Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have decided to start eating better, cutting out chips and poo poo, and my body responds by not being hungry in the morning and going on strike with constipation. It wants its jalapeno chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Got my covid booster shot today. The guy who actually gave me the injection wore a mask. But all of the pharmacist and pharm technicians either had their masks on their chin, or hanging off their ears while they were taking orders or laughing with each other.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I agreed to house and pet sit for my friend, not realizing it wasn't going to be just a weekend, but 11 loving days when I am at mandatory overtime at work.

He has one super old and piss-the-floor dog, and some outside animals that will need to be brought in every night because it's so drat cold. He has been working at home since Covid, so his dog is super attached and freaks the gently caress out whenever he leaves, so she is going to be a mess. She also pisses everywhere, but he is leery of getting puppy pads, instead wanting to use towels.

He complains that he feels bad about this, but I want to shake him and say, rear end in a top hat, when you have pets, you plan your vacations AROUND them. As in, if your dog can't go to a kennel and is gonna piss herself stupid when you go to the grocery store, you stay the gently caress home!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Trying to get estimates to fill in my pool. Fill dirt isnt cheap. And all the poo poo that comes with breaking down walls.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is it a boomer thing or a Cowslips' mom thing where she will announce she is going to bed...and then spend the next 15 minutes yammering on about all the poo poo she saw on Facebook today, did I see this video, did I see this post, and the entire time I can only wonder about the times I was a young kid and kept trying to get out of going to bed by asking questions: it worked once. And then I was told to go to bed or get grounded.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

I have no idea what to get my 2 month old nephew for Christmas.

All the practical, actually-for-the-parents gift ideas are taken.

You can never have enough baby clothes. Get some a few months sized up, like 6-9 month old.

Or a Costco box of baby wipes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Set up to meet someone for a sale today. We made the arrangement Tuesday. Meeting today in about 40 minutes. Got all the poo poo packed and ready, and he emails me that he can't make it but will holla at me later today.

This would not bother me so much save the fact it's 100 loving live mice and now I have nowhere for them to go.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We finally are getting our in-ground pool filled in with dirt. Dude started this morning. But by about noon, it was clear he wouldn't have enough dirt because he didn't measure poo poo properly. Now he is quoting us an extra few hundred bucks to get another ton or two, and it's one of those deals that if we don't pay, the work isn't finished, so not bad for a grifter.

Pissed about this. But what can you do?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got my faucet fixed. Now my computer fan sounds like a teenager revving up his dad's Charger to impress his friends.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Went in for pink eye medicine, and the doctor told me that in addition to Pinkeye, I have super high blood pressure and need to eliminate salt from my diet, and my favorite thing to eat are jalapeno kettle chips.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

dkj posted:

There are studies that are saying sugar has an even worse effect on your blood pressure than salt does.

Oh poo poo.

Well that's lot easier to cut out. I can stop eating candy and poo poo a lot easier, but that will make fruit smoothies a no-go.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My friend works for himself as a general construction guy, and he makes good money, and I'm happy for him, but we used to work together and were of course a lot closer. Now I only see him maybe once or twice a year, and while we chat online sometimes, is usually too tired after work, or he's too involved in a game to really want to chat too much.

So I miss him, and I understand that he's super busy, and it sucks because real life happens and there's not much you can do.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 06:03 on May 26, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuck. Could also be the fact that my period is starting and so everything is blown away outta proportion due to hormones. Being female sucks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Met a dude today to sell feeder mice to. I have extra because most of my snakes are in cooldown, aren't eating, and the mice are getting crowded. So $10 for 10 mice should get rid of some of them! Seeing as the pet stores sell them for about $4-6 each.

We arranged to meet at 8am, he was about 10 minutes late, but was caught by a train and texted me what happened. I get it, trains suck. So he texted me again and asked to meet again today because he wanted more mice. Perfect, I tell him where I'll be at 2pm, he thanks me a lot and agrees to meet there.

1:50, I text him to let him know I'm a bit early but am here, parked by two large white vans. He texts me he'll see me in a few minutes.

2:10, no sign. I text him again, and he says traffic is backed up, be there in about 5 minutes.

2:25: this time he's 5 minutes away. I tell him I am leaving at 2:30.

2:30: he gets to the parking lot, and starts driving in large circles, missing the two vans, and I text him again and he finally finds me. The first thing he says when he gets out of the car: IT ISN'T MY FAULT.

"None of this is my fault!" he yells, and then tells me he doesn't have a tote to transport the 30 mice in, so can he please have the one I brought? I tell him no. He insists it isn't his fault he is late again, and finally offers me $5 for the tote, which is $10 at the store. I tell him it's $10, mostly because the rear end in a top hat could have least have apologized and not started out this deal with screaming how none of this is his fault.

Now down my usual cage-cleaning tote, at least I got rid of some mice. Also had to block the dude because he tried to call and text me again after I left. Like, dude, had you at least apologized or offered to buy the tote right off, or paid me extra for my time, you'd still get the deal. As is? I'll never sell to you again.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My car passed emissions test Tuesday.

On Friday, the check engine light came on.

So car is in the shop getting about $500 of repairs, and I felt bad for the dude at the mechanic (who was not working yesterday) because I called for an appointment yesterday, as apparently many people did, and the rear end in a top hat who took in the appointments never put them on the calendar. Cue today of me and several people being told we had no appointments.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh medical bills.

Paid my two bills to a skin treatment/test place on New Year's Eve. Paid online through my insurance website.

A few days ago I got a paper bill from the clinic saying they never got payment. I called the office, and was told by a snippy woman in billing they hadn't received anything and I needed to call my insurance company so "we get paid."

Called insurance company. On hold various times, finally get told I need to call the payment people. I've been emailing them all day as backup.

Waiting for a reply, I get all the emailed receipts, proving they did in fact get their money, and forward to the clinic, with the dates marked clearly.

The payment people from insurance send me copies of the receipts and say yes, the clinic has received funds and did about two weeks ago. And here's a number the clinic can call if they have issues. They have been paid. They got their money.

I finally get a reply from the clinic, a simple "thank you for the receipts we found the payment."

I almost wish the fuckers had tried to charge my card for this because the thing expired last year. Of course then I'd be dealing with collections.

gently caress you, billing lady. You assholes got your money ALMOST THREE WEEKS AGO. I'd like to send them a loving bill for payment because I had to do the billing lady's homework for her.

poo poo like this is why I don't want to deal with doctors overall. Why the gently caress is there so much paperwork and inefficiency?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I brought my Drake posted:

My 17-year-old cat passed away almost two weeks ago. I am getting ready for an interview for a full-time job for which I have been practicing and rehearsing since December, and the interview is less than an hour away. One of the companies helping me with Pixel's end of life care just sent me flowers and a card. It's an awesome, heartfelt, touching gesture, and I do not need to be bawling like a baby right before this interview. But I am.

I'm sorry for your loss.

One of the worst places I was ever at was the waiting room in the pound/vet area where people came to have their animals put down. Usually because their main vet was closed. I've never seen so many people from clearly so many different walks of life break down sobbing in that waiting room.

I remember reading somewhere that tears were actually a huge reason humans became the dominant species; think back to caveman days. You're hurt, there are tons of predators around, how do you let people know you need help without screaming and attracting predators? That liquid poo poo from your eyes. It is amazing.

My FWP: I don't see one of my friends as much as I used to because her work schedule is insane, her husband doesn't help with the house, and her toddler is super busy and won't go to bed/sleep until after 8pm which just seems way late to me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got a new Pixel 6a phone. Works great. Save for the loving fingerprint scanner is on the front, and no matter how many times I do it, I can't get my fingerprint to register if there is a screen protector on. No protector, no problem.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

There should be a sensitive screen option in the settings. It's meant to help with screen protectors

I tried this yesterday, no dice.

It's just annoying but yeah the fingerprint thing is open for abuse via cop.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
After almost two months (with perhaps a day in between) my friend finally has time for us to rpg tonight but I have absolutely no loving urge to play. Maybe it's the fact I've been put on the backburner when she had time to run her other two games. She started tonight with some "amazing cute ideas in my head!!!" which make no loving sense at all unless you are rpging a drat romcom. A worldly well-experienced prince is not going to ask for loving love advice from a dude he barely knows, let alone the fact said prince has no love interest at all.

I mean we did play tonight but I had to reread the past few pages to remember what we were doing. Which kinda put a damper on the night.

And of course because I didn't expect her to be on, I started painting but it's so loving hot I can barely do one dirty pour without sweating so bad I almost drop the cups.

edit: poo poo, no wonder I've had a bad day, period is on its way. Being female sucks.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Jun 24, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cell phones should be waterproof by now, for gently caress's sake. And we should have Internet coverage everywhere.

As I get older, and my child-bearing years hopefully start to fade, sometimes part of me regrets not having kids. And then I see someone on Facebook where "OMG my kid is gonna be the death of me!" posts where preschoolers/first graders? are caught in insane poses on top of loving playhouses, or eating literal crayons so their teeth are covered in wax, or using Sharpies to cover their skin with drawings, and all I can think is....did I luck out with the four kids I nannied for, where they were fine not being loving hovered over all the time? Are all these pics loving posed? I know kids can get into some drat insane poo poo, but if your four year old is literally eating markers and stamps to the point she swallows them, is that normal?

Of course I don't post anything because I don't have kids, but is that standard with most kids? Did the kids I nannied for just not do that poo poo because I wasn't doing other poo poo, like working from home or answering emails, but was more or less watching them? I could trust the four year old not to color on her sister without standing right over her. I could trust the six year old not to eat paint.

I love kids. I loved helping to raise those four and see what people they became. I hate the child-free screamers who call kids horrible names. But then I see poo poo like that and it just makes me think I am so loving glad I don't have kids, because I'd say or do something that would gently caress them up all because I was sick of cleaning up Sharpie from the walls.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Spent an hour last night setting up my mom's new work computer. Just some tiny mini PC thing, but the monitor power cord didn't work. And since they didn't want us to set up, we had no time to get a replacement.

But that's okay, I took the day off today to make sure poo poo ran smoothly and help her with the setup. Cue sitting through loving Zoom Get To Know You meeting for an hour just off camera range, and then watching the stupid minute long setup vids, and then everyone got to chime in with the IT issues: somone's monitor was broken and screen cracked. Another person's keyboard didn't work. But oh hey, since my mom and the other two weren't new hires, they were transfers, why, they didn't need new setups at all! We can put her old setup back up!

But then because this is Day One of new training, everything else goes to poo poo too. We get her computer back up, all things are good until lunch time. Oh, but they don't get a lunch today! So now everyone is also upset that they only get 15 minute breaks twice because not everyone is set up. There's two IT guys for 12 people.

Six loving hours in and they want my mom to swap to her new PC. We get that done. But it won't log her in. And despite me asking her if she had a way to contact anyone if the new PC doesn't work, she has none. So after 30 minutes of email bullshit (because my mom never likes to delete emails and has about two dozen saved with !!!! marks) we put the old one back in, and now that doesn't log in.

Looks like the three transfers are having issues nonstop because no one in the higher ups realized hey, they can literally use the same systems from before, they don't need more poo poo shipped out. IT has been working with my mom and the other transfers for the past few hours: old passwords are valid and then aren't, and then new sign-ins are invalid and then good, and then everything gets a password lock because of too many attempts.

No wonder this training is going to take six loving weeks when one day is spent just getting people's accounts active.

edit: to add, computer got up to working standard yesterday. Whee. And then today mom isn't happy how she can't just reach between the monitors to turn off the desktop, she has to STAND UP and move around to the side of the table to turn it off! And she doesn't like how the cords look and are all tangled looking, so can I please fix them? Also, why are the cords so tight now? They didn't used to be! Everything worked fine before and now everything is ruined and she hates her job and wants to quit, and I listened to six hours of this on Wednesday. At this point I don't know if I will be relieved when she retires or dread it because now she literally will have nothing to do all day.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Aug 5, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Summer vacation is wasted on children and retirement is wasted on older children, and both groups cannot understand that if you're not part of those groups, you don't get vacation and don't get to be retired. So you can't answer such important questions as, how is your day going, do you like this cute cat picture of your cat I said, oh my God I misspelled her name in it lolol.

You are retired, do something that you always want to do but couldn't because you had to work! Also, please don't complain you didn't get enough sleep last night, because you watched six episodes of Gray's anatomy instead of five, literally you can do nothing but sleep all day if that's what you choose to do!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's always cool words Germans have. I need words for the following feelings:

1. I am a pedestrian in a car so I have no radio/music rights. The driver cannot stop changing the stations every 5-10 seconds if a song they like is not on. The option to turn off the radio never happens. There are 6 presets on the radio. Sometimes we hear the start and end of the same ad in the same rapid click rotation.

2. I am off work or chores and sit down to relax: music does not bother me, the TV doesn't bother me. What does is someone constantly needing to fill the otherwise white-noise-air with chatter. Every 2-4 minutes there has to be talking. Now after about 15 minutes and a snack, I am fine with the steady stream of toddler like questions, but perhaps it's being hangry and needing to decompress. I do not live with a toddler. I don't understand how people with toddlers don't snap.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you shaved off a random section of your beard and then just went and shaved the rest off you missed your chance to get a bizarre John Travolta manscaped beard
https://news.yahoo.com/john-travoltas-bizarre-new-beard-his-latest-97805573471.html

That is legit some AI looking art but I know it's not. Maybe it's the eyes. The eyes, per Discworld rules, never look right.

FWP: having a fight with my friend because he showed up and decided to visit yesterday. This is the friend I house/dogsit for, and instead of paying me, he brings me back souvenirs. Normally I wouldn't want either, but I've been doing this poo poo for over a decade, it's a pain in the rear end to literally be on call 24/7 in case his house alarm goes off (it has in the past, and cue me getting to his house at 2am to check in with the police) and he refuses to give me a garage door opener, and with his three front doors, each one with its own alarm button, sprinting from the trio to the main console to turn it off before the alarm calls the cops is about 40 seconds. Let alone in years past when he had 4 dogs, 2 with medical issues. It got to the point when I told him I couldn't housesit for a week for him, because I was working, he was shocked because I always did it and he had never made a backup person.

Anyway he has had my things for about 3 months. He keeps texting me he'll drop them off at my porch but never does. Yesterday I am at work and he says he's leaving them there in about 10 mins. Okay fine great, I'll be home in a while. But when I get home about 30 mins later, his car is blocking my driveway by half, and the moron is inside. Seems he found my screen door closed but front door opened, and knowing my mom works from home (though retired now, not sure if he remembered that) he started yelling at the screen door that he was here. Real classy. So mom lets him in and they're visiting when I get in, irritated as gently caress from the day and work and the fact he decided he wanted to visit, which really means "I want to play with all your cats and look over all your aquariums and check over your DVDs and see if there's any I want to borrow."

I told him straight out I was not in the mood to be social, he said this was going to be a DROP for over three months, not a loving visit which can last an hour with him, and I just got off work and have evening chores to do. He and my mom chatted for a bit more before he left. I should not be surprised at my mom because since COVID started, she worked from home, and now she's retired, she usually forgets how you need to decompress after work and a good long drive home, and not be social hosting.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
FWP: my mom is retired and wants to adopt a kitten. We already have 6 cats. And there's no fighting among them, everything is cool, so of course she wants to throw a nuke in.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I hate how they do jury duty summons for an entire county. And a whole $12 a day! Wowza!

FWP: my friend and I have been doing online rpgs for over 10 years now. We alternate GM and have done several plays. But now her schedule has changed: mon and tues she has tabletops with in-person groups. and she is asking me to be in a Saturday online tabletop with her and her spouse. and she doesn't understand why I'm annoyed that she has "set days" for other rpgs but not ours. and when I asked hey, do we get a night where it's just for our stuff, she laments even on her busy nights she has all the childcare to do.

And then she got mad when I wasn't all enthused for our current game. Like, if it was that important for you, make some loving time for our stuff too.

I mostly don't want to do the game with her and her spouse because he tried to cheat on her, and does nothing at all for childcare, so why the hell do I want to spend any time with him?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

If that last paragraph was rhetorical, it shouldn't be

Not rhetorical at all, we still live a few states away and it's not like I would be alone with him but seriously.

The best part was his defense that they had vaguely discussed an open relationship once, and since she had never clearly vetoed that, it really wasn't cheating or attempt to cheat. Either that or the better part was he used part of their daughters college fund to go visit high school friends while she stayed at home with their kid, and he asked the lesbian couple in the friend group if sex was on the table for his visit. And was somehow shocked that they were uncomfortable with his questioning, and asked him to leave, which meant he didn't have a place to stay for the rest of the vacation and he had to arrange for an early flight back home 🙂

Totally someone I want to hang around with.

Fwp: did not go for my usual late afternoon evening walk tonight because one of my tortoises decided she was going to dig a hole to lay eggs. Over 2 hours later, not a single egg has been laid, though she has dug the hole, and is currently sitting there and enjoying the space heater and not laying at all.

edit: 11 eggs as of 8:40 and she's done and in bed. Still getting a larger space heater.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Jan 7, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You put it with your wallet or on your coffee table/table you put all your poo poo you will put away one day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Having to relive the childhood pain of your parent wanting to go to a home supply store but now it's because they want your input on faucets and it's been 30 minutes of parent laughing with the sales person about the poo poo on their desk and next we can look at sinks!

It's Saturday. Why is this place a retiree country club?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I drive for work, so I am pretty aware of all the loving insane things to distract you. But when I am a passenger, for some reason I just cannot have the radio on, while the driver talks to me; I can't focus when both radio and driver are talking over each other. I don't know if it's the "driver controls the radio" and the driver in question will literally never turn OFF the radio, just scan through the 6 stations every 5 seconds maximum for at least two run throughs. There has to be a term for this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My mom has been driving me crazy with this loving kitchen redo, which we talked down to new countertops, a new sink and dishwasher. It's been two months since the dishwasher died and it's been hell ever since.

So my friend texts me today and says if I can housesit for him, be a nice way to get away from the remodel insanity. It'll be in a few weeks, so...in theory after everything is done. In theory. Except he's living in a new place, his old one was like 10 minutes away. This one is about 30. And it's not house sit. It's pet sit his two dogs and cat, and his girlfriend's two cats, and keep them company. In addition to, you know, taking care of all of my own pets.

I don't understand how this is a nice way to take a break if I have to run two households of animal chores. The first time I petsat for him, it was a favor because his other sitter canceled, and he had nonrefundable tickets. This is for visiting a friend in another state. And it was still pretty loving nasty because his two dogs were locked up all day and the pee/poop pads had to be changed twice a day.

Meanwhile on Sunday I had asked him if he could maybe check over something/be a backup in case we needed help with the sink install; he's a handyman, and of course we'd pay him. He admitted he had hurt his shoulder and was taking time off work. Okay cool. But to literally ask me the next day to pet sit for him for days without pay? Am I crazy or is that a big loving favor to ask someone?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

You can say no. Just say no.

I did. He was surprised, which made me laugh. Like, here, as a favor to do, here's a house of animals to take care of, plus your own!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have both a Costco and Sam's club membership because I want to figure out which one I actually want to keep. there are much more Costco's around me, but it's always an endeavor to find a good parking spot or to get anything I need without being trapped there for a while, whereas Sam's club seems to have most of the same stuff and is far less busy.

So I need to get some stool softener for my mom, her new medication has a side effect of constipation which the doctor was kind enough not to tell us. checking online, Sam's club lists it, the price and the size. Costco. however, their website says I have to go directly to the store to find out the amount of pills and how much it is. I can't order it online. I can only check the price in the warehouse.

I went to Sam's club.

why the hell is that a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i know!

i mean it would make sense if it was a loving pharmacy prescription.

FWP: years ago our router was moved to the far end of the house, so my computer ended up moved into the living room as opposed to my bedroom so i could still get the drat wifi. but since my mom is retired now, she spends usually the last 3 hours before bed watching all kinds of garbage TV. the latest is a sitcom where, and I counted, in a fifteen minute segment, there was a laugh track after every line but four. I no longer game, so don't need the ethernet connection, and want to move my drat computer back to my room, but I don't want to deal with the spotty Internet again.