Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Danaru posted:

Well turns out some PS4 streamers managed to solve the virtual cabin and now everyone's dumping unmarked puzzle spoilers, and the huge surprise at the end. Months of anticipation for some jackass to hotdrop the big surprise at the very end completely unnanounced. Like yeah I'm still excited because it's an awesome surprise but boy howdy I sure woulda liked to have Been Surprised by it.

Never go on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

MisterBibs posted:

Youtube thinks I only want to watch Game Grumps stuff. Like, ok, I may have been a bit lazy and just watched a random ton of their stuff (as long as it didn't have JonTron on it), but that's not all I want to watch.

You can tell it you're not interested in the video and/or channel.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A mesh router might also work.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cowslips Warren posted:

Looking into this now...any recommendations?

I thought it'd be easy, because we used to have a router in the spare room, but now that I look there, I don't see that the modem was ever there. A few months back a Cox rep said we needed a new modem, so we got one, and it has the router and modem in one box. It's across the house, so I get dead zones in my bedroom too.

Would a mesh router let me play some actual games or should I call the fuckers at Cox and see if they can move the entire box to the spare room? I imagine they'd have to set up some kinda new hookup for the modem, because it doesn't just plug into a wall socket, right?

I have the Netgear one, which is pretty expensive but speed/ping is identical to the cable I was running across the flat before. You can plug it into the modem via ethernet cable, that’s what I do. Both the base station and the receiver have ethernet ports, too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mikl posted:

The one I was thinking about is the new Moto G, the G6 (probably the plus). It would be a straight upgrade (I have a G4 right now), and has a headphone jack. But it's USB-C :sigh:

Ah well, I will have to upgrade sooner or later, won't I?

If they're available in the US, check out the new Nokias (6/7/8). Yes, they're USB-C, but they have headphone jacks, fingerprint sensors, a really good camera, and are Android One (i.e. no manufacturer bloatware like e.g. Samsung). I have the 7+ and really like it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Go to the other dentist because your pain WILL flare up to "I want to kill myself" 15 minutes after the last dentist has gone home for the weekend.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

YeahTubaMike posted:

When Chrome rolled out this update, literally everyone I know, including myself, immediately tried to figure out how to disable it. Swing and a miss, Google.

2 versions later: it's now permanent and worse because gently caress you.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

frogge posted:

Steam just updated their UI for your games library and it is total garbage. I had to spend a few minutes figuring out the settings to get everything close to normal again, and for whatever reason I can't find a way to force Outer Worlds (which I got on the Microsoft store) to launch through steam like I can with Dwarf Fortress.

I'm pretty sure you can't launch MS Store games from Steam without major, major gymnastics.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

frogge posted:

I got it to work for Minecraft. :shrug: I figured any .exe would work.

If they're UWP, you're screwed because there is no .exe that'll work. I just found https://github.com/BrianLima/UWPHook, maybe that'll help?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Did you delete it from your viewing history? That should fix it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

HOLY gently caress posted:

I can’t wear my Fitbit for longer than a few days before it hurts. I’ve tried wearing it on different wrists, loosening it, tightening it, different bands, and now I think I can literally only wear it when I exercise and have to remove it immediately afterwards. It’s not a huge loss because I don’t exercise that much and I only really use it during the spring fitness thing at work but i liked tracking how much I run around at work (a lot sometimes!) and how far I walk on my commute and it was fun 🙁

Fitbit used to make tiny ones you could just put in your pocket, maybe a competitor still does?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Inzombiac posted:

My house is too big.

We're about to have a friend move in for a while. However, whenever they move out, there's no way we're going to use all of this place.

2600+ sq. feet for two people that work all the time. No kids and not dog, yet.
1/4 acre in the city and a drat fine price.

But... I might get in shape from moving end to end.

Indoor archery range!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sunswipe posted:

I wish Youtube would tell me why it's recommending a video. I might actually click on the 45 minutes "Zach's Gun Rants Compilation" if I knew who Zach was, or who mikeburnfire was (from his name, I'm guessing a caveman), or why the video was there. Is it related to my watching stuff about videogames? My binge watching of Forgotten Weapons? Who knows? Just watch it, the algorithm has spoken!

My list for instantly marking a channel as "don't recommend" includes:

- random person's name with a checkmark
- making a dumb face in the thumbnail
- any list of things (7 tips for..., 25 best javascript frameworks, ...)
- the words "tries", "reacts", "quarantine", "lockdown", "sourdough", "but"
- anything with a Betteridge title
- any other obvious clickbait

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I know no one can fathom Amazon's UX changes any more but a few months ago there was a change where I scroll to the end of page one of a product's reviews (on the main product page) and then it segues into 'read top amazon reviews in other languages'. How many amazon users know another language well enough to grok reviews?? Surely not many, especially in good old :britain:

And it does this even if there are multiple pages of other reviews written in English.

Maybe they want to avoid people delving more deeply into reviews so they're only exposed to the Amazon approved ones. Sigh. It's that isn't it :capitalism:

I mean, I speak 3 languages* and can extrapolate the general sense from more than that but it's still incredibly annoying. Even worse: if a foreign-language review has images or video attached, you can't view them except as the tiny, useless thumbnail. Amazing.

* not trying to brag here, honestly.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Or put the bananas in the oven until the peel is completely blackened, then remove, peel, and add chocolate/cinnamon/ice cream.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bees on Wheat posted:

I think I need to find a ringtone I actually like now that I'm a supervisor at work and I can't just let everything go to voicemail :saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=067YF8KHdTM

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dr Christmas posted:

I have no idea what to get my 2 month old nephew for Christmas.

All the practical, actually-for-the-parents gift ideas are taken.

Drum set.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Y'know what? Sure, what the hell, I'm feeling generous :v: I'll buy a forums upgrade or av certificate for whoever's guess ends up being closest when/if the drat thing turns up.

It's in the washing machine's rubber gasket. If that's actually true I'd also prefer the donation.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have blocked over 50 channels today and cleared my history it's still not stopping.

That's weird - removing a video from history has always worked for me.

If you're on a computer, install the Blocktube extension and put "ASMR" as one of the words to block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They're handy as a quick video to see if it might be worth checking out the channel. Usually, for me anyway, they're people making and fixing cool stuff. Which is what I want.

Only, every video you scroll past counts as watched, as far as I can tell. So, when youtube throws a curveball, you can very quickly end up with your curated feed turned to poo poo.

Blocktube will also kill Shorts entirely if you want it to.