Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Remember Spore? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I didn't play it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:gas:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

it was bad

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I've gone back and played it for at least 30 minutes about once or twice a year since release. lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I've gone back and played it for at least 30 minutes about once or twice a year since release. lol

dafuq

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Remember Spore? lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i made so many dick monsters

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think it's whenever I watch a documentary or listen to a audiobook about civilizations or evolution or if that kind of crap comes up in one anyway and I'm like, Yeah, Hell yeah, I'm gonna hit up that Spore.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Wormskull posted:

edwin... bruh....

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I think it's whenever I watch a documentary or listen to a audiobook about civilizations or evolution or if that kind of crap comes up in one anyway and I'm like, Yeah, Hell yeah, I'm gonna hit up that Spore.

I watched the entire Godfather trilogy while grinding for cool drops in FFXIII.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
whenever im grinding in a game i like to listen to dragonforce to get pumped

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the only good thing to come out of spore was the creature that farted in its own face and then smiled

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Spore tried to be five games in one but each section was way too shallow for the game to be good.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Will Wright was my favorite game developer, until Spore. For a while I thought Oh it must of been EA's fault but he came out and took all the blame and whatnot.

To pay tribute to the Will Wright who died sometime between 2006 and 2008, and to remember him as he once was, here are some classic films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQBS8x3NLUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLgTe-cFtIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ribCHNTQb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNt7AYGTfAE

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
are there any has-been game developers who have made any good games after they left their original studio

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Slam Whale

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
it was a huge let down once you got to space. like why the gently caress would i care about terraforming hundreds of lovely planets, I wanted to nuke other planets from my space ship

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In fact I think Will Wright's death made me not give a poo poo about any developers or what they had to say or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I think Kojima is fairly epic, and Shiggy of course, and Lord British is always a classic, but I just can't be bothered anymore, now that Will "The Wright Hand Of Jesus" Wright is dead.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
will wright was involved with the ebola virus that was simcity 2013 right

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

vug posted:

are there any has-been game developers who have made any good games after they left their original studio

Julian Gallop's Chaos Reborn is apparently really good (in Early Access atm though)

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

hubris.height posted:

will wright was involved with the ebola virus that was simcity 2013 right

As far as I know he hasn't had anything to do with any video games in particular since Spore.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Sim ant and Sim life were way better than spore. poo poo sim life even had a creature creator

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember the lovely strategy game they had right before you went to space. It was like a stripped down real time version of Civ that was awful.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Lord british didn't make any more good games but he did go into space and he's got a cool mansion full of secret passages and statues and stuff so I think he comes out looking pretty good

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the cell stage and creature stage were fun to play through once or twice.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
the cell stage would probably make a pretty fun phone game

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

remember dark spore?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

remember dark spore?

I doubt the team that made it does either. :v:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Spore was such a big letdown that, for many gamers, it killed off the ability to feel excitement entirely.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i bought spore during the xmas sale just now because i never played and was way curious. it really is not good. the best parts of it are boring at best. even the creature creator is pretty dull. i mean i was prepared to think this was all incredible back in like 2007 or whatever but no. it's bad. it's bad. it's bad. the funny bit is how at the tribal stage it just turns into a bad rts where the only command that matters is attack->move and the creature creator becomes a building and unit designer thing and ugh. it's bad.

i wanted to populate my planet with user made critters but i would have to sign up for some ea account thing? i thought it would take my origin account, but no. so i didn't do it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

creature stage was OK but there was not a lot to do. i made a bird critter.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I wonder how bad the reaction to Duke Nukem Forever would have been if the gaming community wasn't mostly disillusioned by then

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The space exploration part was kinda cool but the game was buggy as hell and crashed on me several times as I tried to leave the atmosphere which also killed my interest in the game.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
also im pretty sure it installed some kind of weird DRM on your computer that stayed on there even if you uninstalled it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Remember when Robin Williams played Spore at E3? And now he's dead

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Remember when Robin Williams played Spore at E3? And now he's dead

my only regret is that he did not live to see the live action zelda series

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW