Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I had to explain to someone, twice, how while I'm a doctor, I'm not a medical doctor, and therefore I cannot recommend treatment or prescribe medicine. I'm still not sure if they got it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

So can you take a look at this thing on my arm? :v:

What field is your doctorate actually in? Maybe you could go with the angle of explaining that you're a professor or a scientist or a mathematician or something.

Animal science.

First World Problem: lost count of how many times I've had to say "no, I'm not a veterinarian, they're two different things".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I just found out there's going to be a solar eclipse in two days time, very much visible from where I live.

Too bad I'm stuck about 8600 km from home and I won't be back until the day AFTER the eclipse :smithicide:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yesterday I was sleepy so I went to bed early, but I really wanted to watch an LP on Youtube instead :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I had a really nice steak for dinner, then I watched a cooking show, now I'm craving carbs :cripes:

But I can't eat again or I'll get super fat WHY IS MY LIFE SO HARD :saddowns:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Daylight saving time starts tonight. I'll have to adjust all the clocks in my house, and I'm 100% sure I'm going to miss at least one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alitalia's website is a huge streaming turd. Doing anything on it that's not a reservation or an online check-in is a chore, and even those don't always work.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I looked for a precision electronic scale on Amazon. I found one with a precision of 0,01 grams rather cheap, but all the "people who bought this also bought" suggestions were about hundred-packs of little ziploc plastic baggies, and now I'm worried I'm on some kind of list.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I'm terrible at putting on contact lenses.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I had to sit in my car dealership's waiting room for a full half hour while they replaced a cable (for free, manufacturer's defect).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The postal service here in Italy is a loving joke. I placed an order for something from the UK last Monday. It was shipped on Tuesday, and it arrived in Italy on Wednesday. Despite Saturday being a working day for the postal service, it's not here yet.

One day order-shipping.
One day shipping-arrival in Italy (about 1000 km).
Four days (and counting) arrival in Italy-my house (about 200 km).

Get hosed :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mayoral and gubernatorial elections tomorrow. I'll actually have to get off my lazy rear end and go down to the polling centre to vote. On a Sunday :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I started dieting (well more eating better, and not All The Food) recently, and exercising yesterday. The only way I can describe how I am today is that my everything is sore. I am so amazingly out of shape.

This was me, one month ago.

Everything will always be sore for the first few weeks. If you're not sore you're doing something wrong.

(As long as it's just sore and not actually painful. If it's painful you're also doing something wrong.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I got super mad at a movie (Tomorrowland) and all my friends are like "Dude, we get it, but chill, it's just a movie."

Logically I know they're right, but I wish they'd share my rage of a thousand suns.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

One hour and 45 minutes phone call for work :shepicide:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The lady I pay to clean up my apartment also folded the laundry I had hung out to dry, including my trousers.

I don't fold my trousers, I hang them in my closet. I feel terrible about un-folding the trousers to hang them, it means I'm wasting the work she did :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I remembered about a dumb thing I did when I was a stupid 6-year-old kid which was stupid and hurtful towards a person I had never met before and have never met since, and it's made me sad all day :smith:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Had an awesome weekend canoeing with friends, but now my arms hurt from the rowing :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I broke my phone. It still works somewhat, but I'll have to get it fixed since it's a pain in the rear end to use it like this, and the guy I asked for a quote to fix it still hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The phone I broke and posted about in this thread? Apparently it can't be fixed, since there are no parts available for it. According to the guy I asked (who finally got back to me), "It's not worth it for a phone that's a two-year-old model that cost 180€ on release, so they don't sell the parts anymore."

So I had to drop 200€ on a new phone. I can totally afford it, but I wanted to spend those 200€ on something else :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

My parents believe in homeopathy :negative:

They are reasonable people who simply don't know about the difference between that and actual medicine, but the "painkiller" they're taking works perfectly because of the placebo effect, and it's either that or actual painkillers daily which in the long term are bad for you, so I'm torn on whether to tell them or not.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

There isn't a nice sounding alternative word to "Urinal".

I come across this particular First World Problem just now, as I am trying to make some signs for a party in a big outdoor venue - the urinals are in a totally different place to the cubicles, so the signage needs to be specific. The signs need to be highly visible and I don't want people to have URINE silently shouted at them whenever the sign happens to be in their field of view.

Bowls --->
<--- Troughs

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Business dinner tonight. I must have eaten something bad for lunch because throughout the night I had to fart SO BAD, but of course I couldn't because I was in front of clients. I'm not even kidding, I was almost sweating from the effort of holding back.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

My flat is too warm to be comfortable, but not warm enough to justify turning on the air conditioning. Guess I'll have to sleep with my window open and get cool that way.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know if it's different where I live (Italy), but my credit card expenses are automatically paid back at the end of each month directly from my bank account at zero percent interest rate, I only pay like ten bucks a year for the card itself. It's a proper credit card too, not a debit card (it's a MasterCard).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I'm away from home on a business trip, and I forgot to bring toothpaste. It's only a two nights' trip so it's not worth the time to locate a store to buy some (especially since I'm super busy with work), but this means I'll have to brush my teeth four times using just water like a loving caveman.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ask the front desk.

I stayed in a LOT of hotels and motels for my last job, in the range of "super cheap" to "just on the cheap side of middle-priced" and it seemed all of them had a little sign in the restroom saying something like,
"Forget a toothbrush, toothpaste, or comb? We've got your back!"

Though conversely, if you're staying in a nicer hotel, they might actually charge for that.

I think the litmus test if whether they charge for daily access to the wifi or not.

Wish I could do that. I'm out in the boonies for this job, the best I could find is a room in a rural B&B that doesn't even have WiFi (I'm phoneposting). No front desk either, just a guy who said "here's the room key, drop it on the dining room table when you leave, food's in the kitchen, bye" (yes I have to make my own breakfast too).

Tl;Dr: I'm SOL.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

This morning I took advantage of my country's free healthcare to have some blood work done.

I don't know if the nurse hosed up in sticking the needle in or I hosed up in not putting pressure on the spot afterwards, but now my arm looks like as if I'd shot up some serious drugs.

Time to wear long sleeves even though it's still short-sleeve weather :sigh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

A contestant on the new italian Masterchef series is a twenty-nine years old girl who dresses in gothic lolita fashion and whom, when asked "what do you want to do in life" answered "I want to open a maid cafe here in Italy" (and then proceeded to elaborate on what a maid cafe is) :catstare:

And here I was thinking my country was safe from these kind of things :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I really want to play The Phantom Pain but I don't have a gaming PC powerful enough or a current-gen console to play it.

I could easily afford one, but it's too :effort: to build a new PC and I would only use the console for that one game and it would be a waste of money.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Leg day at the gym today. I hate leg day. (Don't skip leg day.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The aerobics class next to the gym I work out at put on Celine Dion as music for their workout and it reminded me how insanely bullshit Titanic's message was and as a result I was mad the whole evening :mad:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I really wanted to go running today but it's raining out and I have a slight cold, so if I'd gone running I would have caught something worse thus ruining my weekend plans.

B-b-but running! :qq:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I took Monday and Tuesday off to go have fun with my friends, got back home at 1 AM, had to get up at 4 AM to do stuff for work, now my sleep cycle is all messed up. I wonder why.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Excel (at least excel 2003, the one I use) only allows for a maximum of 256 columns. Rows can be any number, columns are limited to 256 :iiam:

The client whose office I'm working at today has blocked Facebook on their network, so if I want to check my status during a coffee or lunch break I have to use my cellphone and get off their WiFi.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

kreyla posted:

Tell me more about this hammer drill. I am renting an old house with tough-as-rock walls and don't want to make a bunch of craters just to hang pictures. Maybe I should use Command hooks. I don't know.

My FWP is that my work is having stupid administrative drama that could easily be resolved but isn't.

If you're renting you probably don't want to punch any sort of hole in the walls. Just buy some stick-on hooks and use those.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I really want to go for a run, but it's cold as gently caress and foggy outside, and I have a bit of a cough. Usually this wouldn't be a problem, even if I caught a cold I can get to work just fine (unless it's like a thousand-degree fever), but next week I have a really important business trip and can't risk to miss it. So I can't go for a run when it's this cold.

But running! :qq:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Some of my friends are being extremely dumb on Facebook regarding the whole Paris attacks and ISIS thing :cripes:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I have a coupon good for half-off any item at the sports goods store that's only valid until the end of November, so if I want to use it I'll have to go tomorrow. But I really wanted to sleep in until noon instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

It's less than two weeks to Christmas and I still haven't bought all presents aaaaaaa :derp: