Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mikl posted:

Went downstairs to take out the trash in my pajamas, without any makeup on, and ran into a neighbour :smith:

If your neighbors judge you for having a perfectly normal human moment they're dicks. I mean really, it's taking the garbage out. You don't have to look your best for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
When the traffic signals break you treat it like a stop sign. It isn't that hard to figure out. Not red, yellow, or green? All black? Then stop. Yet you always have that one rear end in a top hat with the attitude of "I only have to stop if it's red and it isn't so gently caress you I'm stomping in the gas."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

I talked about it with my wife, and we reached basically the same conclusions. I think I just let all of that run loose in my mind for a little longer than I should have and wasn't able to catch it before it became a worry.

Thanks, guys. I'm glad to know it's not just me.

One of the problems with modern society is we just have so drat many possible choices. Too many. Grass is always greener and what if thoughts will eat you alive if you don't learn how to deal with them.

So, two things; first off the grass is greenest where you water it. You can't water all the grass in the world but you can pick a patch of whatever size you can handle and make that the best freaking grass you can. Second is study math. It's probably the single most useful academic subjects. Everything in the world is math and if you know how to crunch the numbers you can go in all sorts of neat directions. However if you don't know the math there are a ton of doors that just shut. There are a crap ton of jobs that will hire somebody with no related skills but a math degree for entry level positions. Math and logic classes also teach you a ton more than just math and logic. STEM is absurdly practical.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've been job hunting and keep talking to places demanding multiple years of experience but only willing to offer salaries that are in the bottom like 3% of the profession. I actually want to work and do enjoy what I do but don't think it's unreasonable to be compensated fairly. Instead I keep getting "well this company would be interested but they're not willing to budge on the terrible salary."

Well they can go to hell then.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Entry level position, minimum five years experience required. :fuckoff:

We require at least eight years of experience with Kubernetes.

...that came out in 2014 you dingus.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That candy wall really is a prime example of "you can only consume so much." Yeah a candy dispenser sounds like a great idea and being able to have whatever candy you want whenever you want is great but like...why? Candy isn't exactly expensive and one person can only eat so much of it anyway. That much sugar in one place is guaran-loving-teed to start attracting bugs and critters so it'll definitely be more trouble than its worth. Not only does being rich not magically make you happy but doing poo poo like that is actually a net negative.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought ghost pepper potato chips from trader joe's and there's like zero spice to it. Don't market it as having ghost pepper if it's not spicy. Flaming hot cheetos are spicier than this weaksauce bs.

Wendy's for a brief period did something similar. It was ghost pepper cheese fries or something. Now, I'm a fan of belligerently spicy food so of course I had to get a basket of them.

They were really good pepper cheese fries but weren't spicy at all. Definitely no ghost peppers involved.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I got a new job. I figured they'd be able to keep me busy but I get things done so quickly it's already kind of boring. I have new tasks in the pipeline but I have to stretch it to 40 hours a week and my salary, though pretty good, doesn't match my productivity by any stretch.

This, here, is the ultimate first world problem.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Catch up on some audiobooks or get a kindle

I entered this profession specifically because I like keeping busy. We'll see if I can move to a place before long with more stuff to do or if this place will dump more work on me but yeah...I started listening to pod casts and have been only partly paying attention while listening to other random crap.

First podcast I'll be listening to all of is Ms. Pat's because...well, because she's Ms. Pat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Staffing companies won't leave me alone and I despise them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I still can't adjust to actually having money. It legitimately confuses me.

That's the ultimate first world problem, I think; went from horrid, crushing poverty to a profession that pays very well. I look at the number on my paycheck like "what the gently caress do I even do with this? I guess I can...buy some things? What do I even want?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

I got promoted into a supervisor position at work, and got about a 40% increase in pay (not that I made a ton before, nor do I now), and it still seems like my wife and I don't have very much money. I get paid more, my check is bigger, so how the gently caress is it that it doesn't seem like we actually have more money?

It's easy to spend money and not realize it. Sounds like it's time to make a budget.

You should have a budget. Everybody should have a budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

I am always so utterly ashamed of my interests. I am a thirty-three year old man, I should not like things like video games, heavy metal, comics, and other kitsch things.

It's only acceptable to like that stuff because it's been made insanely marketable. The second it's not making money anymore is the day that stuff becomes shameful like it should be.

Actually it's totally OK to like those things no matter your age. Why wouldn't it be?