Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Burged pretty hard tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The McDLT was the only good burger McDonalds ever had and it had non melted cheese.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eggs on burgers is almost enough to make up for the fact that every living thing in Australia wants to kill you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

her0n posted:

- These burgers end up getting kinda chunky once they're cooked, would squashing them thinner before cooking help or would it destroy them?

Smash burg is the way to go. Let the meat come to room temp, then toss a ball (4 oz or less) on a super hot griddle and immediately press it flat and then with a spatula. Cook a minute or two a side. Gives a great crust and moist burger because it cooks so quickly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why does that patty look so dry drat

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

*runs sobbing from thread*

Oh I'd still eat it. I'd eat the hell out of it.

edit: romaine is a good call on a burger. Sturdy lettuce, won't get limp quite like iceberg can.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You didn't eat no burger

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Yeah really confused why there's a tin can next to your burg

Tin cans are gonna replace mason jars as the thing you get pissed about when you see someone drinking from one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've got some bacon curing in the fridge. Once it's ready, gonna make my favorite burg:

Ground chuck smashburg
Bacon
Stilton blue cheese
caramelized onion
homemade secret sauce (thousand island, more or less, but with a kick)
homegrown tomato
iceberg or maybe romaine lettuce

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Sriracha instead of ketchup?

Homemade mayo, baby gherkin relish, ( sometimes homemade balsamic) ketchup, L&P, and cayenne are the main ingredients.

edit: Also, I don't care for sriracha. I think it's overused and it tends to dominate and muddy the flavor of whatever it's used in. I much prefer sambal oelek in any application where sriracha would be used. (Or angry lady chili crisp)

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 19, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not only do I love mushrooms but it looks like those have a righteous sauté on them. Would.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

Dear Burger Thread:

Why have I read in some magazines that one should crumble pieces of bread or burger buns and mix it into the meat before grilling? I did that once and it was ok, but it mostly just looked weird.

Because those people suck a burging and want you to make a meat loaf on a bun instead.

Do not be led astray by them, for theirs is the way to ruin and scorn.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made what has become, for me, the ideal burger.

Toasted potato roll top
Spicy secret sauce
Homemade apple wood smoked bacon
Garden tomato
iceberg lettuce (boooo)
Stilton blue cheese (Melted/toasted with a Searzall)
ground chuck smashburg
caramelized onions
toasted potato roll bottom

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That burger was so big it broke the table hahaha no but seriously you might want to thumbnail it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait so furger isn't a portmanteau of fur burger?

edit: poo poo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jamsta posted:

I cheaped out on the fries.. and need to work on my smash skillz, more flatness required...

It helps to have the meat room temperature. I use a big round metal spatula and then another spatula that i can press straight down with to smash it as much as possible. I use 80% lean, measured into 4oz portions. Some folks do 3oz or even smaller patties.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jamsta posted:

I'll try the room temp next time, though I thought warm beef is harder to shape?

I underestimated how much a smashed burger expands... needs to be real flat...

I portion it and roll it into balls while it's cold, then set it out an hour or so before I'm ready to cook to come up to room temp.

edit: The spatula I use looks like this one. It's bendy though, so I have to press straight down on the flat part with something else to get full smashage. http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/browne-foodservice/574384/p1354981.aspx

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cutting board? No, you put the ball of meat in the hot skillet and press it there that's what helps get the char.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jamsta posted:

I didn't know that made all the difference, will try that next time :D

Just put the ball in the screaming hot skillet and smash. Repeat with the next one. If you wait to smash them, then you risk squeezing out burger juice and that's bad.

Also, don't go leaner than 80%, they won't smash as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dammit now I gotta make a burg wellington.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

I suspect you paid more literal dollars for that tiny rear end burger on an empty plate than you spent words on describing it.

You know why I know I'm correct? Because the number of words you spent is still zero despite taking an hour and 11 minutes to get your post right. (okay I give up, my math is busted today, otherwise the point stands)

Not like you broke tables on my reasonably-large monitor with a picture of a 3" wide burger on an empty plate or nothing.

but hey you got two or three different types of lettuce leaf on there so it looks good on film

You're getting awfully mad over a picture of a burger

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a righteous burg. I've never understood folk that put an egg on a burg but cook the egg over hard. Such a travesty.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

So serious question. When I was in paris, literally eveything tasted better. The bread was better, the butter was better. Everything.

Was that just tourist rose colored glasses or is it something else and can I capture it here at home?

The bread didn't have corn syrup and the butter was probably cultured (as in bacteria that gave it flavor, not as in a trip to the Louvre).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought it was a sex joke. Still do.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The McDLT was the best burger they ever had.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

So the dlt is a quarter pounder deluxe with a kickin rad package.

It was great to go because the lettuce stayed crisp until you were ready to eat it. Really wasteful packaging, but good burger.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren't you supposed to put your own burger in one of those squares

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My god

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. I've had carmelized onions on a burger and it was....weird. Definitely prefer raw red onion or grilled sweet onions over anything else on a burg.

I caramelize the hell out of onions for burgers. Most times it's drat near onion jam. But it goes great with spicy or acidic condiments.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

KFC in Australia has the black buns ATM, and they taste slightly like charcoal.

I'm pretty sure the Japanese black buns used some sort of vegetable ash, so that's not surprising.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat burger thread you delivered this morning. Looks like a trip to Five Guys awaits me today.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like cooking on a griddle/cast iron because you can get a crust that way that isn't possible on a grill. I may try the baking steel on the grill method next time. I only do smash burgers these days, but that may be a good way to get a little smoke flavor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

I tried to eliminate all the smoke inside and make smashed burgers with my cast iron on a gas grill, didn't get hot enough (yes I left it on there for a while before adding one burger at a time).

I have accepted indoor smoke.

I have a huge cast iron skillet that I use over a propane burner for a turkey fryer. It's also what I use for stir fry. Keeps the smoke outside. and gives me the heat that not even my big burner on my gas range can do. The propane burners are pretty cheap, too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ogopogo posted:

Burgs from the last few days.

Smash burg on the cast iron

Burg off the grill with badly sliced onion and avocado

Looks tasty but that first burg looks way too thick to be a proper smash burg. How big was the meat ball you used? 3oz is about the biggest you'd want.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Burged pretty hard tonight. Double smash burger with provolone and sharp cheddar, and caramelized onions.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Modernist cheese singles are the way to go if you want something that melts properly and is also good cheese.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

what % liquid do you use for slices?

25-30%. I start low and add a little liquid if it doesn't flow well enough to be a thin slice. And 3.5% sodium citrate.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna burg so hard today. Step 1: Modernist blue cheese slices

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Burger plan coming along nicely.

Finished cheese slices

Homemade mayo for the special sauce

3lb of Vidalia onions slowly caramelized until jammy and delicious

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wrapping up my national Burg Day burgs

Secret sauce. Shhhhh. (the unlabeled things are kosher dills chopped, homemade mayo, caramelized onion jam)

My burg
2 3oz smash patties
secret sauce
bacon
caramelized onion jam
cheddar and (modernist) blue cheese slices
romaine lettuce
potato roll

• Locked thread