Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Volume posted:

I promise you, those of you who are Christians and don't care about soul-winning, that you will hate yourself in eternity. When you see Christians like me (and I say this humbly by God's grace alone) relishing in the presence of thousands of souls who were saved through my soul-winning efforts, and you had no souls saved at all. You will feel ashamed.

Amish Paradise was supposed to be a parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Don't count on it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is the "Practice resisting the urge to argue with a jpeg" thread

Steady as she goes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

More than that, it's the "step back and ask what the gently caress we're arguing about" angle.

So you're saying that if I don't personally act in accordance with my belief that there is no God, in every aspect of my life from dawn to dusk, in a way that passes the muster of logical consistency to any interested outsider, then therefore any arguments I might make toward that belief are automatically discredited?

That's why getting into these kinds of scraps face to face is so exhausting. It's so easy to just steer an argument off into a mudhole by arguing semantics or failing to agree on first principles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What about atheists who had a church/religious upbringing? Some of them hate God because of evil things done to them by teachers in religious schools or by church leaders—people who on the face of it represented God. Antipathy towards God is an understandable reaction, sadly (although illogical).

Some atheists complain of Christian ‘intolerance’ in speaking about hell. But if those who spurn God’s forgiveness will suffer God’s wrath, as the Bible teaches, shouldn’t we Christians be warning everyone about the danger and how they can be saved? How is that ‘intolerant’?

Many complain about hell; they are angry at God because of hell. I understand that teachers in certain church-based schools, and parents in some ‘religious’ homes, commonly used the ‘fear of God’ to make children behave. “You are bad; you will burn in hell if you don’t behave.” But such a simplistic works-oriented approach not only trivializes this most serious of subjects, it negates the Gospel of God’s grace. (We are all ‘bad’ in God’s eyes, and ‘behaving properly’ will not save us—only Jesus can.)

Maybe God and Jesus should settle this argument like men

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same. And even then it was just a sort of vague awareness, like "you're supposed to go to church on Easter too".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gotta admit that last paragraph is the one that makes me maddest

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always wondered why a proverb wasn't to a verb what a pronoun is to a noun

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But she was okay with being on a show called "Wife Swap"

And pocketing $50K

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Alaska hicks are a special breed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, Space Jesus is fine... if you haven't seen Pirate Jesus!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"If we didn't have God, we would all be committing incest!" —The South

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ripped from the pages of Byte Magazine circa 1983

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mathlete posted:

two rival towns should pray that it goes to the other town. see whose faith is stronger

it would be like the opposite of two people trying to call a puppy to find out who it loved the most

Like those people who would go on talk shows after 9/11 and say "The plane was coming straight for my floor, but in the split second before it hit, I prayed to God, and the plane jerked away and hit a different part of the building"

Guess God was powerless to make the plane miss the building or stop the terrorists from getting on the planes to begin with or whatever. 3000 deaths is fine as long as that one dude who prayed is OK.

Omnipotent God needs his millions of mortal slaves for some reason

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

These are the people sharing your roads and operating heavy machinery

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Millenialists and apocalypticists started making a lot more sense to me when I realized they were looking forward to the world ending. They weren't warning the world to change its sinful ways; they were saying "Haha, we're getting saved and you're not, so let's get this show on the road already"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wish they'd admit that all this "wanting to go to heaven" business is just them being self-centered.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Volume posted:

[Question about the logic in light being created on the first day, but the sun being created on the fourth.] 

The sun isn't the only source of light you know? Think of a cloudly day, there's light coming from somewhere.

Does anybody on whatever forums these are taken from take the people who say stuff like this to task at all? Or do they just let each other be stupid and ignorant in peace, even when it would be in their interest to not let each other be dazzlingly wrong about something obvious?

I'm trying to imagine how people like this are capable of running a phpBB

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ This is so close to self-aware it may be the worst one yet.

There's a mind in there somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

The Bible states that Noah’s cargo was limited to land-dwelling animals in which was the breath of life (Genesis 7:15). This clearly excludes fish and other sea creatures, and it probably excludes the insects and other invertebrates.

Well I guess that makes sense, since there clearly aren't any insects anymore

• Locked thread