Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I live in the suburbs and work in Yuppie Central as far as the city is concerned.

I never, ever hear the local accents or dialects and it bothers me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My options for lunch near work are mostly overpriced fancy places and it kind of limits my options. The other places make drat fine sandwiches but the mere proximity of places where you can spend $20 and still leave hungry just bothers me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I still need to continually remind myself that I am no longer hell of broke and can afford to do things like buy new shoes when I need them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm having an unreasonable amount of difficulty adjusting to a boss that isn't actively looking for reasons to fire me.

Help me goons, I'm a programmer now and I'm not accustomed to life being so drat easy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I inadvertently started eating like crap and am starting to gain weight.

...but that sandwich place's sandwiches are so drat gooooooood.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I keep trying to come up with new Starbound puns to make fun of it for being a terrible game but I can't.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I want to grow my beard as long as it goes to see how long that is. However I get sick of cleaning the drat thing and I don't want to wait the multiple years it will likely take.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

genetic_knockout posted:

Also I am married so am feeling guilty for finding some dude hot.

Just 'cause you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu.

I need to quit drinking for a bit because I started overdoing it again. But good beer is sooooo goooooooood.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Every time I get the chance to shove my hands in clay it makes me happy but reminds me how sterile my job is. The office is just so clean and I can't dress in rags there.

I much prefer being dirty while making stuff in cheap, old clothing I bought for almost nothing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I can't eat at most of the restaurants near where I both live and work because they serve too much seafood. It just contaminates everything and all the food makes me sick. Places that serve a ton of shellfish can put me in the hospital/kill me.

What I'm saying is that food allergies suck.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I really want a peanut butter sandwich or two right now but I'm out of peanut butter and I drank too much brandy to drive safely so I can't just go to the store.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've had really bad insomnia lately. I finally managed to get some good sleep but I feel kind of off still. It's wood kiln firing weekend and my bleh feeling is interfering with enjoying it properly.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TINY T-REX ARMS posted:

I'm black and that cheeto motherfucker won.

Yeah I think that's a legitimate problem and not just first world whining. God help anybody that isn't a WASP man the next few years.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I went to the urgent care because I thought I had pneumonia. I have COPD so that's a big loving deal if I do.

I don't but my lungs still hurt, I'm sniffling out blood, I'm tired all the time, and just want to sleep all the hours every day. However, I'm still capable of doing a mediocre job at work so I'm not calling off. If I did I'd have to make up a meeting about some HR stuff that will probably be incredibly, fantastically boring.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I realized that I should have just called off but instead I had to drive to a meeting while sick, suffer the whole time at work, and feel like a lazy nitwit because I got gently caress all done. I could have been a responsible adult and slept a lot and rested so I could start getting better. Instead I was a responsible adult and hauled my rear end in to work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I have Indian neighbors that pretty regularly cook dinners that smell absolutely goddamned fantastic but I'm too much of a reclusive programmer type to actually ask about what it is and how they make it. There's a store that specializes in Indian food not far away but it isn't near anything else I ever have to go to so I'd be going out of my way. I could probably go there to ask about Indian food but I also get the feeling that it's going to be full of stuff I'm allergic to. Another first world problem is that there's like a bajillion Thai restaurants here and what little Thai food I've tried was so, so good but my allergies caused problems.

I think I'm the only white guy (well, white-ish) on the floor and I worry that my neighbors think I'm a racist because I'm not in the habit of being outgoing and neighborly. I'm just extremely not social.

That is such a first world problem. I love Asian food but there's just so drat much seafood in it.

I know that I probably should talk to other humans more often but I just plain don't want to. I barely even talk to my coworkers.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Nov 20, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

If you can not be a creep, just ask them. Most Indian people I know (the older ones at least) LOVE talking about food.

Yeah but that would involve saying words to another human.

I don't like doing that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I need to go to the store because I'm out of some essential things but I want to play video games all day.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The dish washer in my apartment is kind of lovely and doesn't do the best job of washing my dishes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm ridiculously bored with my job. Code I checked in two months ago still hasn't been reviewed and I'm still piling even more on the queue. Some of the things I'm supposed to be working on I can't because they either rely on code that needs merged or my work e-mail, which is broken.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That new Microsoft Surface Studio looks rad as gently caress and I'd really like to own one but there are more important places for my money to go right now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My insomnia has been acting up something fierce lately. To make things worse a recent doctor visit pointed out that my earwax is building up like crazy again. I've been dealing with that but now it seems to have gunked up my left ear canal badly enough that I can't hear well out of it and I also have an earache.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Nobody makes the kinds of games I like playing anymore.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

What do you like to play? I'm kinda in the same boat. I think MGSV may be what I want but I can't afford more luxury items for a while.

FWP:
I'm tired of being a bit overweight but mostly I'm sick of feeling weak. Christmas time isn't a big food fest for me so I don't have to wait to change!

Turn-based strategy games, city builders, and the like. A few have come out but they've been underwhelming. The games industry as a whole seems to rely more on flashy visuals and pretty, high-tech graphics rather than gameplay. Favorite games of mine from the past include the Space Empires series, Pharaoh, Caesar III, Patrician III, the Railroad Tycoon games, the Anno games...that sort of thing. You know, Master of Orion, Civilization...that stuff.

As far as those go if the series has gotten a new game it's been appallingly bad. Civilization V was a boring let down (no I haven't tried VI yet and don't care to), Beyond Earth was a wet fart of a game that reviewed so badly I never bothered to try it, Patrician IV was about the same. It just didn't sell well because it was dead on release. Caesar IV was a repetitive, buggy, and appallingly boring game, and Anno 22-whatever made changes I just don't have much interest in. A lot of it just feels like the stupid, garbage quality nostalgia cash ins the movie industry has been up to.

Good 4X games also just don't happen anymore. Endless Space was so generic I swear it was built in a factory somewhere. The Total War series has long since peaked. Shogun 2 was the last one that was any good and even that was very "meh." Any train games that come out just don't have the things that made the Tycoon games fun. I tried Sid Meier's Railroads! but that game was painfully bad.

Despite all of its flaws I liked Emperor of the Fading Suns a lot but nobody seems to want to make a game on that scale these days.

Most games that come out seem to be shooters and I just don't like those much anymore. I want some epic turn-based strategy games that are interesting for 1,000 turns, drat it. I'd like some logistics nerd games or good economic sims but that stuff is harder to make than Call of Modern Warsnake Dutyfield XXIV.

While I'm kvetching about games I'm also sick of seeing $300 of DLC coming out for a game where the base game just plain lacks a lot of the content. Pay to win prerelease goodies make games less fun and should not exist. Prerelease exclusive content in general is also loving stupid. The games industry is not respecting its customers, especially when they release a barely playable, buggy piece of $60 pile of garbage that doesn't even work on release. Then five patches later you can finally play it only to find out that it's a dismal wreck of a game. I quit playing the Hitman series after Absolution. I was looking forward to a new Hitman game after liking the rest of the series but that game wasn't even playable on day zero. When it finally became playable it became apparent that the game wasn't any good and lacked a lot of what made Hitman fun.

My other FWP problem is I fiddle with games in my spare time but I can't decide what idea to pursue. I keep thinking about just sitting down and loving making the games I want to play but it's a mix of :effort: and having trouble deciding. I write code for a living now so there are a lot of days I just don't want to go home and write more.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Dec 12, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I dunno, it seems like maybe you're just burned out on the genre or looking back with rose-tinted glasses.

I still break out Pharaoh from time to time. That's still fun. Zeus can be sometimes. I still play Civ IV despite its faults. Granted mods help the last one...

Total War probably did go stale, though. Granted from what I've heard Total War: Warhammer was mediocre at best. So yeah partially true.

Bees on Wheat posted:

One of my friends from work is in a really awful relationship and isn't ready to leave him yet. She's still justifying his lovely, manipulative behavior by saying things like "well he doesn't hurt me physically.." like that makes it okay. I want to help her, but there's only so much you can do for someone who won't help themselves. :smith:

Some people just can't seem to leave bad relationships. There's thoughts of stuff like "well at least I have someone" or "I can fix this!" Ending a relationship is also a pretty big thing, despite the constant :sever: advice. It's a major change and initiating that is big and scary. What if it gets better? There must be some reason I got into this situation; something I'm getting out of it. Am I making the right decision? What if they get really angry if we break up and something awful happens?

...not that I've stayed in toxic relationships too long with terrible women. Multiple times. Nope. Never did that. Nosiree! I most certainly don't have a problem of "I absolutely cannot talk to women now" thanks to it. Why would I have that kind of problem?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One of my poor guy habits is that I tend to buy a lot of rice. It's pretty cheap and good eatin', especially when you're broke. It keeps for freaking ever so it's pretty easy to keep yourself full of rice pretty cheap. I also actually rather enjoy rice. There's a certain level of food back up plan to that; if I can't afford to buy food I still have my stash of rice to eat until I have money again.

Now, however, I have like 40 pounds of rice and keep not eating much of it because I make enough money that that just plain isn't an issue. I won't be wasting it because, as a former really poor guy, I hate wasting food and keep my food waste as low as possible. But I just don't want to eat this much rice. I bought way too much of it and want to eat other things.

I just realized that a lot of my recent FWP posts are all about "gently caress I'm middle class now and have no idea how to deal with it."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Some of us eat rice voluntarily regardless of how much money we have

I still eat rice I just want not rice often enough that my stash of rice has zero justification right now. I like rice I just have no reason to have this drat much of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

I almost miss being so poor that many of my meals were rice mixed with hot sauce and a can of string beans.

Lately I've been thinking about that too. Being poor was simpler...I took boxes off of trucks, took smaller boxes out of the boxes, and then put those boxes on the shelf. I had fewer decisions to make and there was zero threat of being on call for anything. Food was often whatever I could afford. Now I'm expected to be an expert and am technically on call at all times. I have like 50 options for lunch within walking distance of work and can afford to eat out for lunch every day if I feel like it.

Granted life is waaaaaay better now but sometimes I long for the simplicity I just don't have anymore. It feels silly to bellyache about the parts that do suck because they're minor. Life is pretty good right now, if a bit boring.

I got so accustomed to poverty and making do with nothing that not needing to panic over money to get everything I need just feels weird.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Dec 19, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
At work I was given a task labelled high priority. I normally don't get deadlines but this one had a due date. I stayed late multiple days to get it hammered out.

That deadline was October 31st. I handed in my code on October 15th. To this day it still hasn't been looked at. It's still parked in code review land with stuff I wrote four months ago.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kreyla posted:

While you are still weirded out by your higher income, you should deposit a large percentage of it into savings every paycheck. Retain enough to reward your job change, but now is the perfect time to start saving a whole bunch and building your retirement portfolio. If you're not used to having it, you won't miss it.

Waaaaaaaay ahead of you on that one. I maxed out what my company matches for my 401K. I had to buy a new car (my 1992 Celica which I adored finally died) so I'm not saving as fast as I want but I'm still saving regardless.

Which is another pair of FWPs...I miss driving that car. It was a horrible old rust bucket that smelled kind of funny partly because it was fun to tell people who many miles it had on it. It finally died approaching 250,000. People would go "holy poo poo, what?" There was just something special about 90's Toyotas. Fuckers wouldn't die.

The other reason I wanted to keep it was it actually loving fit me. I'm 6' tall and have long legs. Finding a car that actually accommodates my body and is comfortable is a tremendous pain. The first thing I do when I find a car I'm interested in is get in it and see if the driver's seat fits me properly. If it doesn't then nope. Doesn't matter what else the car has. Most cars suck for me to drive.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Somebody on my floor cooked some fish for dinner that stunk up the whole floor. It smells astonishingly bad.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I started vacation time yesterday. I meant to go see a movie.

Instead I got a migraine.

The other related FWP is I get sick of explaining to people that migraines are not "just headaches." Sometimes they get so bad it's impossible to soldier on and your only choice is to go to bed for 24 hours and wait for it to go away.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I went through a pretty ugly breakup. Now I'm sad and want to drink heavily.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I have 8,644 lines of checked-in code waiting on code review at work right now and basically nothing to do. The only thing that I'm supposed to be working on relies on an external system that is currently broken and might be down indefinitely.

Yes I did have the time to sit down and actually figure out how big that number is. That's what I do now. I. Am. So. Bored.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've been in annoyingly crappy health lately. I don't feel like I'm going to die and can function pretty normally but I feel "bleh" all the time. Something is probably kind of a bit wrong.

I also had to get a new primary care doctor but nobody that was any good had an appointment available until next month. Now I have to wait all that time just to see what's up. I'm half tempted to go bother the urgent care and be like "yo find what's wrong with me?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

I loathe gas stations that have those BLARINGLY LOUD set of commercials on a video above the pump that play when your'e pumping your car. I can still hear it if I go into my car while it's fueling. It also has this sound right before it starts, like to try to comfort you. Kind of like a generic short song at the end of some commercials. doo~doo~doo ~*ding*~

Yes this peaceful nice sound is going to get me ok with the ads that follow it. It was obviously some marketing team that designed this. Marketing in general is poo poo. gently caress marketing.

The only time I've seen this is at one particular gas station. I loathed it from the moment it was installed. It was the same 30 seconds of absolutely obnoxious adverts over and over. I haven't been to that station in a long while but if I had watched ESPN at all I'd have stopped out of spite after those damned commercials on that thing. I'm also now significantly less motivated to ever stop at that gas station, ever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I had to move to The City for my job. I kind of knew it was coming as I chose to be a programmer. All told it's a good career but good luck doing it in a rural place.

But I miss the rural place! I like living in the woods. I like the quiet. I like the terrain of hilly or mountainous, wet and cold places with poo poo loads of trees.

That however puts me in a catch 22 sort of situation. I like the people in The City. I don't miss living around angry, racist white people that hate everything. I especially don't miss the psychotic fundie evangelicals.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

My breakfast consisted of 1/4 of a pie and black tea and now I have a massive headache. Why do I keep doing this? It was a good pie though.

I bought too much bacon (buy 1 get 1 free) thinking it would last a while but apparently it expires in less than 2 weeks so now I have to eat 2lb of bacon. I like bacon but 2lb is quite a lot.

Bacon keeps longer than the sell by. You probably have at least a month. Plus it's freaking BACON. Finding a use for two pounds of it is easy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I have some Amazon gift cards but can't think of anything I want right now that isn't >$500. Even that's less "want" and more "this thing would be useful to have for the things I do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I work in yuppie central so a ton of the places to eat lunch near work are fancy and thus serve piles of seafood which means I can't eat there because of my allergies. That rules out 3/4 of the nearby places.

Aside from the fact that I'm kind of tired of the places I've been visiting I've been eating waaaaay too much red meat, deep fried garbage, and fatty bar food. I should cook more stuff at home to take in to work for the microwave but :effort: