger Helper was a rare treat.

I guess being a latch-key kid is a first world problem if you live in America. I did have to break into my own house once because I forgot my key and gently caress sitting outside for four hours in my school clothes with my books and poo poo. But I'm white so it was no big deal if anyone saw me jimmying open a window. It was before ubiquitous cell phones so it's not like I could call anyone.

My biggest first world problem today is that I work from home and have worked from home for almost 10 years. I have no RL friends because my co-workers live two or more state's away. Between that and my wife's health problems, the people we have the closest relationships with are her doctors. At least I have good insurance through work and enjoy my job.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Noctone posted:

Technically true for Forbes at least, since literally can't see any of the site without whitelisting them or doing some relatively complicated workarounds.

There are some sites that hide desired functionality behind JavaScript that can get blocked by overzealous ad-blockers, too.

Edit: like Ancestry.com runs very poorly with uBlock and Privacy Badger both enabled. Some eBay sellers content won't load with them either. Hulu has been pretty good about it, so has Amazon.
And I disable uBlock for Something Awful like a good citizen.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Jul 7, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cowslips Warren posted:

One of my friends, who moved to Canada to be with her boyfriend, now husband, is utterly furious because after their relationship has gone back and forth from them living in his parents' basement, them getting an apartment, losing it, moving back, him going through many jobs, coming out as trans, her coming out as asexual, finally back to their own place, now in the process of buying a house, and him finally in a job he's kept for more than 6 months....he doesn't want to have a baby and thinks it'd be a burden.

She refuses to think that maybe, maybe it's a better idea not to have a baby with a manchild who wants to play video games rather than do adult poo poo, or who quits his job because he's tired of it. This is HER dream. She's made all the sacrifice and is going on fertility drugs next month and he's....not wanting her to have her dream.

But she insists they are on a hard timeline because she is mid 30s and he is mid 30s and any older and it'll be impossible to keep up with a kid in their 40s. So they have to do this NOW or it's never gonna happen.

Of course she's bitter that it's taken them years to get a real place because he refused to keep a job. Now they have a house ready and she's gunning for a baby and he flat out refuses.

edit: I tried to get her mind of it, and instead she is naming off every loving baby name she can think of.

And to be honest, part of me is sad because if they do have a kid, I don't see the marriage lasting much longer.

Her husband is a trans woman now? If so, and she's taking hormones, that's gonna gently caress up the chances at getting pregnant.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Golli posted:

If asexual means an absence of interest in sexual activity, is she wanting to adopt, or has she changed her mind on being asexual?

Based on the description, asexual may just mean she doesn't want to have sex with her partner but is too committed to look outside the relationship. It's sad all around and if "hey I'm trans gender" or "hey I'm asexual" aren't extremely good reasons to be able to amicably end a relationship, I don't know what is.
But no, let's hang on for the child--oh, never mind.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kelp Me! posted:

same but "please disable your adblocker so we can force autoplay audio/video ads on you we need the money :("

loving Forbes does this. What the gently caress? Don't autoplay videos after you force me to disable my ad-blocker.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cowslips Warren posted:

Update on my friend demanding a baby: her husband went to his parents to talk to them, and was promptly ordered by his mom to see the loving light, have a baby like any adult would, and give her a grandchild because all her other grandkids are 8-10 years old and she wants a baby to grandmother over.

Friend is smirking triumphant how she won and is getting her dream and already planning out the nursery.

Part of me thinks his parents are forcing the issue because they really really want him to 'be a man' still.

Your friend and husband have an incredibly dysfunctional relationship. Wow. "Let's have a baby because my mom wants a grandchild" is not a good reason. Why would your friend celebrate that? Her husband's parents basically told him that they don't give a poo poo what his reasons are for not wanting a kid, just have a baby for their sake. Maybe he knows he'll be a terrible father (because that's all he knows) and doesn't want to subject a new life to it?

And "like any adult would" is also terrible advice. Two adults in a crap marriage should not have a baby, period. Your friend and her husband may be nice people, but they are dumb when it comes to what raising a child actually means. If they don't like each other now, a kid will probably just amplify that.
I guess they can just farm the kids off the the grandparents since that's apparently what they want.

Sorry to get to worked up, but I hate it when babies and children are treated like objects or accomplishments and not a tiny human that needs love and support.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Yawgmoth posted:

Gotta get my IRL cheevos, man!

Trump is kicking transgender people out of the military. I've gotta feel better than someone today.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mikl posted:

Android with Google Keyboard? Yeah :(:hf::(

If you find a solution let me know.

I use Swype and I don't have that problem.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

Last year literally everyone forgot my Dad's birthday, including my mother. I made sure to get him something extra nice on their anniversary - I got him some Pearl Cufflinks and my mom a Pearl bangle (It was their 30th Anniversary, the Pearl Anniversary in the UK)

Put a recurring yearly reminder on your phone. That's what I do.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bamabalacha posted:

I tripped over the charging cord for a Tesla while walking home from yoga.

The public, free charging station for Tesla's in my neighborhood is next to a really hipsterish burger place (Smash Burger). I have to walk a quarter mile through the massive parking lot to get to a Mr Pickleman's sandwich shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

I missed recording Supergirl last night, it just didn't happen, so I've now missed episode 2 and can't find anywhere to watch it online. Youtube is just a bunch of reaction videos and all the other places are laden with viruses, and it's not available on catchup. :(

YAY I FOUND A WAY!

Was the the CW app or the CW website? Because they host them on their own site the next day.