Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

no milk will ever be our milk - col veronica santiago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Eonwe posted:

no milk will ever be our milk - col veronica santiago

*all the laughter dies down, some guy clears his throat*

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Mahatma Gandhi: This could be our milk.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Mahatma Gandhi: This could be our milk.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

rediscover posted:

you jackass.

Doom existed if only to lead to the birth of the majestic game that is Heretic: Shadows of the Serpent Riders, and if you can't understand or accept that you probably shouldn't even be playing video games.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
people only like doom because the beefy guy on the cover had an ab window

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pookum posted:

people only like doom because the beefy guy on the cover had an ab window
That guy can rip and tear... my rear end, that is.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
UT is better than quake tho

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Eonwe posted:

UT is better than quake tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qileP4bAzek

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its like if I had to give a score to UT it would be a 95
if i had to give a score to Quake it would be a 94.9

so its close

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Eonwe posted:

its like if I had to give a score to UT it would be a 95
if i had to give a score to Quake it would be a 94.9

so its close

:yikes:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Oxyclean posted:

Doom existed if only to lead to the birth of the majestic game that is Heretic: Shadows of the Serpent Riders, and if you can't understand or accept that you probably shouldn't even be playing video games.

The Tome was a cool FPS item.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
ultimate doom is the perfect game.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
The shareware episode of Doom is the platonic ideal of single-player FPS that has yet to be surpassed.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Overbite posted:

ultimate doom is the perfect game.

Doom 2 is better.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Doom 2 is better.

Now listen here, Doom 2 is not as good as Ultimate Doom because of the following reasons. Firstly, the level design isn't as good. Ultimate Doom has a couple duds but Doom 2 has a good chunk of awful maps, pretty much every "city" map is terrible. Even some of the hell levels at the end have stupid "shoot this wall texture because it opens up the secret room the level exit is in" and "open this hidden door to continue the level". Secret stuff like that should lead to secrets, not the end of the level. Sandy Peterson is a chump.

And the super shotgun is so good it ruins the gun balance. In Ultimate Doom every gun is useful for different situations. In Doom 2 the super shotgun is always the best weapon for everything aside from the times you need to kill a cyberdemon or mastermind.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

doom 2 is #1 da best

ultimate doom is p good, but its no doom 2

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
oh my god

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Overbite posted:

Now listen here, Doom 2 is not as good as Ultimate Doom because of the following reasons. Firstly,

made that funny and good for you.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Bolverkur posted:

made that funny and good for you.

thanks for the hot comedy tips but i had actual reasons. reasons that needed to be said.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Overbite posted:

thanks for the hot comedy tips but i had actual reasons. reasons that needed to be saids.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I tried it on the windows source port and it controls like rear end and the levels suck! gently caress you!

yes sadly the aleph one guys are retarded and are insanely obsessed with making the port as faithful as possible even if it makes controlling the game super lovely.

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

this is diarrhea

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
alright folks... let's get this straight... quake has Quake 4 and what does Doom have? doom 3. THREE. that's 1 less. gently caress off

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

THE PENETRATOR posted:

alright folks... let's get this straight... quake has Quake 4 and what does Doom have? doom 3. THREE. that's 1 less. gently caress off

doom 4 is coming out

but they're calling it do4m

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OP, while Doom II remains the peak of single player FPS play, Quake III reached heights in competitive play that the simplistic Doom Deathmatch experience couldn't hope to match.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxyclean posted:

Heretic sucked rear end idiot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Overbite posted:

Now listen here, Doom 2 is not as good as Ultimate Doom because of the following reasons. Firstly, the level design isn't as good. Ultimate Doom has a couple duds but Doom 2 has a good chunk of awful maps, pretty much every "city" map is terrible. Even some of the hell levels at the end have stupid "shoot this wall texture because it opens up the secret room the level exit is in" and "open this hidden door to continue the level". Secret stuff like that should lead to secrets, not the end of the level. Sandy Peterson is a chump.

And the super shotgun is so good it ruins the gun balance. In Ultimate Doom every gun is useful for different situations. In Doom 2 the super shotgun is always the best weapon for everything aside from the times you need to kill a cyberdemon or mastermind.

Doom 2 is better because there are almost no enemies in Doom that can hit a moving player. It's simplistic and making actual challenging levels (E4M2) is much harder.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*Throws an incendiary grenade into this thread and slams the door shut*

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I have no strong memories of Heretic except for the Tome of Power and the guns.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Knuc U Kinte posted:

*Throws an incendiary grenade into this thread and slams the door shut*

player tried to put the pin back in

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

AHungryRobot posted:

yes sadly the aleph one guys are retarded and are insanely obsessed with making the port as faithful as possible even if it makes controlling the game super lovely.

marathon 1 is just plain not good, it's 2 and infinity that are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

marathon 1 is just plain not good, it's 2 and infinity that are good.

all of them are top tier but imo the definitive marathon edition was the xbox 360 version of marathon 2, that added an endurance arena mode

• Locked thread